ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Finally? How about always?
    How about rarely.

You're stepping way up in class.

ccbatson Guest

Check my posts on that subject....in every instance, I have clearly pointed out that oil is/was a vital interest of ours and crucial to our decisions as to what actions to take and when.

Lorax Guest

Check my posts on that subject....in every instance, I have clearly pointed out that oil is/was a vital interest of ours and crucial to our decisions as to what actions to take and when.
    Gotta love the proverbial backpedal.

Is it difficult to do a drive-by in reverse?

I have to protect ccbatson on this one. The guy always admits his underlying belief that supporting US corporate interest will result in what is best for the country. Because he also believes that there were terrorist bases in Iraq, doesn't mean he disclaims the first claim.

Some argue that if the Middle East didn't have oil, we wouldn't be there and as a result, there would be no islamic terrorists. I believe a more realistic scenario would be that there would be plenty of terrorists, but since the victims aren't American, as usual, we wouldn't give a crap. You know, Somalia, Rwanda, and Afghanistan from the fall of the USSR until 9/11.

All atrocities for the UN to handle. I wish we handled less on our own and more through the UN. Especially if we made a veto power require the vote of two permanent UN nations rather than one. Then when other countries complain about an international situation and say America should do more, we can point out they have less GDP going to the UN and less manpower as a percent of population and legitimately tell them to go fuck off.

I wish the previous administration didn't tell the UN to go take a hike so we wouldn't be in the Federal financial straits we're in now.

The case examines the decision that led to President Bush's historic speech to the United Nations Security Council on September 12, 2002, challenging members to act decisively with the United States to end Iraq's weapons of mass destruction threat. The case brings into focus many of the central foreign policy issues and debates surrounding the march to war against Iraq, as well as far broader questions concerning U.S. foreign policy and international relations. The decision reflected the interplay of many different personal, political, and international pressures, including the president's own strong predispositions, ideological wars between Americanists and the old guard foreign policy elite, bureaucratic infighting, and the powerful domestic imperatives of Tony Blair—a trusted friend of the president and the United States' closest ally on the Iraq question. The A case will concentrate on the events of the six weeks leading up to the President's decisive meeting with Prime Minister Blair just prior to the UN address. Relevant historical and other backgound will be included. The B case will reveal the president's decision as it was manifest in the September 12 speech, and will lay out the consequences of that decision as they have played out through the end of the war on Iraq. A teaching note will provide a teaching plan as and suggested discussion questions and analysis of the decision. The case is rich in insights at the individual, unit and international levels of IR theory.

http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_ml...260_index.html

Oh, I hear ya.

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    I have to protect ccbatson on this one. The guy always admits his underlying belief that supporting US corporate interest will result in what is best for the country. Because he also believes that there were terrorist bases in Iraq, doesn't mean he disclaims the first claim.

Some argue that if the Middle East didn't have oil, we wouldn't be there and as a result, there would be no islamic terrorists. I believe a more realistic scenario would be that there would be plenty of terrorists, but since the victims aren't American, as usual, we wouldn't give a crap. You know, Somalia, Rwanda, and Afghanistan from the fall of the USSR until 9/11.

All atrocities for the UN to handle. I wish we handled less on our own and more through the UN. Especially if we made a veto power require the vote of two permanent UN nations rather than one. Then when other countries complain about an international situation and say America should do more, we can point out they have less GDP going to the UN and less manpower as a percent of population and legitimately tell them to go fuck off.
    All true, but as an aside, we would have little or no interest in the middle east without the oil. It would have about as much strategic interest to us as Tahiti does.

In any event, the UN situation you got right on all levels.

ccbatson Guest

Backpedaling to point out that 100 percent of the time and on numerous occasions I have expressed this position?

Lorax Guest

Backpedaling to point out that 100 percent of the time and on numerous occasions I have expressed this position?
    It must be so thrilling to have your own thread!

If this were a Progressive Insurance ad, you'd have your own aisle- the Batboy Aisle.

Not to worry, no one's interested in shopping in your aisle.

ccbatson Guest

And who started said thread? Not I.

