Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bedrock buys 1500 Woodward

I had heard about Gilbert's real estate arm Bedrock purchasing both 1520 and 1528 Woodward, but I had heard nothing of this until I was on their website. Seems like even more great news!

http://bedrockmgt.com/1500.html

Oh wow!! The Schwankowsky Temple of Music is sold to Gilbert... that is good news indeed. It would be nice if they restored the first floor facade... assuming there's something underneath the marble that's worth restoring.

This will make many DYESers happy!

If Gilbert keeps this up, they oughta put up a statue of him.
    Keep on buying, Danny boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Oh wow!! The Schwankowsky Temple of Music is sold to Gilbert... that is good news indeed. It would be nice if they restored the first floor facade... assuming there's something underneath the marble that's worth restoring.

This will make many DYESers happy!
    I love our beautiful theatres. Time polish the brass, the grandeur is slowly returning.

Are the 1520 and 1528 deals not completed yet? Shouldn't they be on that website?

Anyone know if he's kicking out the techno club? Between Oslo and that, Woodward could get a lot more lonely for the folks going to Bleu..

click on back to map HOW OLD IS THAT MAP!?!

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Its not that old. Maybe 4-5 years? MGM was under construction. The internet has upped your expectations?

I thought this thread had something to do with Fred, Barney, BamBam or Mr. Slate.

my bad

Good one gnome....or maybe Stoney Curtis...anyway, would'nt this make some sorta front page news? I did not see anything about a potential purchase of this building by Gilbert....just wondering!

This is exciting news. He seems to be concentrating on the Woodward corridor. I think that's a good strategy. We need rock solid Woodward, and then growth will continue from there.

I don't see him kicking out the techno club thing, but I think the long-term vision would be to have it replaced with something else that's more busy-corridor\shopping friendly.

The description said they want "pedestrian friendly" retail on the first floor. That most certainly isn't a techno club, but it'll probably stick around for a year or two until they can start renovating the building. Hopefully something music related can go into that building, to pay homage to its musical history.

Perfect place for an Apple store.

P.S. God its good to be rich...

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I thought this thread had something to do with Fred, Barney, BamBam or Mr. Slate.

my bad
    Just beacause a Flintoid is discussing Bedrock, you got to go there with this? Are you some kind of anti-stalagmite?

Welcome to Glibertown, folks! He's buying every last building in Downtown Detroit. Is his tactic a way to prevent Mike Illitch from buying the buildings in Downtown Detroit? Or his plan to turn Downtown Detroit into his liking. My answer is both.

Hmmmm...me thinks you helped Louis uncover this story.

This is great news. I wish Gilbert would buy some properties on the west side of Woodward though. 1401 Woodward [[The Elliot) would be an excellent renovation for apartments. There were plans years ago which fell through due to the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Hmmmm...me thinks you helped Louis uncover this story.
    Haha I'm thinking you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Taking from this quote, what are the buildings overlooking the Fisher Fwy on Woodward and the Fisher service drive?

If you're asking about the building on the northwest corner of Woodward at 75, it was the Donovan Building aka Motown's Adminstration building. An Albert Kahn work that was demo'd a week before the SuperBowl by Kwame and his future cellmate, Bobby Ferguson.

Mauser has some pics of the place. Google dfunk.

All said, the demo was a needless demonstration of blind stupidity.

Gilbert buying up property downtown is going to give the City Council an idea: lease out naming rights for downtown. Get one of those arena/stadium naming deals. 10 years for 200 million dollars. Would help with the city money problems.

Proposed names:
    Gilbertville
    Gilbert Township
    Quicken Loans Zone
    The Rock

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    Perfect place for an Apple store.

P.S. God its good to be rich...

Yes, I can see that happen in there. Wow, Gilbert certainly is proving that a downtown revival can be done piecemeal but with a certain speed. It really is a nice building, and one well worth preserving. Good stuff Detroit!

Geeze..... you Mac users and your Apple Store... shop online for chrissake.... let them put something there that EVERYONE can find useful...

PC User.... ducking for cover...

Wow! $575K for an old 22,500 sq. ft building that 100% vacant and needs a ton of work. It went for 10x what it's worth in this city. Just a year ago, there was a thread posted on here that they were asking $1.8m for the David Stott Tower.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast