Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Gilbert Determined To Get Rail Done..

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    go go dan gilbert!

Hmmmm who should I believe on this. Business leaders who have brought employment and development to the city or politicians have done little to improve the city during their term. See like this is a very difficult decision apparently. I think the decision is clear cut. You've come this far in planning and receiving plenty of financial assistance from local companies. Build it now,judge whethe it was a success or failure 10 years from now.

hope he's right, in any case, we'll see by this time next year...
    on another note, are there any black stakeholders in the M1 group? If not, expect this to be the next bone of contention from certain folks in the city who don't want the rail..
    Last edited by Hypestyles; December-21-11 at 03:18 PM.

Um ... curbside?

Name:  notThisShitAgain.gif
Views: 648
Size:  18.7 KB

I don't know. It still doesn't address who funds operations and a line that stops at New Center seems little more than a People Mover extension. It would get the line started but only be useful if it leads to an extension within a decent time period.

..not sure why Gilbert insists that curbside won't interfere with regular traffic..

mock ups of the new passenger cars for Gilberts side running parking tram have been released:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ..not sure why Gilbert insists that curbside won't interfere with regular traffic..
    I believe it's called being full of shit...

The reason for the rail to go down to 8 mile was for a maintenance hub on/near the state fairgrounds. If the rail only goes to New Center, then a maintenance center would have to be built there temporarily.

Determination is great, but,

1) It doesn't make curbside less stupid.
    2) It doesn't make LRT compatible with having BRT on Woodward.
    3) It doesn't pay the operating costs.

If Gilbert really wants this to happen, he needs to get together with his M-1 friends and do some serious lobbying of the relevant players. They either have to get their dialing hands dirty, or watch as nothing happens. At this point, there isn't any other likely approach.
    Last edited by mwilbert; December-21-11 at 08:45 PM. Reason: parallelism

I didn't hear anything other then "We're gonna sit down and see what we can do." Even if this thing is entirely privately funded, who's paying the operating costs? The city that's about to go into bankruptcy or the one about to be appointed an emergency manager? This is dead. Hope everyone enjoys their bus rides.