Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Time to Recall Bing?

This light rail debacle is one more nail in the coffin of the Bing administration, if you ask me. The mayor has let us down with his insane handling of the Detroit works project; he has failed to put the city on better financial footing; and he collaborates with council only on being an affront to state intervention. It may be time to recall this man and begin anew our search for an effective leader. What do you think?

Why waste the energy? The Governor will do it for us. We'll have an EFM soon enough.

IMHO: Bingo was just there to let the Kilpatrick hangers-on feast on the crumbs before the crash.

Unfortunately in this case, if Bing were recalled, the situation would be even worse.
    In my opinion, the results of the last Detroit City Council Election provided Bing with recall insurance.

Right. Recall Bing and Pugh is temporary Mayor. Then ANOTHER election. What good is that? And Pugh would win [[sotto voice) because Detroit voters are so [[can't be repeated in polite forums ).

Bing being recalled would cost a lot, then we would have another election and for what, to vote in some buffoon way worse then him. I always thought Bing had good intentions but now he flip flops and says one thing and a week later he goes in an opposite direction. It seems to me he is positioning himself for what is about to happen in Detroit regardless of what he truly feels. It just looks to me lately like he is some kind of a puppet.

I think as voters we tend to hit the recall button a little too quick. Now that doesn't say that I think he's done a good job because he hasn't and I would be unlikely to vote for him again. But we have a real problem and that is who's better. And as much as we might not want him re-elected comparing him with potential challengers, we might have to hold our noses and pull the lever by his name.

In situations like this [[such as the presidential election and choosing between AT&T or Comcast), you're pretty much just choosing between shit and piss.

So what if we get rid of Bing, what other decent candidate is there around here that will do any better than he's doing?

ndavies hit the nail on the head? Why even bother? Bing is gone in a month or two, anyway.

1. Bing couldn't do anything about the federal government cutting the funding to the light rail
    2. its not like Kwame left him the city in the best of conditions
    3. the city has been declining for a LONG time. so its pretty unfair to assume he could just walk in and turn the city around in 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    IMHO: Bingo was just there to let the Kilpatrick hangers-on feast on the crumbs before the crash.
    I had MUCH higher hopes, but I think your analogy is unfortunately spot-on...

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    1. Bing couldn't do anything about the federal government cutting the funding to the light rail
    He didn't fight for it. He just said, "Yeah, it's sound hard to do, so let's not do it. I agree with killing it."

Pugh for Mayor! NOOOOO! --------
    Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Right. Recall Bing and Pugh is temporary Mayor. Then ANOTHER election. What good is that? And Pugh would win [[sotto voice) because Detroit voters are so [[can't be repeated in polite forums ).

Yeah, I think an EFM appointment is a done deal...
    Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Why waste the energy? The Governor will do it for us. We'll have an EFM soon enough.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-15-11 at 09:01 AM.

Yep, too many of the KK 'friends and family' feeders remained.... Bing the 'Trojan Horse'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    This light rail debacle is one more nail in the coffin of the Bing administration, if you ask me. The mayor has let us down with his insane handling of the Detroit works project; he has failed to put the city on better financial footing; and he collaborates with council only on being an affront to state intervention. It may be time to recall this man and begin anew our search for an effective leader. What do you think?
    That sounds like the standard Detroit approach: dump the one guy before we have even begun to figure out who might be a suitable replacement. Great plan.

You call can't recall Mayor Dave Bing for the city's mess. The city's mess and corruption on city government since 1900 was dumped on him. Just like it was dumped on Coleman A Young, Dennis Archer, Kwame Kilpatrick and Kenneth Cockerel. Recall the those greedy city employees and its unions who took Detroiters hard earned tax money; Not to mention regional and government dollars, too. Bing is the mayor to the end, the ball is in his court just like he played point guard for the Detroit Pistons. Let's hope the EFM [[ who is the referee eject him from the game.)

LOL! Great metaphor!
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    ...Bing is the mayor to the end, the ball is in his court just like he played point guard for the Detroit Pistons. Let's hope the EFM [[who is the referee eject him from the game.)

Yeah, it's all those rich, fatcat bus drivers and janitors!

Occurrence Guest

I like when people shout out for a recall but don't recommend who would take over the position and do a better job.

Alright, lets recall Bing. Then what? Who takes his place? Who is more qualified for the job?

I'm no Bing fan, but it's not ALL his fault. The entire city government as a whole doesn't function. One single man can't fix everything. Nothing is going to change or get done unless everyone is on the same page. The clowns on city council are just as much to blame. Maybe the citizens of this city should stop voting for idiots.

No on a recall, but Bing has been a failure so far. I would love to see how much money has been spent on consultants for which no follow thru occurs. Mackenzie Group studying the city structure, Compuware reviewing departments, years of light rail study, Detroit Works. You have to follow through on these things to be a leader. I would guess the amount of money wasted is in the $50-100 million range. All in vain.

Great feedback everyone.

One question that came to mind after I started this thread: if we are having such a hard time finding suitable mayoral candidates, why did we just make it harder for someone to become mayor [[the new charter, I think, says that you have to live in the city for a year before you can be mayor)?

Quote Originally Posted by lo_to_d View Post
    No on a recall, but Bing has been a failure so far. I would love to see how much money has been spent on consultants for which no follow thru occurs. Mackenzie Group studying the city structure, Compuware reviewing departments, years of light rail study, Detroit Works. You have to follow through on these things to be a leader. I would guess the amount of money wasted is in the $50-100 million range. All in vain.

That's right mayor Bing is not a failure. He doesn't fear failure, but he's ready for it if Snyder, The Nerd appoints an EFM dictator. Detroit city government and its unions are the main failure. They are corrupt and they need to out of those positions. The EFM dictator get rid of them the better Detroit's pain is over. Just like King Kwame's Manoogian Parties.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Great feedback everyone.

One question that came to mind after I started this thread: if we are having such a hard time finding suitable mayoral candidates, why did we just make it harder for someone to become mayor [[the new charter, I think, says that you have to live in the city for a year before you can be mayor)?
    It will not matter the main power will be with the people through their council ,the mayor can become just a face if necessary .

I think Bing has been an utter failure as Mayor. He is the quintessential flip-flopper, and his new populist tone is more amusing than believable. This stance, as stated in his response to the private light rail backers [[I'm the Mayor of Detroiters...) belies the most basic struggle facing Detroit today: the people who are left in Detroit simply cannot afford the the most basic of services needed. In order to turn this ship around, you must attract new residents. This requires gentrification. No one will move to Detroit on the scale required without it.

This being said, I don't see anyone who could step in and fill this void, so no, Bing does not need to be recalled. That would be a waste, particularly in light of the reality of an EFM in the coming months. My prediction is that an EFM will come in, cut, cut, and cut, and the city will still be in shitty shape. It will eventually lead to either a) a total breakdown of the city that results in the final exodus of every asset the city has [[residents, businesses, etc.)[[think Escape from New York-like) or b) someone will finally come in, buy up a bunch of vacant land, and develop self-contained, gated neighborhoods with private security, grocery stores, gas stations, etc. Frankly, that is what is needed now and what I envisioned for the areas surrounding the light rail line. Something that is very nice, very secure, and very safe.
    Last edited by 7miledog; December-16-11 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Grammatical Correction

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast