Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Lions fan struck and killed by DDOT bus

Tragedy struck right outside Ford Field in Detroit on Saturday. As a young fan was leaving the game, he ran in front of a bus and was hit and killed, said police.

LINK

yes i was there...it was fuckin horrible....

Yeah this is really tragic - per one commenter to another report online some jerks where snapping mobile phone photos. Horrible....

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...me-20111224-rs

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    yes i was there...it was fuckin horrible....

oh that's just awful. prayers for the family.

My prayers goes out for the family of the deceased and for the bus driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    per one commenter to another report online some jerks where snapping mobile phone photos.
    Well, of course. Gota get'em on LoserTube ya'know.

And what difference does it make where the person was coming from or going to?

Sad story but I have to say I'm not too shocked. Sports fans, especially football fans for some reason, walk wherever they want when they dump out to the streets after a game and essentially dare traffic to stop for them. I know I'm guilty of doing this a couple times myself. Woodward may be the only exception where the traffic cops have some control before and after games. People do the same thing at the 36th District court, just crossing wherever they want, pausing in the middle of the street to wait for a car with right-of-way with no fear of tickets. Just a senseless way to go.

Why don't we leave it at 'this sucks' for a few days instead of the "I'm sorry BUT..." statements?

I hate to be that guy, and I'm usually not, but I notice this for every game downtown [[I usually work when there's games). People are reckless and I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner. Like I said, this is a sad story and hopefully his death is a wake up call but he essentially stepped into traffic which is a pretty stupid way for an adult to die.

Well any death is sad and this one untimely. It was a stupid way to go whenever ya get around to talkin about it. Feel bad for the bus driver because there probably wasn't a damn thing she/he could do. Not to mention any riders. They will have to live with this the rest of their lives. Prayers to all involved.

Look man I dont care if it was stupid or what NOBODY desrves to go out the way this guy did. Do youhave any idea what a BUS can do to the human body? I literally saw man spread all over woodward between hockey town, 75, and the church across the street. Whether is was stupid or not is a moot point. To see shredded skin. muscle, skull and bone in the midst of a 30 foot long grease spot was enough for me to simply pray for him and his family. Anything else as to pertaining to WHY or HOW it happen means nothing considering that not only i am traumatized by it, consider the driver, the young lady riving that bus who hit him, the passengers on that bus...the ones who were on my bus who witnessed that? So the fact that we are so willing to write this off as somehow his fault does NOT change the fact that this ONE death has affects literally hundreds of people who were there when it happened...

But if you want to accuse someone....accuse the three gentle who WERE taking cell phone pictures and texting the grisly scene Yeah I saw that too....

While unfortunate and I do send my condolescence to his family, folks like One Shot make an excellent point. He pretty much said to death "COME AND GET ME MF'ER, I'M RIGHT HERE OUT IN THE OPEN WAITING ON YA!!!" given the way it transpired.

We should nominate this guy for a Darwin award.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-25-11 at 08:30 PM.

Ravine Guest

Everything about it is horrible & tragic, and I'm sorry that you wound up seeing it, Stylin.

Who knows just how & why it happened.
    At age 15, I was out, running the streets with some friends. They had gotten a bit ahead of me and they crossed 12 Mile Road. We were all being typical kids: goofy and careless.
    I, eager to catch up with them, stepped off of the sidewalk [[this was on the overpass-bridge at 12 & I-94) and right into the path of a car that had exited the freeway and turned left onto 12 Mile.
    Just like that.
    For all we know, the guy was just excited and wasn't paying attention.
    Awful things can happen in the blink of an eye, and sometimes there is no more to it than one false move at the wrong moment.

Occurrence Guest

I don't feel too bad. These people should know not to get in the way of a moving bus. Darwin Award.

It's not just sports fans. On my bike commutes into the Chicago loop I see plenty of people on cell phones march into traffic without looking. Fortunately no one is ever going faster than 25 mph so I haven't witnessed a fatality. But as sad as this incident is, I'm not surprised. I just expect people to walk into traffic whenever driving or biking downtown.
    Last edited by wolverine; December-25-11 at 08:32 PM.

Ravine Guest

"Darwin Award," my ass. A couple of you are so goddam small, in the heart, that it's a wonder how the damned things can pump blood through your entire bodies.
    Or, maybe you're those twins who summoned Mothra.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    "Darwin Award," my ass. A couple of you are so goddam small, in the heart, that it's a wonder how the damned things can pump blood through your entire bodies.
    The Shobijin? Every news report says the guy ran in front of the bus. The DDOT will probably get sucked into some lawsuit or another. Oddly, no news report brings up the cellphone cameras. It's a buzzkill on the play-off berth news

To be awarded a Darwin, one needs to be doing something comPletely stupid. Stupid like mixing homemade gunpowder in a cement mixer or hot-wiring a car with the leads from your pacemaker or using words and cultural references without understanding their meaning.

Now, it is some like that last one which truly deserves the Darwin; because when women folk learn of such misshapen and heartless stupidity they will stay far away and leave such people with only their usual blow-up doll dates.

Those with any sense, who understand the tragedy of mistakes, those with compassion for others need to find what comfort they can in the secure knowledge that the heartless will never find a mate and therefore those errant seeds with float harmlessly earthward on the tissued wings of a Kleenix.

Ravine Guest

Well said, Gnome. I tip my hat to you for your masterful post.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    Every news report says the guy ran in front of the bus.
    Exactly.

Like I said, it's unfortunate what happened to him and I do feel sorry for his grieving loved ones, it doesn't mean it wasn't completely stupid as to how he met his death.

I mean, only an idiot would run in front of a moving bus. If this were a young child who didn't know right from wrong, then we certainly can't say the child did a stupid thing and fault them, but we're talking about someone in their 20s who should know how to look both ways before crossing a street, or better yet use a cross walk.

BTW, the exact qualifications needed to be rewarded a Darwin Award is to SELF-SELECTINGLY remove yourself from the gene pool. This guy did just that. He eliminated himself in an extremely idiotic manner.

Ravine Guest

Gosh, now I feel so... harumphed.
    AIIGAS, I did not know, until this very moment, that there really is an official, Honest-to-Kong Darwin Award. The red carpet scene, prior to the ceremony, must be dull, seeing as how most celebrities are not even quite up-to-speed with the whole primate thing, and amphibians take too long with hair & makeup.
    Oh, sorry. What was I saying?
    Ah, right. Apparently the IQ of the deceased has been called into question, as though deductive reasoning [["Can I be struck by a moving bus, survive in good health, and still be eligible for a non-existent award that is cited in pursuit of mean-spirited wisecrackery?") came into play, as though it was some kind of poor judgment, with the tragic end being avoidable with just a smidgen of better decision-making.
    It's too late to check, but I think I may have eliminated a couple of you, myself, if ya know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Look man I dont care if it was stupid or what NOBODY desrves to go out the way this guy did.
    Stylin, I'm sorry you had to witness that; those images will remain with you forever.

Personally, I think it was a series of unfortunate incidents that came together and it wasn't really anyone's fault per se. That poor kid, probably happy with a Lions win, ran out into Woodward without looking; the bus driver didn't see him, people next to the kid didn't pull him back...if any one of those things would have happened differently, the kid would most likely be alive today.

I'm not going to cavalierly shrug my virtual shoulders and say he deserved it or was stupid -- a kid was killed in a most gruesome manner on Christmas Eve. I'm sorry for everyone involved*; the people who witnessed it, the driver and the kid's family and friends.

[[*except those fucktards taking cell phone pics -- they can die in a fire as far as I'm concerned)

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    If thinking someone is incredibly dumb for walking out in front of a moving bus, than I guess I'm a bad person.

I'm not glad he died by any means, but I also don't feel bad for him. I do feel bad for the people, including the driver of the bus, who were negatively affected by witnessing this persons stupidity.

This sounds like it was an accident that couldn't be avoided, but there is a lot that can be fixed with DDOT's crazy driving. Diesel buses should not be blowing red lights or doing pedal-to-the-metal, off-the-line acceleration in the CBD. Whether I'm on foot, on bicycle, on motorcycle, or in a car, these vehicles make me very nervous.

HB

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    If thinking someone is incredibly dumb for walking out in front of a moving bus, than I guess I'm a bad person.

I'm not glad he died by any means, but I also don't feel bad for him. I do feel bad for the people, including the driver of the bus, who were negatively affected by witnessing this persons stupidity.
    Can't you say your condolenses and leave it at that like a normal human being? Or not say anything at all . Even posters on the News and Free Press articles had the good sense to do this without being asked. Please do humanity a favor and shut the fuck up
    Last edited by MSUguy; December-26-11 at 12:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast