Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Anthony Adams may be appointed to the School Board.

June 8, 2009

Detroit school board hopefuls no strangers to controversy

Audit accusation, lawsuit, takeover could be issues

BY CHASTITY PRATT DAWSEY
    FREE PRESS EDUCATION WRITER
    All three candidates seeking appointment tonight to the Detroit Board of Education have been involved with lawsuits or controversy in the troubled school district.
    The candidates are Sandra Campbell, an accounting vendor implicated in negative high school audit findings; Sharon Kelso, who sued the Detroit Public Schools district in a case that ended random weapons sweeps, and Anthony Adams, the former deputy mayor under Kwame Kilpatrick who was general counsel for the school district during the state takeover, which lasted from 1999 to 2005.
    The board called a special meeting tonight to vote to fill the seat representing District 5 that was left vacant when Joyce Hayes-Giles resigned last month.
    Board member Margaret Betts, who lives in District 5, said Campbell and Adams have expertise that can help the board. "They're still using her, so they must find some value in her work," Betts said of Campbell, who is still on the district's vendor list. "Kilpatrick had some good people. They shouldn't all be painted with that same brush," she said of Adams.
    Board member Annie Carter said she would support Kelso. She said Kelso stood up for children.
    Campbell has been an accounting vendor at several schools, including the former Redford High, where an audit showed almost $200,000 in missing and misappropriated funds in 2004. Auditors reported that Campbell's company, Pacemaker Accounting PC, was overpaid $8,250. Pacemaker also was the bookkeeper at Mackenzie High in 2006, where an audit showed improvements, but noted documentation was missing.
    Campbell said DPS failed to notify her and school staff of new procedures. She denied that she overcharged or that her work led to the audit problems. "I can only tell the principals what to do; I can't control them," she said.
    "The board needs someone with my skill set," Campbell said. "There are different questions an accountant can pull out. I know the procedures."
    Kelso was one of several parents who sued DPS for violating students' rights during a random weapons sweep at Mumford High. The district settled in 2006, agreeing to stop the practice. "I haven't had anything to gain personally," she said of her involvement with DPS. "For the past 25 years, I've been fighting for the rights -- academic rights, constitutional rights -- for students to be treated fairly."
    Adams said he's proud of working in the state takeover of the school district and the Kilpatrick administration.
    "What better person to have at the board than a person who served the board in numerous capacities, who really understands the relationships, what problems existed and what problems can be solved?"
    The board is to meet at 6 p.m. at the district's Welcome Center, 3031 W. Grand Blvd. Contact CHASTITY PRATT DAWSEY: 313-223-4537 or cpratt@freepress.com

Why is Sandra Campbell being considered if she is under contract with DPS? Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest?

Oh great, Anthony Adams, one of Kwame's Butt Buddies. Don't trust his cheesy smile. He will somehow funnel $'s to KK to cover his 6k monthly nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Oh great, Anthony Adams, one of Kwame's Butt Buddies. Don't trust his cheesy smile. He will somehow funnel $'s to KK to cover his 6k monthly nut.

Dave Bing and Anthony Adams are tight. I think Adams is looking to use this as an opportunity to re-invent himself and run for mayor in four years. Bing is only going to do it for one full term. After that, who's out there?

I wish Anthony would just fade away. I hope he if he decides to run for mayor the people will have the good sense to reject him. I based my decision for rejection on his sticking beside little kk. He is a lawyer whose wife is a judge right?
    The school board should be dismantled ASAP. IMO

Kraig from the article it does appear to be a conflict of interest. What about job performance?

gravitymachine Guest

its a wonderful thing that such an "outsider" was elected mayor

Quote Originally Posted by RayStar View Post
    Kraig from the article it does appear to be a conflict of interest. What about job performance?

It would be hard to make an assessment on her job performance without more information. In comparison, look at the City of Detroit, its books are a constant mess and money is constantly missing. But I wouldn't blame that on KPMG or Randy K. Lane, two of the vendors that assist the City in putting out the CAFR. DPS, like the City, is very good at sullying up their own homes. Even after someone has came in and cleaned up their messes for them.

I wouldn't be overly concerned no matter who they select. I believe it will play out like this; After Mr. Bobb is finished in March either Granholm can extend his contract another year. [[ By law she can only give him one year contracts) or if the legislation has been passed the schools will be turned over to the mayor. The board will be a non-factor regardless. I believe Joyce Hayes-Giles saw this handwriting on the wall when she resigned recently. The board along with the interim superintendent is still meeting but they have no power[[as it should be) and no say about anything thats important concerning the district.

Thanks Kraig. Firstandten I too think the board will done away with before Mr. Bobb leaves or shortly there after. I do not want this responsibility put on the mayor. I agree with you on JH-G leaving. Carla Scott needs to follow suit.
    Last edited by Brittz; June-08-09 at 12:34 PM. Reason: omission

They voted in Adams, 6-4. Bing has his inside man.