Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default "What Do You Want for Christmas, Detroit?"

If you could have anything in the world...

What would you want for Christmas?

[[I want to have less negativity and more creativity in my life.)

I want people to stop dumping shit in my alley. There's a really ugly wooden chest of drawers out there now that wasn't there this morning, anybody want one of those for Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    I want people to stop dumping shit in my alley. There's a really ugly wooden chest of drawers out there now that wasn't there this morning, anybody want one of those for Christmas?
    I hear you. I can recall the city was much cleaner when it had bulk pick up every week. It also wasn't bad when it had bulk pick up every month. But 3 times per year? Call and you will be told you can always bring your bulk to a place like the Southfield yard, but what if you have no vehicle? What if all you are trying to do is get rid of something someone left near your home that is creating an eyesore?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    What if all you are trying to do is get rid of something someone left near your home that is creating an eyesore?
    Step 1: Acquire a sledgehammer
    Step 2: Use sledgehammer to reduce "bulk" item into many smaller items
    Step 3: Over the course of multiple weeks, leave smaller items out for pickup, ideally in garbage bags or trash cans

I've gotten rid of shelving units, drywall, bricks.. all kinds of stuff they wouldn't normally pick up using this method.

I want a slew of new buildings - occupied buildings!

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Step 1: Acquire a sledgehammer
    Step 2: Use sledgehammer to reduce "bulk" item into many smaller items
    Step 3: Over the course of multiple weeks, leave smaller items out for pickup, ideally in garbage bags or trash cans

I've gotten rid of shelving units, drywall, bricks.. all kinds of stuff they wouldn't normally pick up using this method.
    Me too, but its a real pain. A sawsall works good for this as well.

More peace, fewer pieces out there for Detroit.

That's a very good video but I'd love to see what hit the cutting room floor.

Lrt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That's a very good video but I'd love to see what hit the cutting room floor.
    Lol, me too. I sort of expected more pessimistically viewed/politically aimed wishes. You'd think with all the negativity every where...

A Renascence for neighborhoods like my old stomping grounds of 7 Mile/ Gratiot and Harper/ Caduiex.

For Detroit to be a functional major city, oh wait that's not happening anytime soon.

bartock Guest

I want what Steve Martin wants:

"If I had one wish that I could wish this holiday season, it would be that all the children to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace. If I had two wishes I could make this holiday season, the first would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing in the spirit of harmony and peace. And the second would be for 30 million dollars a month to be given to me, tax-free in a Swiss bank account. You know, if I had three wishes I could make this holiday season, the first, of course, would be for all the children of the world to get together and sing, the second would be for the 30 million dollars every month to me, and the third would be for encompassing power over every living being in the entire universe. And if I had four wishes that I could make this holiday season, the first would be the crap about the kids definitely, the second would be for the 30 million, the third would be for all the power, and the fourth would be to set aside one month each year to have an extended 31-day orgasm, to be brought out slowly by Rosanna Arquette and that model Paulina-somebody, I can't think of her name. Of course my lovely wife can come too and she's behind me one hundred percent here, I guarantee it. Wait a minute, maybe the sex thing should be the first wish, so if I made that the first wish, because it could all go boom tomorrow, then what do you got, y'know? No, no, the kids, the kids singing would be great, that would be nice. But wait a minute, who am I kidding? They're not going to be able to get all those kids together. I mean, the logistics of the thing is impossible, more trouble than it's worth! So -- we reorganize! Here we go. First, the sex thing. We go with that. Second, the money. No, we got with the power second, then the money. And then the kids. Oh wait, oh jeez, I forgot about revenge against my enemies! Okay, I need revenge against all my enemies, they should die like pigs in hell! That would be my fourth wish. And, of course, my fifth wish would be for all the children of the world to join hands and sing together in the spirit of harmony and peace."

What do Detroiters want for Christmas?

1. End violent crime

2. End city corruption, get rid the unchangable city leaders and replace them with real citizens.

3. Every last abandon buildings torn down

4. Grant amnesty for deliquent Detroit residents who are having a difficult time pay their city taxes.

5. A better Detroit Public Schools System

6. End forclosures for Detroit residents

7. Create affordable housing for low-income families

8. More homeless shelters and provide medical, mental help for them. Give the jobs so that can come back to society.

9. Have corporations like Quicken Loans and Compuware to give presents and food to Detroit residents.

10. Have a better Detroit Police Department.

11. Create a better D-DOT bus system and expand their routes to the suburbs that SMART bus can't go 24hrs a day

12. Have the SMART bus system re-establish Detroit to suburbs-suburbs to Detroit routes on its main roads 24 hrs a day.

13 Establish a mass transit system that could reach places like Ann Arbor, Flint, Lansing, Grand Rapids, Jackson, Saginaw, Port Huron, Toledo, and Chicago.

14. Lure investors to Downtown Detroit and give tax free incentives for 20 years.

15. have white middle class families and other ethnic families establish their communities on black and blight areas in Detroit ghettohoods. They would restore its urban infratructure and create local jobs.

16. Detroit needs a white mayor or a hispanic mayor and we need him or her fast.

That is what I want for Christmas!

A one-way plane ticket to Berlin