Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lincoln Library Branch Closing Protest - 11 Sit-in Demonstrators Arrested

Thurs.,12/22, 5:30 PM

A few weeks ago the GA passed a proposal to support those fighting the library closings here in Detroit. After moving the date several times, the Library Commission is going to close Lincoln Branch Library tomorrow. The library is closing tomorrow at 6, and won't reopen to the public. Ever. Unless we can stop them. BAMN has been doing a lot of organizing with the support of the neighborhood groups, and the plan is to have a demonstration outside the library, in addition to a sit-in.

The library is located at 1221 E. Seven Mile. Be there by 5:30 pm if you can. Please spread the word.

What would you be willing to do away with in order to keep this library open? Its not like the City has oodles of money to spare. I don't see how protesting budget issues will do any good. Are you prepared to fork over about $1 million out of your pocket to keep it open?

Eleven BAMN Protesters Under Felony Arrest at Detroit’s Lincoln Library

Live protest coverage of closure of Lincoln branch of Detroit Public Library on Dec 22, 2011. BAMN [[By Any Means Necessary) organized the sit-in protest. Neighborhood organizations and Occupy Detroit provided support outside the library. Eleven people were charged with felony arrest. Two were placed in a squad car at first, the remainder were lead out into a wagon.

This is because the Detroit city government who is running its public libraries are running out of cash. So they have to close those libraries to save what's left of the money. You all might as well the suburban public libraries.

3rd world city- I love Detroit but maybe it's time for me to go... I applaud BAMN and Occupy for standing up for freedom of information. If I wasn't out of town I'd be there.

Arrested for attempting to maintain access to books. What's this world coming to?

It's somehow difficult not to find Fahrenheit 451 in this story.

Sorry but I have to agree with you J. And the bottom is no where in sight. Between the incinerator, gutting mass transit, traffic lights that don't work, thousands of streetlights already out, zero available funds, optional policing, and negative regional cooperation, it's been a rough autumn, nevermind a rough decade. This area sucks.

Anyone try to access the Detroit Library website? It's down...