Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Air Jordan release leads to riot at Southland Mall

The release of the much anticipated Nike Air Jordan XI Concord lead to an early morning riot at Southland Mall and resulted in the arrest of a 21-year-old Detroit man who is accused of inciting a riot.

Taylor police said Southland Mall security called police for assistance at around 5:30 a.m. this morning when a large crowd of about 300 people were lined up outside. The mall, located in Taylor, was not scheduled to open until 8 a.m.

Police said about 100 people gained entry to the mall through two doors near JCPenney and Best Buy. The crowd forced their way into the mall by pulling the main doors open and created some minor interior damage to decorations and benches that were toppled over during a scuffle.
    The crowd was safely dispersed with only one arrest. There were no injuries and the property damage was isolated to the interior of the mall. The mall opened at 9 a.m

http://www.freep.com/article/2011122...text|FRONTPAGE

A riot over some freaking shoes?

You weren't alone. The same thing happened at Seattle's [[actually Tukwilla's) SouthCenter Mall. The lineup there was about 2,000.

Same shit happened in DC.

And Atlanta and Houston and Indianapolis.

And the same stuff happens on Black Friday as well, along with "other type of" people for "other" stuff.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-23-11 at 05:01 PM.

Good lord.. I've never owned a pair of Jordans.. folks never had the money as a kid.. as an adult I never related to the prices.. I guess it's easy to blame Michael Jordan, but the pathology that provokes this behavior is something way beyond him..

That said, the appeal for Air Jordan shoes is based on the same appeal women have for Louis Vuitton purses.

People want to feel good knowing they're able to purchases high quality stuff, stuff at that that not just anyone can afford and that's not in large supply [[which means even if EVERYONE could afford it, not everyone can HAVE it). And for basketball players, Air Jordan shoes do feel better on the feet when they're on the court versus the $10 shoes, again because of the better quality.

I admit I purchase Air Jordan shoes myself. However, I would never do what these people did for some. I'll wait until someone sells them at their online store or on eBay. I would also never purchase them if buying them spent I was spending more than I can afford.

Marketing has such a powerful influence with some people. There is little relationship between the manufacturing of those shoes and the final retail price. Most of the cost is related to distribution, and various marketing cost. The shoes are manufactured oversea at a cost so low that it would make you sick. As consumers we really eat that stuff up and buy goods that are way out of proportion to what it costs to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Marketing has such a powerful influence with some people. There is little relationship between the manufacturing of those shoes and the final retail price. Most of the cost is related to distribution, and various marketing cost. The shoes are manufactured oversea at a cost so low that it would make you sick. As consumers we really eat that stuff up and buy goods that are way out of proportion to what it costs to produce.
    That's the case with everything however, even right down to the food we purchase at the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That's the case with everything however, even right down to the food we purchase at the grocery store.
    I agree with that statement however does it not bother you that people are going nuts over a shoe that retails for $180 and is manufactured oversea at a cost of somewhere between $5 and $10 dollars. I don't think even food items mark up there cost to that extent.

Its just that so much of the price of the shoe is going towards royalties to Jordan, various marketing costs, and that doesn't include the normal distribution cost. And without any studies telling me I can run faster, jump higher and shoot straighter with those shoes it just seems silly that folks would buy the Jordans like they do.

I agree with that statement however does it not bother you that people are going nuts over a shoe that retails for $180 and is manufactured oversea at a cost of somewhere between $5 and $10 dollars. I don't think even food items mark up there cost to that extent.

Its just that so much of the price of the shoe is going towards royalties to Jordan, various marketing costs, and that doesn't include the normal distribution cost. And without any studies telling me I can run faster, jump higher and shoot straighter with those shoes it just seems silly that folks would buy the Jordans like they do.
    I understand why they did it [[see my 2nd post in this thread), doesn't mean I condone what they did to satisfy it.

The really sad part of this story is yet to come. Soon we will hear of a kid getting killed over a pair of these.

Anyone who waits in line for hours to pay $180 for plastic Chinese shoes is a F-ing moron! The worst part is knowing that a fair number of these idiots can't afford car insurance, child support or rent, but they'll be stepping out in the latest imported Nike's.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    And the same stuff happens on Black Friday as well, along with "other type of" people for "other" stuff.
    I don't know if it was meant to be funny, but I most certainly laughed, because it's very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    The really sad part of this story is yet to come. Soon we will hear of a kid getting killed over a pair of these.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...ml&h=QAQHn-_v5

its already happened....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    It's a bogus story...

http://studentactivism.net/2011/12/2...s-anyone-else/

SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    Wanna see a real riot?Stick around when the Guv makes Andy Dillon the emergency manager.....
    People are too busy waiting in line for Air Jordans to care...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    People are too busy waiting in line for Air Jordans to care...
    LOL !! You're probably right.

But if you buy them you will be able to be like Mike!!

I have no need to spend that kind of money on shoes. I'd rather spend $100 on a pair of american made New Balance and leave the $80 in the bank. Bunch of lemmings, these consumers.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; December-24-11 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    Wanna see a real riot?Stick around when the Guv makes Andy Dillon the emergency manager.....
    The only person "rioting" will be Charles Pugh.

Some people just can't control their impulses. What's new?

Occurrence Guest

If I was the CEO of Nike, I too would be releasing these kinds of shoes around the holiday for the specific purpose of inciting riots. I'm just amused by idiot simpletons and their desire for mass-produced goods.

Yes, that is what concerns me. Conspicuous consumption gone absolutely mad. In that case the price is indeed too high!

It can be argued that the determined 'reseller' of these crazy shoes came out good if they survived that stupid stampede.

Post 'em on Ebay, for even higher cost, let the bidders over-bid in their fury - sold shoes shipped via USPS... even the post office benefits...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post

People don't put this much effort into attending Parent Teacher Conferences or helping their kids with homework. What a shame!

Isn't that the truth DT! 'Priorities' in clear view here...
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    People don't put this much effort into attending Parent Teacher Conferences or helping their kids with homework. What a shame!