Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default [Scrappers] Thieves Held at Gunpoint in Detroit Get Away

Speaking of scrapping! This is incredible - property owner catches both thieves [[daylight hours), attempts to hold them until the police come, which they don't. The thieves escape!

Thieves Held at Gunpoint in Detroit Get Away

Marvin Denha Pulled 2 Firearms on the Robbers

From article: "DETROIT [[WJBK) - Marvin Denha says scrap thieves have stripped his family business properties. What wasn't stolen was vandalized in the deli, laundry and collision shops that operated side-by side until six months ago on West Seven Mile at Hershey in Detrioit near the State Fairgrounds. All three businesses were for sale, but scrap thieves robbed them blind."

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ay-20111215-ms
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-16-11 at 07:37 AM.

What a duesy, a gun in each hand and the both gone.

bartock Guest

...and in the meantime, people are screaming and planning protests about choo-choo trains, ignorning or refusing to believe that the real first step in turning Detroit around lies on those streets, not Woodward between Jefferson and Grand Blvd.

Precisely! Well stated.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    ...and in the meantime, people are screaming and planning protests about choo-choo trains, ignorning or refusing to believe that the real first step in turning Detroit around lies on those streets, not Woodward between Jefferson and Grand Blvd.

Yep, and the same people that can't build this train are supposed to fix the crime, scrapping or otherwise. Building the train is actually easy. They both cost money, and apparently there ain't none of that to go around. Don't worry, crime will continue to dissipate with the exodus of the populace.

The old "Due to computers being down, they couldn't tell what time they arrived" excuse. Good one.

People are actually protesting events like this.
    They're leaving the city.

If this happens in almost any suburban city you'd hear sirens wailing shortly after you got done with 911.

The precinct that was supposed to respond to this call is the same one I was complaining about in a previous thread. It must be easier to shake down people who aren't doing shit wrong than it is to apprehend two people in the process of dismantling the neighborhood.

12th precinct [[West side of Woodward) is literally a few blocks down 7 mile. If NE couldn't respond then you'd think 12th would've, but apparently that's not how things work around here.

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    using deadly force to hold someone for a property crime is still illegal in Michigan. Unless the intruder is threatening your life, putting a gun to his head is not legal. This was not a home. It was a vacant building, apparently not secured. Using a gun here is not legal.. maybe in Texas, but not Michigan.
    You're right he should have just killed them both. Seriously though, if you can't depend on the police, and the criminals know it, these are the sorts of things that are going to happen. People are getting fed up being victims when they have done nothing wrong, be it having a home or a business.

9mile&seneca Guest

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    using deadly force to hold someone for a property crime is still illegal in Michigan. Unless the intruder is threatening your life, putting a gun to his head is not legal. This was not a home. It was a vacant building, apparently not secured. Using a gun here is not legal.. maybe in Texas, but not Michigan.
    Detroit should give free homes to men from Texas or better yet, up in the Michigan thumb...

As far as deadly force, let's say someone breaks into my house and I'm standing by the door with my Al Kaline bat from bat day and I swing for the fences when I see his head pop in. Can I get in any trouble for something like that?

Anyone know if the woman in this article faced any charges?
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110823-wpms

It was a vacant building, apparently not secured.
    I see this time and time again. It says they broke in using tools. What does a home or business or vacant property owner have to do to do "their part" in keeping people out of where they don't belong? Build moats? Bring in alligators? Rent-A-Tank? WTF!

using deadly force to hold someone for a property crime is still illegal in Michigan
    So is trespassing, stealing.... I don't prescribe to the "two wrongs make a right" theory; but.....

Sad, but I'm one of the people that had similar situations happen to me many times while living in Detroit from 2002 to 2007. Pretty much zero police response convinced me I needed to move. I've now been living in LA for 5 years and in that time have never even had a reason to call police. I live a very peaceful and stress free life now. Still reading these kinds of stories on a regular basis, I really do believe Bing is a 100% failure as far crime prevention is concerned. Not a religious person, but I do prey for all my friends still living in the city and wish a few of them would get the hell out of there.

Maybe the building owner should have keep two sets of handcuffs on him as well as his two firearms. Problem solved?

Breaking and entering an occupied house could be construed as a threat to your life and thus deadly force could be used in that case.
    Officer: Was the burgular threatening your life? It appears he had this flat screen TV in his hands when he was shot....
    Homeowner: Yes my life was threatened. He threatened to use the TV to injure/kill me.