Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default March for Light Rail Demonstration. Let's Plan one from From DIA steps to City Hall

Who's willing to spend half a day walking down Woodward with picket signs? What did Occupy Wall Street, Tahrir Square and the Tunisian fruit vendor teach us?

This is one of the major issues for Detroit in our time. It's make it or break it. Can you donate 3 hours of your time?

We could start at the Fairgrounds? 6 Mile? Grand Blvd? DIA?
    I'm ready to do it alone with a big sign in my hands any day next week. Say 10am.

But better to get group thoughts first and see what everyone thinks about strategy.

YES. but I only have Mondays avaiable at 10 am. Set for anytime you want and if not I'll be there in spirit!

I'm in. How about next Monday?

I like Monday too. Let's see who else responds.

Alot of demos for OD started around 5pm. I predict if you started at Rosa Park Transit center during rush hour and marched to CAY, it would quickly grow as a megaphone for general outrage against DDOT, SMART, Bing, Snyder, etc.. Monday's weather looks good since planning for tomorrow is really limited.

Monday +4 x

I def in. whatever day im there with camera in hand...

I might be in if the logistics work out...

I'm in for any day and time! I second what Russix suggested.

If everyone is so hell-bent on light rail, why don't you guys start a nonprofit to collect funds to get it going? It seems like everyone is gung-ho on having other people pay for it, just do it yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    If everyone is so hell-bent on light rail, why don't you guys start a nonprofit to collect funds to get it going? It seems like everyone is gung-ho on having other people pay for it, just do it yourselves.
    Funds to get it going aren't the issue. Annual operating costs are.

There's already a non-profit which collects funds from groups to do big projects that benefit the community, that's what the government is.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    Funds to get it going aren't the issue. Annual operating costs are.
    Then create an organization to run it. Everyone is waiting for someone else to do something. If people want to get it done - then go do it.

Marching will do nothing. Creating a non-profit, getting some muscle and capital behind it, will be a step in the right direction.

It seems like everyone is gung-ho on having other people pay for it, just do it yourselves.
    Who said that? I figured it would be payed for by a regional tax.

Then create an organization to run it.
    That's what the RTA is for.

The city needs $10 million a year to run the light rail system [[giving the history of similar estimates, I'd say the actual figure is closer to $20 million)

So form an organization to get that money together. Again, everyone seems to want someone else to pay for it. If you can get everyone in Detroit to cough up $28 a year, it could be fully funded. If everyone in Detroit is so gung-ho about light rail, that shouldn't be a problem, should it?

If you are going to have a march, please do it at from 4 to 5 PM. The reason? I assume you want broadcast news coverage. If that is a goal, you want to do it during daylight hours so as to be seen by the cameras. You also need a spokesperson to communicate your goals if you want your objective realized.

Communicate with channels 2, 4, 7 the Freep and News, Metrotimes, MLive, Huffpost before hand if you want them to be there. Tell them you have 300 protesters committed to march. 10 folks ain't worthwhile unless it is a slow news day.

HAVE A CLEAR GOAL: Authorize the RTA is a start.

Stating clearly that light rail would bring $X amt in revenue would be another clear point you want to communicate.

Finally, do not allow for Snyder, Bing or Obama bashing. Even if you hate those folk, you will need them to enact your recommendations.

Yes, I will gladly be there! I will be home next week on Christmas break from school so anytime next week works for me.

First thing we need to do is have a gathering of all those here who would be interested, and plan on the who, what, when and how of this protest, get community support so that it is more than just the ten of us on this thread, establish a liason with the media etc etc...

In others words if we are going to do this then lets do it and not just go off half cocked...

Who wants to use some of the technique or spirit of Occupy Wall Street? Do we want this to be democratic? have a couple charismatic leaders? Anti-politician or not mentioning them?

Are there any rules?

To answer some questions, MOSES, TRU, MEC, MLUI and others have been non-profits working on this issue a long time. Forming another non-profit doesn't seem smart. Costs have to come from taxpayers.

I'll stop there for now.

Then create an organization to run it. Everyone is waiting for someone else to do something. If people want to get it done - then go do it.

Marching will do nothing. Creating a non-profit, getting some muscle and capital behind it, will be a step in the right direction.
    Posting on a forum will do nothing. Stop planning to share your thoughts unless you own a publication to put them in

Quote Originally Posted by Zaiko View Post
    Forming another non-profit doesn't seem smart. Costs have to come from taxpayers.
    Says who? Fine, hook up with an existing non-profit and start stumping for donations. The city claims it doesn't have the money, so get people to pony up.

The dedication to the light rail project seems to be limited to having other people take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaiko View Post
    Who wants to use some of the technique or spirit of Occupy Wall Street? Do we want this to be democratic? have a couple charismatic leaders? Anti-politician or not mentioning them?

Are there any rules?

To answer some questions, MOSES, TRU, MEC, MLUI and others have been non-profits working on this issue a long time. Forming another non-profit doesn't seem smart. Costs have to come from taxpayers.

I'll stop there for now.

Its not a non-profit but moreso a grass roots protest along the ling of the OWS/D protests. historically speaking, protesting for one day is not going to change a thing, but when the powers that be see a group of people making a statement and showing that they will protest day after day day in and day out thats when people will take you seriously. To shout and scream for one day is little more than venting.

I'd be willing to have an informal meeting somewhere in the city to discuss the needs, wants and desires of putting together such a protest and get the ball rolling on said protest. But that is where it all starts. We see there is a passion for change but now lets see if there is the heart tomake it happen. Like I said in poker parlance Im all in...

Says who? Fine, hook up with an existing non-profit and start stumping for donations. The city claims it doesn't have the money, so get people to pony up.

The dedication to the light rail project seems to be limited to having other people take care of it.
    That's a wonderful argument that works for just about anything. If you don't have millions of dollars to chip into something to put your money where your mouth is, you're invalidated and have to shut up.

But no, it's the government's job to do this. The government is a non-profit that organizes the collection of money for big projects which benefit the public. That's what the government is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    That's a wonderful argument that works for just about anything. If you don't have millions of dollars to chip into something to put your money where your mouth is, you're invalidated and have to shut up.
    If the people of Detroit won't chip in $20 per citizen, per year for light rail, yeah I think the argument is pretty well invalidated.

But no, it's the government's job to do this. The government is a non-profit that organizes the collection of money for big projects which benefit the public.
    And it's attempt at providing light rail has failed. How long are you going to wait for them to do something? Nope! We'll hold a march and demand that someone else do something to get light rail off the ground.

Politicians won't listen until there is money involved. Get the money flowing, then something will happen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast