Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where are the good churches in Detroit?

So.....if you believe you do not HAVE to watch FOX News or ONLY vote Republican to be Christ-Like; nor do you have the "fish" symbol on your car, where would you go to church in Detroit?

If peace, purpose, and making an impact on your community are the tenets, you believe, of christianity which Detroit-area church would you attend?

Quote Originally Posted by millertry View Post
    So.....if you believe you do not HAVE to watch FOX News or ONLY vote Republican to be Christ-Like; nor do you have the "fish" symbol on your car, where would you go to church in Detroit?

If peace, purpose, and making an impact on your community are the tenets, you believe, of christianity which Detroit-area church would you attend?
    http://1stuu.org/

I'll second that emotion, and up the ante with two more.

Spirit of Hope on the SW corner of the MLK/Trumbull/Grand River interchange.

Messiah on W. Grand Boulevard just north of Vernor on the SW side.

Both are very active in their communities, and doing good. You can find a home there without being judged.

If you need a little fire and brimstone to spice up your Sundays, go see Tim Dilena at Revival Tabernacle on Woodward just south of Six Mile in Highland Park...although his tune might've softened a bit after his mentor David Wilkerson passed last year. His father was the cop who became the good Reverend's accountant in the Cross and the Switchblade story...curious pedigree.

Good luck, among those four I don't think you can go wrong. Specifically, I mean, because generally we can all always go wrong.

Cheers,
    John

Ste. Anne de Detroit, the oldest parish in the city, established 1701.

http://www.ste-anne.org/history.htm

Check any commercial/business street corner. You're bound to find at least one in some old storefront.

St. James in Ferndale used to be one, until Father Wurm retired.

Default storefronts?

also possibly looking for a few kindred souls who might want to start one

Where are the good churches in Detroit?.....So.....if you believe you do not HAVE to watch FOX News or ONLY vote Republican to be Christ-Like; nor do you have the "fish" symbol on your car, where would you go to church in Detroit?

.................also possibly looking for a few kindred souls who might want to start one
    Based on all your negative characterizations of other congregations, it sounds like you're looking for "kindred souls" who share your belief in inclusivism, perhaps bordering on exclusivism. Pot, meet kettle.

I haven't visited the church, but I've heard Harvey Carey speak [[preach) several times and Citadel of Faith is his church. Actually, it's Christ's church, and by that I mean that the members are church. Actually, it's Christ's church, and by that I mean that the members are church.

He impressed me with what he did [[strong, faith-based) and didn't [[political and social commentary) say.

I don't know where Grace Methodist went, was on West Chicago just west of Wyoming. That was the one I attended, once upon a time.
    Last edited by Mackenzie68; December-14-11 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Kept thinking

Why don't you try a few before you go that far? We truly have no shortage of churches of every type in this region.

Is it just me... or did a bunch of alarm bells just go off?

Aren't there enough to choose from? Or is reinventing the wheel really necessary?

Further splintering is anti-Ecumenical...

Try attending those churches suggested and see if you'll like and love going to one or two. God bless!