Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default I'd like to save THIS building

I've never hesitated to share my view that tearing down Tiger Stadium was proper. Except for the historical factor of many of our memories, the architecture of the place was haphazard; a multiseries of add-ons.

Next to the old park, though, is this pie-shaped building that has been vacant and boarded up for years. It is a beautiful example of late ninteenth century victorian architecture, and really should be preserved. Anybody know who owns it, or if there are any plans for it?

I think it's a beauty.
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-26-10 at 08:41 PM.

No, we have to tear that down too. Everything must go. Besides, those distressed bricks would look smart on a house in Bloomfield.

gravitymachine Guest

if i recall, that building is listing pretty badly

There is a good chance it will be "accidentally" knocked down when the remainder of the stadium goes.

Was this one of the many gift/souvenir/t-shirt shops that flourished around the old ballpark when it was open? There had been so many such places, it's hard for me to recall this particular one. If anyone has a pre-1999 photo, please post!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    No, we have to tear that down too. Everything must go. Besides, those distressed bricks would look smart on a house in Bloomfield.
    No, I need them for my next gardening project.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    if i recall, that building is listing pretty badly
    Yeah, it is, and it's been that way for years. It would need some major structural help to straighten it out, I'd say.

It WAS a souvenir shop pre-1999.

Found this small pic on Google, dated 1995: