Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 4428
Size:  44.0 KB

Some workers atop the PM station.

...how old is the infrastructure in the building-- wiring, plumbing, etc., would it be difficult to set up wi-fi/internet accessibility?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ...how old is the infrastructure in the building-- wiring, plumbing, etc., would it be difficult to set up wi-fi/internet accessibility?
    Wi-Fi/Internet is really easy. We're doing it right now in a 120-year old adaptive reuse conversion. To answer your question, it has nothing to do with the age or quality of the infrastructure. All you need is access to the areas behind the walls and you snake wire through. And since the Whitney is already a skeleton of its former self, it shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    If this project gets finished [[pending final approval of course, knock on wood) the old thought of Grand Circus Park being a skyscraper graveyard seems almost comical.Within the last 15 years we have seen redevelopment of the Kales, Grand Park Centre, 2 new stadiums, all the activity on Park Ave, the Opera House reopen, the redevelopments that led to the Beer Co. Small Plates, and 1515, and now the Madison Building and the Broderick Tower. More work to be done, but amazing progress from where we were!
    That is good to hear! I can't wait to see the end result of the former United Artist Building. Hopefully a movie theatre will open in one of the buildings that surround Grand Circus Park. The summer of 2013 should be a festive filled summer in Downtown Detroit. Events will probably go on at Hart Plaza, Campus Martius, Capitol Park, and Grand Circus Park simutaneously. That would create an increase in pedestrial traffic especially with the retail that will line Woodward from one point to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    If this project gets finished [[pending final approval of course, knock on wood) the old thought of Grand Circus Park being a skyscraper graveyard seems almost comical.Within the last 15 years we have seen redevelopment of the Kales, Grand Park Centre, 2 new stadiums, all the activity on Park Ave, the Opera House reopen, the redevelopments that led to the Beer Co. Small Plates, and 1515, and now the Madison Building and the Broderick Tower. More work to be done, but amazing progress from where we were!
    Actually, 1515 Broadway predates all of these. Chris Jaszczak has been operating the black box theatre in that location since the 1980s. He believed in the area back then, and it's good to see all that has sprouted up around him. The cafe -- operating on a daily basis -- came along in 2009, but Chris always had a snack area set up in the same spot during performances.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Actually, 1515 Broadway predates all of these. Chris Jaszczak has been operating the black box theatre in that location since the 1980s. He believed in the area back then, and it's good to see all that has sprouted up around him. The cafe -- operating on a daily basis -- came along in 2009, but Chris always had a snack area set up in the same spot during performances.
    I love going to 1515. It is one of my favorite coffee shops downtown. I had also attended a couple of plays that were held there.

Anyone heard of any progress on this building?

I was watching some old planning and economic development committee meetings that I had missed because they're a great way to see what's coming down the pipeline. At the November 8th meeting an issue came up in that the developer wanted the facade easement terminated saying that it was threatening financing, council moved to hold a public hearing the following week. At the Nov 15th meeting there was full public hearing with various city departments, and developer Dave Di'rita and someone from Bank of America.

The city Law Dept determined that there were IRS issues and the city might not be allowed to grant future easements, the city planning commission in talking to the State Historic Preservation Office said they had concerns. The developer and BOA said that the way their tax credits were structured, they couldn't finance with the easement in place and if theywaited until after the new year they would lose some of it..The council moved to eliminate the easement with the stipulation that developer would be legally responsible if there were any issues. I had to google to find what exactly a facade easement is and I know there some people here who are very well versed in the intricacies of these things so I'd like your opinions

For those that don't know what facade easement is:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-facade-easement.htm

The Whitney discussion starts at 21:25

http://apps.attainresponse.com/ComF5....htm?id=395690
    Last edited by MSUguy; December-19-12 at 12:37 PM.

Great news! No talk of a start/finish date anymore though... I wonder when this will actually begin. It was stated before that the Aloft would open at the end of 2013. It is clear that will not happen.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013012...text|FRONTPAGE

It will open in the summer of 2015, same time when the M-1 Rail is up and running, right along with Gilbert's retail along Woodward. Possibly the new Redwings Arena too..

The year 2014 will be a mess with construction and renovations everywhere, 2013 and 2015 will be a good year for revealing new openings and development.

Ummmm a new Red Wings Arena is going to take a long time from start to finish. The new Barclay's Center in Brooklyn took from 2008-2012 from excavation to completion.... so a few years is likely for any Red Wing future home...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUvqlkIGl8U

Finally!! It looks like the renovations are set to begin within a couple of weeks!

"With news Wednesday that Whitney Partners LLC had received $8 million from the Michigan Strategic Fund, a firm behind the long-in-the-making effort to renovate the now-vacant David Whitney Building in downtown Detroitsays it has the financing to begin construction in February.

James Van Dyke, vice president of development for The Roxbury Group in Detroit, said the $82.5 million project has received support from the state, Bank of America, the Detroit Downtown Development Authority and others in its effort to redevelop the Woodward Avenue building at Grand Circus Park.

The mixed-use development will contain ground-floor retail as well as a 135-room Aloft hotel and 108 apartments.

Van Dyke said construction on the 19-story building is expected to be completed by the middle of 2014."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...uilding-set-to

Five years ago I could've only dreamed to see the Broderick and David Whitney back up and running. I'm very excited about this...and greatly look forward to the first signs of construction...

Does anyone know what floors 2-4 of the Atrium will be used for? Originally it was 4 floors of shops.

I know that the Aloft brand comes with a couple of different types of restaurants. Maybe one of them will be on one of the floors above. Also, maybe they are including banquet rooms? Meeting rooms? Also, they may turn some of these floors into hotel rooms that open up to the atrium [[kinda like the old Hyatt in Dearborn has it). It's tough to say.

Starwood website says Aloft scheduled to open in July 2014.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...=north-america

July of 14' seem more then attainable as it's not going to require the extensive work the Broderick needed for renovation. Although does anyone know if the Whitney will need to have an asbestos removal prior to any work?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    July of 14' seem more then attainable as it's not going to require the extensive work the Broderick needed for renovation. Although does anyone know if the Whitney will need to have an asbestos removal prior to any work?
    While the inside of the building is in better shape, the plan is to restore the exterior of the building to near-original condition. This not only includes the building's cornice [[two-three stories of work), but two or three stories above street level where decorative elements were removed in favor of brick. The recently released rendering of the building shows this...

The DWB looks awesome in the new rendering. I really hope they stick to the plan. Speaking of cornices and exterior lighting, why has there been no lighting placed on the top of the Broderick? It already looks great at night but lighting would do wonders for it and the skyline.

Can someone post the rendering? I've used all my free stories from Crains for the month.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    The DWB looks awesome in the new rendering. I really hope they stick to the plan. Speaking of cornices and exterior lighting, why has there been no lighting placed on the top of the Broderick? It already looks great at night but lighting would do wonders for it and the skyline.
    I agree, It does need exterior lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    Can someone post the rendering? I've used all my free stories from Crains for the month.

All that timed with EFM's arrival.

Couldn't they have used a more recent image to create this rendering? Pre-Greektown Hotel and Madison redo, otherwise looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorath View Post

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast