Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A Downtown Detroit variant

Made this in Sketchup. I changed most street names, though the map is still incomplete. But it's enough to provide the fellow DYers some humor. Don't forget to leave a comment, especially those about pretend visits to my version of downtown Detroit. Below's the map:

Name:  altdetroit.jpg
Views: 9729
Size:  51.6 KB

Make so we can click on it and make it bigger mtburb.

Don't want to sound too critical, but Bates was reconstructed between Jefferson and Atwater a few years back. Its missing.

Cool job though! What are you going to use this basemap for?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Don't want to sound too critical, but Bates was reconstructed between Jefferson and Atwater a few years back. Its missing.
    I apologize for leaving out the part of a street named for the region of metro Detroit I live in between some mega avenue and and a street named so because it runs next to the Detroit Strait. It wasn't on the actual map I made.

Anyways, the changed names are also done throughout the rest of the metro area. Here's two websites about the history of all those fictional homes and stores along two of those in Downriver.

This one is for the ones along the mega avenue.
    And this is for the ones along a road named for some cartoon character, Huckl- I can't pronounce the rest of his name!

Ignore the parts of the URL after "/street/", they are just fooling you! And beware of the popups!

And I've also heard a rumor someone named "Hoffa" is sleeping immediately below the basement of a building complex on the south side of the mega avenue between a street named for a Red Wings player and one named for a character whose name begins with "Daf" and has been asleep down there ever since concrete was being poured down there during construction 36 years ago.
    Last edited by mtburb; December-28-11 at 08:47 PM.

No reason to apologize. Its not on a lot of maps yet and unless you're looking for it its easy to miss! I was simply trying to be constructive. The road was put in to allow for a better connection to the riverfront for the port. With the reworking of roadways around the ren cen, there was a need for this.

Just up another street, this one named for a bow-tied bear who is friends with that other character I mentioned earlier, is this beautiful gem.

Here it is in 1997.
    And in 2009.

Not muched changed in those 12 years, other than the construction of two billboards facing downtown.

Nearby, on the street named after me, is the city science center which recently closed due to underfunding.

In 2009, a useless expansion [[useless because it would close two years later) is under construction.
    Last edited by mtburb; December-29-11 at 12:16 PM.