Lorax Guest

True, but it's all about you! Thrilling!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post

Not to worry, no one's interested in shopping in your aisle.
    You seem pretty interested.

ccbatson Guest

Another admission of error from Lorax? There may be hope for him yet.

Lorax Guest

Another admission of error from Lorax? There may be hope for him yet.
    What admission? Hello? Anyone home? Guess not.

Yes, folks, the Batts' left the belfry.

Ignore him/her/it if you like. Respond to him/her/it if you like. Comment if you like. Whatever. I don't pay attention to him/her/it about 99.99% of the time. I get a kick out of how he/she/it get's all riled up and manic when he/she/it's name is mentioned. Boom, boom, boom - posting frenzy.

I hate to add to this thread, thereby stoking Cc’s ego, but here’s my two cents worth.

Gee, the thought that Cc is a self-absorbed, delusional, troll/arsonist appears to be a strongly held position by some DY posters. I’ll just bet if you keep your descriptive analysis up, one of two things will happen: either Cc will wilt under the pressure of carefully targeted criticism and re-evaluate his world view thereby depriving DY forum readers of his “wit and wisdom,” OR he will view the negative feedback as ego-stroking which will stimulate him to continue dropping his pearls of wisdom extolling free market solutions to social and economic problems of every stripe and color.

He has a strong belief that if everyone just engaged in a “me-first” self-directed form of engaging the world, all would be well because “markets are self-correcting.” So don’t let his distaste for all things liberal [[as he defines the term) get under your skin. It won’t do your blood pressure any good [[Lorax). Sure you may get mad at him as you would an unruly child who just believes that NIN is the best musical group ever, and who wants to convince everyone else of that truth. But he is no more than that…an unruly child with access to the internet.

So everyone take a chill pill. Don’t let his rantings get to you. Do what I do…when I read his pearls of wisdom, I become amused by how like the NIN fan I mentioned above he is, and his words are magically turned into “blah, blah, blah.” Oh sure, I occasionally respond to a post of his, but I do it with the kind of ironic insight that baffles readers of the right and left alike.

So ignore Cc or don’t. Either way, it won’t change what he posts. But carefully scrutinize mine. Why? Because I am not a devoted follower of false profits like Ayn Rand, rather, I am a devotee of the great and powerful Stephen Colbert.

Omaha, your posts are truly refreshing, keep them coming.

Bats has some good points, many way out of right field, but he is entertaining, to say the least. His opinions are a good counter balance to the non Detroit board and I, for one, would feel a void if he ever stopped posting here.

total thread jack alert

"palin/mcain ... the morning after"

Attachment 1853

Just had to share this.
    Last edited by gnome; November-12-10 at 02:16 PM.

Default continuation of thread jack...

http://www.blurb.com/books/407054

Thanks for sharing!

Back to the thread [[or not...)

ccbatson Guest

NIN? I am not sure I know which songs are theirs, let alone whether I am a fan. I know that I haven't purchased any of their stuff [[but that doesn't mean that I dislike them, they just haven't come up on my radar).

Anyway, intended or not, the attention given to me here is flattering, sometimes in a twisted way, and thanks anyway.

LodgeDodger Guest

My question for Bats is, how are your interpersonal relationships at work? Do you get along with others? How about in your personal life? Of course, you could tell me to f*** off, but that wouldn't be any fun.

I work with a guy with your similar views.
    Last edited by LodgeDodger; June-18-09 at 11:19 AM.

watch his posting habits. every other weekend, he seems to barely post at all, then the next it's all over the place

Anyway, intended or not, the attention given to me here is flattering, sometimes in a twisted way, and thanks anyway.
    While, I do respond to him on a few threads, for the most part, I've come to ignore most of his tripe and predictible responses to anything other than his own view.

Count it as a win, if you wish, Cc, but you've just become tedious.

ccbatson Guest

A few? how many of your 174?

Count it as a win, if you wish, Cc, but you've just become tedious.
    Damn jams, you made me open up another of his redundant replies. [[Same ol' same ol').

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast