Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Israel now has it's own Rosa Parks!

You think segrigation was over? Wait until religion claims it's place. This is what happened on a bus between the cities of Ashdod and Jerusalem. The link to Detroit of course is Rosa Parks who got her own bus terminal now. Maybe the same honor will be given to Tanya Rosenblit.
    Jerusalem [[CNN) -- When Tanya Rosenblit boarded an inter-city bus bound for Jerusalem from her native Ashdod Friday morning, she did not anticipate the storm it would spark within Israel.The public bus she boarded normally carries ultra-Orthodox passengers and travels to an ultra-Orthodox neighborhood in Jerusalem.As a matter of custom women sit in the back portion of the bus, because the ultra-Orthodox avoid mingling of the sexes according to their beliefs. She was the first passenger that morning on the bus and took a seat behind the driver. As the bus took on more passengers along its route, an ultra-orthodox man demanded she should sit in the back of the bus as is the custom on that route."I heard him call me 'Shikse,'" Rosenblit wrote on her Facebook page, referencing a Yiddish term for a non-Jewish woman. "He demanded I sit in the back of the bus, because Jewish men couldn't sit behind women [[!!!). I refused.""This is my home town of Ashdod, I live in an Israeli democracy, people cannot tell me where to sit on a bus."
    Read the rest in the article in the first link.

By the way, I see a direct parallel between the current pick of the litter of the Republican candidates for the presidency. Both Orthodox Jews an Republican fanatical nutcases [[I have no other word for it want generally secular citizens to adopt their religious beliefs and doctrines.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; December-20-11 at 01:29 PM.

Go Tanya!

There were similar incidents on buses in ultra-orthodox communities in NYC a decade or so ago

Both Orthodox Jews an Republican fanatical nutcases [[I have no other word for it want generally secular citizens to adopt their religious beliefs and doctrines.
    which is why atheists want to put up displays next to mangers and menorahs. believe me, we'd rather just have nothing in the civic square regarding religion

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Go Tanya!

There were similar incidents on buses in ultra-orthodox communities in NYC a decade or so ago

which is why atheists want to put up displays next to mangers and menorahs. believe me, we'd rather just have nothing in the civic square regarding religion
    Yeah, it recently bubbled back to the surface: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1bLgBexWs

Ironically, this great leap for tolerance took place on a bus bouncing over Palestinian corpses.

We have a large community of hasidim in Montreal, and the sad thing is that they are separated from the community at large and building their own little North Korea.

Folks become intolerant when the hasidim dont even acknowledge outsiders presence never mind nod or smile.

Religion at that cultish level is nothing if not freaky. And yet I have a sympathy for the jewish people who had to endure persecution in eastern europe for so long , that their defense mechanism was this very isolationist aloof vision of life. Where do you build bridges without prying open the proud edifice that religious folks have built over generations?

I think a lot of religions close themselves off when they arrive in a place that is foreign and different. Seems as if various Muslims communities have done that in London and many ethnic groups did that in the US at the turn of the century. I guess some people just want to be with their own kind.