Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hotel Roosevelt action

Drove by tonight on my way to St Andrews and found two massive dumpsters full and no windows. Word on the street says full gut and studio apartments. Anyone hear anything more definitive?

what is the hotel roosevelt?

It's on 14th street adjacent to the Michigan Central Station:
    Name:  MCSHotel.jpg
Views: 1811
Size:  19.4 KB

I drove by again on my way out of town for a more comprehensive look and it is GUTTED! Looks like [[from street level in the black of night) that all the interior walls have been removed, there are three massive dumpsters not too, and they're definitely not done as debris is hanging out of windows. Pretty interesting. Detroitplanner that article is just over a year old, you know for sure Dennis is doing it [[I know he owns the place but I also know he has a poor track record for rehabs except for two or three buildings he owns).

Either way if it all pans out that will be a really cool spot with about half of the rooms it had before [[Jerry Paffendorf gave me a tour of the place earlier this year and each room was tiny, as humans we've grown a bit since the early 1900's).

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Either way if it all pans out that will be a really cool spot with about half of the rooms it had before [[Jerry Paffendorf gave me a tour of the place earlier this year and each room was tiny, as humans we've grown a bit since the early 1900's).
    Its expectations that have grown, not humans! Old hotel rooms were large enough to put a bed. Many did not even have a private bathroom, but one was shared between several units.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Its expectations that have grown, not humans! Old hotel rooms were large enough to put a bed. Many did not even have a private bathroom, but one was shared between several units.
    as is the case with this building

I live half a world away but even I know that the only buildings on that corner are the hotel and some houses on the right side. Am I right?

The Mercury Bar is right on the corner of Michigan and 14th. The hotel and house are down a ways. Not much else in the area except the old post office and the MCS. I'll try to do a Google Map...
    Name:  MCSGoogle.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  51.1 KB
    Name:  MCSGoogle3.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  60.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by EZZ; December-27-11 at 09:57 PM. Reason: added google views

I want to delete that 3rd picture but it won't let me do it...Here's a Mercury Bar thread
    Last edited by EZZ; December-27-11 at 10:10 PM.

Occurrence Guest

Wasn't this place used as a halfway house back in the 90's before it was closed for good?

Pretty cool that they are saving the place.

Quote Originally Posted by EZZ View Post
    It's on 14th street adjacent to the Michigan Central Station:
    Name:  MCSHotel.jpg
Views: 1811
Size:  19.4 KB

Hey EZZ! What year is that pic of the Roosevelt Hotel from? I Love it!

2001 or so. I had a piece 'o crap 640 x 480 camera back then.
    I heard it was a boarding house but a fire shut it down - not sure what year.

The first aerial photo shows scrubby vacant property between the Roosevelt and Michigan Ave, but in the others that property seems to be freshly paved with concrete but with a curious open area in the middle. Is this parking for the Roosevelt?

Slow's paved the land for overflow parking at their restaurant. Bing maps shows it quite nicely after it was cleared but before it was paved. If you zoom in on the Roosevelt, you can see it very well.

http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#/qm0vqksr7oxtcg03

That's the Roosevelt on 14th Street running along the top of the photo, and Michigan Avenue pointing east at the left border.
    Last edited by downtownguy; December-31-11 at 02:04 PM.

Looks like Detroit's no-so-favorite developer is going the re-open the Roosevelt as a hotel.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/R...7re+SO+Detroit

I was told it was being turned into a hostel for urban explorers, back packers, and economy-minded travelers.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I was told it was being turned into a hostel for urban explorers, back packers, and economy-minded travelers.
    That would make sense - I can't see him turning it into a first class joint and its not the best location for that anyway. Hostel-level seems more likely. At least its being saved.

Good to hear something is happening. This is a building I know well mainly because of my liking for the tasty food at slows. I didn't give it much hope, but a mid level hotel would be a great idea considering that there isn't much to be had between the luxury hotels and the "by the hour" places in the city. Great location for young artists/tourists.