Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bagels in Corktown

Corktown seems to be THE place to open a business these days. Wish these guys the best.

When brothers Ben and Dan Newman started the Detroit Institute of Bagels out of their kitchen, they had little experience as bakers and even less as entrepreneurs.
    But now, the Detroit Institute of Bagels is moving out of its Corktown flat and into a 1,700 square-foot space at 526 Michigan Ave., next door to PJ’s Lager House.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rktown-updated

I like the fact that Crain's wants to get the jump on coverage, but isn't it a little premature to report on them moving into a space that isn't open yet? And using the business' rendering too? Also, crowd-sourcing and fund-raising aren't the same things... Small complaints...

That address is totally wrong. Bagels, however, are delicious.

when are they planned to open?

The link on the first post says "sometime in 2012". The quotes are theirs.

There is a sign on that block with a rendering of a large mixed-use building supposedly planned for that block... I think it was called Corktown Gateway or something. Anyone know anything about this?

I am glad that a bagel shop[[ independently owned) is going to open in the city. I wish more bage shops would open around Broadway/Grand River area or on Library street. Maybe on Merchant's Row.Detroit need more bagels, pastry, and bake shops. That will make a more interesting and diverse downtown than the usual convenience store, CVS, and cheap cell phone shops

Bagels are lifesavers.

The only thing I'm addicted to is bagels. Oy!

Props to DIB...right across the street from me? This is gonna be awesome. Detroit gets just a little bit more walkable, little by little. Also, I always swore that if I ever opened up a bagel shop it would be called "Biggie Bagel's Bagel Bar".

No one seems to think that's funny but me. Whatever. Haters gonna hate.