Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default More Good News, Chrysler to Reopen Conner Avenue Assembly

http://www.freep.com/article/2011121...text|FRONTPAGE

First the Dime Building, then this. Chrysler is starting to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to "Imported from Detroit" and I'm loving it.

YAY! Thanks to the government bailout money, more automotive and automation for all future employees. Just wait until they get laid off by 2030. Them more doom and gloom will come to them faster the 11,000 layoffs in Flint's GM plants in 1988.

This is good news! Keep the jobs coming!

That is some good news, for now. As Danny eloquently puts it, let's remember that auto factory jobs can't be our "ticket to the future". We need to transition from brawn to brain.

p.s. secretly, I'd like Chrysler to move their World HQ out of Auburn Hills and down to Woodward near I-94. Bonus...it's a much shorter drive to the Chelsea Proving Grounds!

I think with things like Techtown and Bizdom U and Detroit Venture Partners, etc. we are developing a brain based economy. Unfortunately, that takes time to create. In the meantime, we need as many jobs as we can get, and reactivating a closed factory is still good news!

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    I think with things like Techtown and Bizdom U and Detroit Venture Partners, etc. we are developing a brain based economy. Unfortunately, that takes time to create. In the meantime, we need as many jobs as we can get, and reactivating a closed factory is still good news!
    I agree, and yes, it is good news. It's going to take a decade or so to "re-tool". I think the future of Detroit [[and Michigan) looks bright. But that's because I'm looking out 10-20 years. In that time, a lot of the legacy costs that we have will disappear as the people to whom we promised them die, and as our education levels move up and we continue to transition.

But, that's from the 10,000 foot view looking down, unfortunately. Next 5 years gonna be rough waters, and relief from these factories staying open certainly IS good news!
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; December-13-11 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post

This has always been a problem. We have so much invested in the Auto industry around here, its difficult to not go after more of a share of it. When state and local budgets are limited, its easy to focus too much on what we have that works, then it always ends up biting us in the @$$ during downturns.

On the plus side we have made remarkable strides getting hi-tech auto jobs here. Toyota does have a huge angineering facility in AA, and there are lots of other companies that have auto-tech based workers here. And its not just the tech side, with the expansion of CCS we also have the design part too.

It wont take a decade to retool. There ARE NO TOOLS. There is no automation to kill jobs either. This is the Viper plant and will be hand assembling 2013 models shortly.....

And the new Dodge Dart to Belvidere Assembly Plant.

Kenosha Engine Plant was just auctioned off rumor is that the new Chrylser bought the 3.5 engine line for Trenton Engine.

And the new Dodge Dart to Belvidere Assembly Plant.

Kenosha Engine Plant was just auctioned off rumor is that the new Chrylser bought the 3.5 engine line for Trenton Engine.
    the new dart is the caliber replacement and belvidere assembly is in illinois so that doesnt really help detroit much...

there is the new pentastar engine being built but i dont know that there was any line bought specifically for it. the engine is something that is new, since the bankruptcy. at least as far as i know....