Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Wyandotte Post Office to possibly close

Even though the article is almost a week old, I am posting it because it is sad news for my hometown.

http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...f144422425.txt

Places like River Roge and Wyandotte seem to rank even lower than Benton Harbour, Detroit and Pontiac to the state and to business. When will they get EFM's? I'm guessing sooner than later if trends and demographics do not start changing.

I am not sure what decreased mail volumes have to do with cities like Wyandotte needing an EFM. Please expand in this.

I can't speak for Rouge, but I do know that for this fiscal year Wyandotte has a balanced budget and we have the flesh hanging off our bones to prove it. We also passed a small, time limited millage increase.

As for our local P.O., the postal service has to make cuts. That's prudent budgetary planning.

I am a little bummed that it is "my" P.O. that is closing, but those are the breaks.

There were also rumors that Riverview's post office would close, but that won't be happening. If our post office were to close, it would mean that 25,883 residents would get all their mail from Southgate's post office and deal a big blow to the recession in Wyandotte that already resulted in the closure of two elementary schools. But there is an option of including a mailing center when they move city hall to the Chase bank now owned by the city at Biddle and Eureka next year.