Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Shields in Kales Update

Kales is looking for a new tenant after Shields franchisees run into money problems.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20111...y=mod|mostview

Yeah, we all pretty much ASSUMED that Shields would never open in the Kales building after nearly 5 years of inactivity.

But thank you OP and Detroit News for the update anyway!!!

The question is why did the Kales wait so long? Do you suppose they were being paid rent on the empty space all this time?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    The question is why did the Kales wait so long? Do you suppose they were being paid rent on the empty space all this time?
    They probably signed a lease on it [[prematurely). I want to say Como's did the same thing when they announced they were opening a store on Merchant's Row.

Note too Shields just shuttered their location on 12 Mile and Mound as well.

Shields just closed in Rochester HIlls too.

What is or was Shields? A department type store?

I've been BY the Kale's building but never IN it. If its the building I THINK it is...

I told you all that Shields has lots of red tape. If you want to start a business at ony area. Please represent your proposals to your investors. They would help you out based on space, location, enviroment, atmosphere and customer loyality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    What is or was Shields? A department type store?

I've been BY the Kale's building but never IN it. If its the building I THINK it is...
    A chain that features Detroit-style pizza [[like Buddy's).

A bit of history, their original locations was in the same neighborhood as the original Buddy's location, on Davison and Shields.

Hey okay!

I remember some sort of pizza joint in Cali that went by that name I think. Named after the actor Donnie Shields, BY Donnie Shields....

It was a MUCH BETTER rendition than CiCi's Pizza but the same concept.....

I'd bet the landlord 'let' it lay fallow for the entire duration of the original lease.

That would be the only way to prove duress in any form of lawsuit, if Shields tried to walk away.

I saw the old Inca Computer's retail location sit like that in West Dearborn, and figured that was the case. Let to fester and gather dust to prove a legal point.

At least this one didn't rot and get dangerous.

I'd guess that the story goes back to a choice not to grease a few Kwhyme-ite palms...and then the banks got tight after the real estate bust.

Bummer. I liked Shield's...probably visit their Southfield location more than any...back when I ate out often. [[outside downtown)
    Last edited by Gannon; December-20-11 at 01:17 PM.

Kales is a great property. Unfortunately, their management is ... well, I heard some stories ...

I haven't had any problems with the Kales mgmt. Sometimes they are slow with maintenance. The Shields was looking good downstairs with a lot of woodwork and painting going on. They even put in a flat screen. I talked to management about the empty space and supposedly theres going to be a Panera-type place going in. I'll believe it when I see it. Was really hoping for a bar I could literally crawl home from.