Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Breaking News Alert

I'm tired of the boasting of the local news. We are the leader in breaking news.
    What do you hate about the local news ? We are the local news.
    Last edited by Bigb23; June-08-09 at 12:08 PM.

I quit watching the news about six months ago, I get the headlines off of Yahoo and whatever else I pick up. The cable news channels are like wrestling, theatrics and little content. Local news is redundant and repetitive.

Several things...I detest that every broadcast has a "breaking news alert". To me, most of what they are reporting is "regular news". Breaking news would be a catastrophe, like what happened on 9/11. A traffic accident does not rise to that level, in my estimation.

Another thing is the constant "hypeing" of an upcoming story. They spend more time telling us what is coming up than what is really happening!.

Next...the constant statement..."for more information on this story go to our website, www......." I want the story NOW...on the TV...on the NEWS...that's why I'm watching. I understand the revenue generated from the website...but I'm sick of having to go to two places to get the full story.

Last...for now, anyway...those idiotic logos on the screen. I KNOW what channel I'm watching, you don't have to constantly show me. If I'm not sure, I can hit the INFO button on my TV and find out.

Grrrrrrr....

Great thread, Bigb....thanks for letting me vent.

I hate "weather teasers" where Jerry Hodak or whoever will you give you half the forecast and then say "more in 10 minutes". Just get on with it.

Why did most of the news reports refer to "little Neveah Buchannan"? She was five, we know she was little. Pointless.

News does suck, but don't forget the fact that they are businesses. The objective is not to inform you, it is to make a profit.

4real Guest

Or in the case of GE owned NBC, to influence you to vote or think a certain way by being a mouth piece of an administration

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    News does suck, but don't forget the fact that they are businesses. The objective is not to inform you, it is to make a profit.
    there was a time when news wasn't required to make a profit. now it is merely corporatist hucksterism

ccbatson Guest

The local news is better than the mainstream left biased national news variety by far.

It is the same garbage. Most of what they present is either advertisements for products/events or for television shows. Ive seen 11PM newscasts where they spent over 50% of the time talking about some stupid reality show.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Several things...I detest that every broadcast has a "breaking news alert". To me, most of what they are reporting is "regular news". Breaking news would be a catastrophe, like what happened on 9/11. A traffic accident does not rise to that level, in my estimation.

Another thing is the constant "hypeing" of an upcoming story. They spend more time telling us what is coming up than what is really happening!.

Next...the constant statement..."for more information on this story go to our website, www......." I want the story NOW...on the TV...on the NEWS...that's why I'm watching. I understand the revenue generated from the website...but I'm sick of having to go to two places to get the full story.

Last...for now, anyway...those idiotic logos on the screen. I KNOW what channel I'm watching, you don't have to constantly show me. If I'm not sure, I can hit the INFO button on my TV and find out.

Grrrrrrr....

Great thread, Bigb....thanks for letting me vent.

I agree with everything you said, Blue, and I'll add a couple more things.

When you go to their website, most of the time all you get is a slightly longer version of the video they just showed you. I went to the website because I wanted more details. I can read, give me a few fact-filled paragraphs.

And we do not need tri-county, on-site reports of every snow flake or rain drop that falls. This is Michigan! It snows here! Every winter! Enough!

'k I'm done ranting.

Fox News: When news breaks, we fix it.

Stosh Guest

It's a constant annoyance, those breaking news flashes. Also the FOX2 auto crisis crapfest music. Here's a thought. Report the news. No fluff stories, no BS. Just news. If we want the latest on American Idol or some other show, we'd watch it.

Sports is another thing. I swear, a whole news segment on Channel 4 wasted on the Wings game, too late to watch the other station's news. [[not that they were any better).

People in this city are reduced mostly to watching TV news [[if there's no internet) and this is the best that they can throw together for an hour program? There's a market for an over the air newscast that is not full of it.

Several have touched on one of my main reasons for stopping watching the news and pretty much TV in general, and that is the commercials. Too many and the same dam ones over and over. It's like an hour long brainwashing session with the local news. I was watching some Paul Potts "Britain's got talent" segments on you tube. Watching their season finale, in between the final performance and the announcement of that season's winner, no commercial. It was very strange, the money grubbing networks here will milk that for all it is worth and expose the viewer to as many product appeals as possible. Think about it, it's ridiculous, watching all those commercials. One day I took the time to, and counted 15 different commercials in a row. One was the cable company advertising their cable. The stupid MF'ers I'm watching their cable, why sell it to me? I already have it. And DTE advertising, what other utility would I be using that they need to lure me back? There isn't another one around here. I heard once that utility companies have to advertise to justify rate increases. Oh great, do I not only have to sit through their boring assed commercial, they interrupt my entertainment time, all for the purpose of charging me more money at the end of the month. Then commercials about other shows, and we now have shows [[Pitchmen) about commercials. It's just totally out of hand, I want no part of it anymore.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; June-08-09 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I hate "weather teasers" where Jerry Hodak or whoever will you give you half the forecast and then say "more in 10 minutes". Just get on with it.
    Just just weather teasers, but ANY teasers. How I remember the days of being conned into sitting through a whole half-hour newscast filled with repeated teasers about something that never got played until the last minute of the show.

It's why I was so happy when I finally got Internet. I can just Google my way right to the point in three seconds. I haven't wasted a minute watching televised news since.

Lorax Guest

FOX NOISE: WHEN NEWS BREAKS HERE, IT STAYS BROKEN.

I'm in Cincinnati ........ a local station had the most ridiculous example of "Breaking News" on the morning show the other day.

"Breaking News: Forecaster Derek Beasley calls for our first 90 degree day of the season today."

90 degrees in the Ohio Valley in June. SHOCKING!!!

[[it only hit 89, FWIW)

ccbatson Guest

Oops...well, it was a forecast and it was only off by a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    The local news is better than the mainstream left biased national news variety by far.
    Yes, it's always more newsworthy to hear how many live and dead Chihuahau's you can cram into a house, rather than learn about the latest goings on in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and North Korea....

lilpup Guest

Watch The National on the CBC if you want a good [[though not local) news show.

Often I feel as if I've had my sanity restored after watching it.

I hate it when a newscaster making 5X what the average Michigander makes can't pronounce the names of the damned streets in the city she is reporting on. LaFAYette, Grat-IOT, Cadi-UX among others.

ccbatson Guest

Actually, if what you are learning about these international issues is biased leftist and manipulative propaganda...the Chihuahau story is better.

Wow! A Time Magazine poll shows Americans trust Jon Stewart over any other news anchor. I thought I was odd on trusting the show as a referee on the issues. Shows how low the respect for our news providers has become.

http://www.newsy.com/videos/the_next...alter_cronkite
    http://www.timepolls.com/hppolls/arc...sults_417.html

ccbatson Guest

A very poorly performed and reported poll. However, it is revealing of the potential out there to reach a lot of people with an accurate message.

What seem s to be lost in all this is that the news stations are out to make a profit, not to inform. They only show crap that will sucker people into watching their stations.

Oh, and one thing I can't stand is hearing "you heard it here first". Nothing irks me more than shameless self-promotions.

ccbatson Guest

OK...I wouldn't argue that point...however, the liberal stations are the big ratings losers, so why don't they shift to a more profitable format?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast