Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Metro Beach now to be called Lake St. Clair Metropark

Interesting, of course trying to give off the notion that there is a lot more there than just

I'm sure the name "Metro Beach" is going to live on indefinetely, just like how to many of us it is still Pine Knob [[not DTE Music Theater)

http://www.detnews.com/article/20111216/METRO/112160385/-1/auto01insider/Metro-Beach-now-Lake-St-Clair-Metropark

Occurrence Guest

Another good example is how they try calling Devil's Night "Angel's Night". They can name the park whatever they want but it's still Metro Park.

Next up - the Macomb County Board of Commissioners will want to rename Metropolitan Parkway to "Lake St. Clair Parkway".

They should call it E. Coli Shores.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    They should call it E. Coli Shores.
    No, then they would have to rename everything downriver of that... such as Belle Coli Isle.

The bad thing for Metro is the proximity to the Clinton River estuary.... that river still has some issues that need addressing. Wonder if there are any beaches downstream of where the Rouge empties into the Detroit River?

The beach looked less than spectactular in that photo in the story. I hope those folks went home and washed their feet!

Why don't they just do what they obviously want to do and call it Harrison Township Beach?

i still call dte pine knob and i will still say metro beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Why don't they just do what they obviously want to do and call it Harrison Township Beach?
    Pretty much.

This is just a move to distance themselves as far away from Detroit as possible anyway [["Metro" implies "Metro Detroit", which is a no-no and thus why we now have "SE Michigan.").

Does the new name keep the e-coli out?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Pretty much.

This is just a move to distance themselves as far away from Detroit as possible anyway [["Metro" implies "Metro Detroit", which is a no-no and thus why we now have "SE Michigan.").
    I don't really think that's the case as the entire park system is still called "Metro Parks". Probably more to do with the confusion between the name of the park system itself and the individual park. Public access to the waterfront in that area is limited, so I really don't mind what they call it as long as they keep the gates open. I've never swam there and try to avoid the launch in the summer time [[Very crowded). But it's a great place to hunt ducks and ice fish!

Pretty much.

If that's the case they made a mistake because they still left Metro in the name.

This is just a move to distance themselves as far away from Detroit as possible anyway
    OR it could be an effort to normalize the names of the parks, since every other park is named after something in the area they are located [[Kensington lake, lake Erie, Stony Creek...)

In my humble opinion....you just can't rename anything....it is what it is. The only one that I can think of that the new name stuck was going from Briggs Stadium to Tiger Stadium. Any others?
    I will still call it Metro, and Pine Knob will always be Pine Knob.

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    kinda like calling the Cass Corridor Midtown......no matter how to package it..the sh*t still smells....
    What WAS the Cass Corridor, is only 1/6th of Midtown.... why is that so hard to understand?

What's the deal with trying to rename everything that already has an established brand? That shit is annoying. Metro Beach sounded way better, IMO.

So, if this rapid-transit bus proposal gets legs [[wheels), I wonder will there be stops in the various metro parks, including Metro Beach. So many from urban communities never get to see these places. I wonder what the pushback to that would be.