Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Old Greektown restaurants that are now gone...

Speaking with a friend of mine that is in his 80s about his days of growing up in Greektown in the 1930s and 1940s. He said his father worked in a restaurant in Greektown called the White Room or White Palace. His father later owned the Antioch restaurant that was located in the 1940s next door to what is now the Old Sheleigh bar.

Curious if there are any photos of Greektown back that include looks at said restaurants.

I remember when the place that was there before Locos and Bouzouki would feature Belly Dancers.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I remember when the place that was there before Locos and Bouzouki would feature Belly Dancers.
    Was it one, large hall taking up the first floor? I used to work in that building and it seemed like the internal layout was weird.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Was it one, large hall taking up the first floor? I used to work in that building and it seemed like the internal layout was weird.
    They had separate entrances, but it would not surprise me if the belly dancers/band were shared.

Hellas is long gone. Once serve Greektown for 107 years. I have been there I love spinach pie and goat cheese.

Ravine Guest

There was a little joint-- it was like a standard, garishly-lit diner, and was stuck between a couple of larger establishments-- called, I think, the International, and it had a meal that yet stands as one of my most-favorite-ever restaurant dishes: a simple lamb & rice combo, the rice being yellow and the lamb being so tender as to come apart if you stared at it or raised your voice.

The Shiek, on Randolph and Lafayette, was a tad outside the Greektown Opa Zone, and was maybe the first Middle Eastern fine-dining establishment in town. At least the first one I was aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The Shiek, on Randolph and Lafayette, was a tad outside the Greektown Opa Zone, and was maybe the first Middle Eastern fine-dining establishment in town. At least the first one I was aware of.
    I forgot all about that place! That was over by Sam's Department Store. It was Big, Ugly and Yellow and placed where the parking structure on Monroe now stands. For those of you horrified by the possibility of having a Family Dollar downtown, an FD would look like a Nordstom's compared to Sam's!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I agree. I think most Detroiters of non-Middle Eastern background got their first taste of arabic cuisine at the Sheik. I loved the tall artificial palm trees and the narrow staircase to the second floor. Then came the Phoenicia on Woodward in Highland park [[before it moved to Birmingham) and the Kamel Cafe [[which was very Middle Eastern but definitely not fine dining) on Dix just inside Dearborn.

Yeah, the old Sam's Cut Rate at Monroe St and Randolph was what it was...cut rate seconds...all in all it was in a huge hulking building that I believe dated from the 1870's. There was another Sam's in the old Opera House on Campus Martius and Wooward, around the corner from the Ernst Kern store. I remember being in both of the stores probably in the early 1960's at a very tender age. I remember parts of the old Opera House was still visable in the store but everything was painted 'board of education' green. The Randolph street store lasted into late 1960's and I believe burned to the ground as it was of brick and wood construction.

Ravine Guest

I forgot all about that place! That was over by Sam's Department Store. It was Big, Ugly and Yellow and placed where the parking structure on Monroe now stands. For those of you horrified by the possibility of having a Family Dollar downtown, an FD would look like a Nordstom's compared to Sam's!
    Roq? What are we gonna do about you and that yellow paint business? Have you no shame?

The Blue Nile, now in Ferndale I believe.

I forgot all about that place! That was over by Sam's Department Store.
    It was Big, Ugly and Yellow and placed where the parking structure on Monroe now stands. For those of you horrified by the possibility of having a Family Dollar downtown, an FD would look like a Nordstom's compared to Sam's!
    I'm pretty sure that was on the south side of Lafayette, across from where the parking structure now stands. The former Sheik spot is just a surface lot, if I'm right about the location.

Not a restaurant, but the old, decrepit Wayne Country Morgue was at Brush and Lafayette and added it's own bit of character to the area.

The Old Parthenon was the second storefront from the corner of St. Antione next to Hella's before they moved down the street to the bigger digs they occupy today. Cyprus Taverna moved into the Parthenon's old space about 20 years ago and was my favorite Greek restaurant in the area until they closed up last year. Now, it's a liquor shop.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Not a restaurant, but the old, decrepit Wayne Country Morgue was at Brush and Lafayette and added it's own bit of character to the area.
    I always thought that the old Wayne County Morgue was Detroit's most perfect example of the concept of "form follows function."

Name:  morgue1958.jpg
Views: 5322
Size:  41.7 KB
    http://historicdetroit.org/galleries...ue-old-photos/

I never got standing in line in the '70s on a winter weekend night to get in to New Hellas. After a few half hour-plus wait in line outside in winter temps, I figured a week day was the way to go. In the '80s the same scene was happening outside the Post Bar downtown. After getting inside the Post Bar and taking in the scene, I figure it was time to find a decent dive bar.

Ah yes! Sams the early dollar and discount store of sorts. I recall it as a kid. It was a mess, junky but you could find odd deals and my parents used to go there regularly...
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Yeah, the old Sam's Cut Rate at Monroe St and Randolph was what it was...cut rate seconds...all in all it was in a huge hulking building that I believe dated from the 1870's. There was another Sam's in the old Opera House on Campus Martius and Wooward, around the corner from the Ernst Kern store. I remember being in both of the stores probably in the early 1960's at a very tender age....

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    There was a little joint-- it was like a standard, garishly-lit diner, and was stuck between a couple of larger establishments-- called, I think, the International, and it had a meal that yet stands as one of my most-favorite-ever restaurant dishes: a simple lamb & rice combo, the rice being yellow and the lamb being so tender as to come apart if you stared at it or raised your voice.

It was the International and it was one of my favorites too, probably due to the reasonable prices for authentic but simple food.

Ravine - I used to eat lunch at the International when i worked in Trapper's Alley. The BEST lamb and rice/lamb and lima beans - and also remember the bowls of yogurt topped with honey sitting on the shelf behind the lunch counter. An old fluorescent-lit place with hard booths and the formica on the counter worn through. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
    Ravine - I used to eat lunch at the International when i worked in Trapper's Alley. The BEST lamb and rice/lamb and lima beans - and also remember the bowls of yogurt topped with honey sitting on the shelf behind the lunch counter. An old fluorescent-lit place with hard booths and the formica on the counter worn through. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
    Is this the place on Brush that closed down maybe 10-12 years ago sort of across the street from the Old Shellelagh parking lot? I ate at whatever that was a few times and it was a dirty place with really good food.

Bartock - The International was on Monroe Street, maybe a couple of doors from Astoria Pastry.

I'm trying to picture the place you're referring to - and coming up blank. You sure this was Brush Street?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
    Bartock - The International was on Monroe Street, maybe a couple of doors from Astoria Pastry.

I'm trying to picture the place you're referring to - and coming up blank. You sure this was Brush Street?
    I was wrong. It was on Beaubien, in the building next to what is now Mosiac.

Yeah - across from Second Baptist Church - that was "Mommy and Daddy" Coney Island.

bartock Guest

Thanks - I wouldn't want to tour the kitchen, but the food was good and cheap!