Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Holiday Ham - Dearborn Sausage, Honeybaked & Smaller Shops

We have 2 local firms, Dearborn Sausage and Honeybaked, and some smaller shops, making tasty hams. Which do you prefer and why.

Dearborn Sausage because there are so many other things available in the store...yummy...and carry-out, Drove by Honeybaked on Ford Rd. yesterday -already a line out the door!

I like a little place out on the west side of the state - Drier's. great slow cured, slow smoked ham

As a little kid, my dad discovered Honey Baked #1 on Fenkell shortly after it opened, I remember standing in line with pops back in those years, and continued with HB as they expanded.

However I found Mom Wilsons Sausage shop near Waldo, OH. Absolutely the best true hickory smoked hams, bacon, butt, etc. you will ever likely eat. It's like eating from Grandpa's farm in 1955.

You can find them on the web, they will overnight any of their smoked products.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I like a little place out on the west side of the state - Drier's. great slow cured, slow smoked ham
    and Mr. Drier was in Prancer for a minute

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_uke View Post
    Dearborn Sausage because there are so many other things available in the store...yummy...and carry-out, Drove by Honeybaked on Ford Rd. yesterday -already a line out the door!
    Dearborn Sausage [[formerly Dearborn Ham) bought out Nietche's meat markets, and continue their traditions. For those that remember the old Alexander & Hornung markets, this is the successor to those meat shops. Real old world style sausages and meats, as well as the ham. I visit the store in Roseville [[12 1/2 Mile & Gratiot) frequently, and will never buy packaged lunchmeats again.

I will try that! sounds yummy

Mike's on Michigan Avenue, never had anything there that wasn't teriffic. Haven't been there for a year or so, trying to make better food choices.

Is Dave's Sausage Factory still around? They used to be on Hayes south of 7, but I think they moved to Dearborn. They had kielbasa that rivaled my grandmother's homemade.

I always liked a Kowalski "Grandma K" ham. Hiller's may still sell them along with Winter's.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    We have 2 local firms, Dearborn Sausage and Honeybaked, and some smaller shops, making tasty hams. Which do you prefer and why.
    I prefer any company that keeps the jobs in the region.