Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Not to take any focus off the David Whitney Building renovation. I just came across that view, and saw the resemblance.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Not to take any focus off the David Whitney Building renovation. I just came across that view, and saw the resemblance.
    But you talked about turning your head and squinting. What the heck was that all about????

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    But you talked about turning your head and squinting. What the heck was that all about????
    The other photo is of the Miracle Mile, in Chicago.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; January-12-11 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Simplified

That is an awesome comparison. too bad Chicago has so many more magnificent buildings behind them as well.

Also, while we are on the subject of The Roxbury Group and as I mentioned before, there previous work on The Griswold, I came across this on their website and kind of gives me hope for a recovery of the former project:

"Located in the heart of Detroit’s central business district, and immediately adjacent to the soon to be re-opened historic Book-Cadillac Hotel, the Griswold is a dramatic mixed-use development which is already re-defining the Capitol Park district. The first phase of the project, to be completed in the late summer of 2008, includes 12,500 square feet of prime retail frontage on Griswold Street and Michigan Avenue and a 10 story, 545 space parking deck, with above-ground connection to the Book-Cadillac Hotel. Phase II of the project is designed to accommodate up to 100,000 square feet of Class A office space or up to 80 residential condominium units on floors 11 through 15. The Griswold’s commercial/residential floors will offer unobstructed views of the City, floor-to-ceiling window, open floor plans, and direct elevator access to on-site parking, retail and hotel amenities."

It should be interesting in the coming years if the housing market comes back. Does anyone think Phase II will ever happen?

I sure hope so. The initial renderings showed a very good looking building.

Back to the Whitney, I expect it will fill up at a reasonable pace; it has a dedicated entrance to the People Mover. A very convient ammenity for any tenant.

NorthEndere Guest

I wouldn't hold The Griswold against Roxbury, at all. If anything, the failure of that project gives me hope that this isn't their first rodeo, downtown, and that that was a teaching moment and they'll be more realistic as they go along with what they can and can't do.

I think what we can take from this initial information is that there is at the least very serious interest in redeveloping this building following the announcement of the renovation of the Broderick across the street, and that very serious people now own the building. One of the bigger obstacles to renovation downtown has always been speculators squatting on buildings hoping for a payday from an even bigger fish. This doesn't seem to be the case, here. The Broderick, for instance, was given a chance when the controlling interest was taken out of the hands of the man that had been sitting on it for years.

I have to agree about the Roxbury Group's decision to NOT build atop the Michigan Ave. parking deck [[not yet anyway). It was probably a wise move [[remember the Bloomfield Office Park fiasco?).

They had already paid to have the parking structure structurally adaptable for a condo project on top, and still have the aerial development rights.

As for the David Whitney Building... as has been mentioned it is the best condition of any unoccupied GCP buildings. Mercifully, after a brief period of mayhem [[where someone tossed a chair from an upper floor into the atrium skylight)... it has been shuttered and secured.

Interestingly enough, above the 4th story skylight is a 14 story lightwell above. The office floors are parallelogram shaped, with the center of each floor hollow [[lightwell).

A Whitney Building redevelopment rightfully would invoke "Skippers Rule". However, with the announced occupancy [[by the Quicken folks) of the Madison Building, and the [[finally) pre- construction activity starting on the Broderick Tower... and the continuing secretive work on the United Artists Building... this brings... at a minimum... a decent dose of optimism about what is happening in Grand Circus Park.

And I don't think we are privy to all the plans for that grand square. But I do believe that Grand Circus Park is going to be the home of Quicken and its' sister companies. I just don't think that all the pieces of the puzzle have been announced yet....

http://www.freep.com/article/2011011...itney-Building

A more in-depth article I found in the paper today.

I remember going to the dentist in that building in the early 1970's. It would require one transfer to get there. At that time I thought that Grand Circus Park was the best place in the world because I could chase birds and make them fly. [[Hey I was between ages 3-6, what do you expect?).

I've always loved the lobby of the building. When I found out that the guy who designed it also designed most of the waterfront and parks in Chicago I now understand why.

I would rather see Roxbury work on an existing building then build a new one any day of the week.

I would relish the opportunity to visit the David Whitney Building once again! I certainly did not appreciate its history and architectural beauty back in the 70s when visiting my dentist there or when going to finalize my high school graduation pictures.

Here's a pic of the atrium from below: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1089/...31ca489f_o.jpg

WOW! I always forget how beautiful the DWB really is. It is so sad that people driving past it are not able to know how architectually significant the building really is. Hopefully the replacement of the ornamentation will bring the significance of this building more to light. I can't wait to be able to walk in those doors, grab a cup of coffee, and support some small businesses [[or big businesses). The atrium of this building would make for the perfect Macy's. Or how bout we attract The Hudson Bay Company and have them open up their flagship United States store. Lower Woodward needs to become a powerhouse retail district once more! Hudson Block becomes a smaller version of Toronto's Eaton Center anyone?

If I see a fence put around the David Whitney Building and a gabage disposal units put in place, then I will believe it. Until then there is going to be some red tape and bureaucratic paperwork.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitScooter View Post
    Here's a pic of the atrium from below: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1089/...31ca489f_o.jpg

A bit like the Dime Building, which has my second favorite atrium downtown [[behind the Guardian's).

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    A bit like the Dime Building, which has my second favorite atrium downtown [[behind the Guardian's).
    I agree, the Guardian has the most intricate interiors of them all in downtown Detroit.

I had an office in the David Whitney Building in the 80s. I first moved into one of those closet-sized inner offices, and then graduated to Suite 1225 [[just like Christmas my mom pointed out) later. It was a corner office that looked out over Woodward and Grand Circus Park. What a view! I would occasionally date a woman at the time who's dad had a dentist's office in the building back in the day. She was dying to see my office and take a trip down memory lane. Turns out, when she got to it, she recognized it as her dad's old office.

When en route to my office, I often felt as though I was in the middle of a Sam Spade adventure The corridors were rather narrow, the floors and walls marble, and doors to the offices were wood with an inset of frosted glass. Most offices were identified with hand-lettered signs on the glass and there were working transoms over every door. I often flirted with the idea of becoming a gumshoe. It seemed so appropriate.

In the 80s, the building was bought by some ambitious small-time developers from New York. They poured a fair amount of money into the building and made their residence across the street at Trolley Plaza. Before their purchase, the elevators had been "modernized" with some kind of laminate on the walls which was constantly being defaced with graffiti, carvings and other urban hieroglyphics. The owners peeled off the covering to reveal this beautiful original wood veneer underneath, which they restored to it's original glory. They also restored the intricately engraved and detailed brass elevator doors. For as long as I remained a tenant, those elevators received barely a nick. People respected the beauty and didn't mess with it.

Yes, indeed... it is one of Detroit's treasures.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Not surprising. The Dime Building, The David Whitney Building, and the Ford Building were all designed by Daniel Burnham, the architect of many significant buildings around the world.

Thanks for fixing my links Whitehouse....

Here a pic of the David Whitney Building taken from atop of the Broderick Tower looking down at the David Whitney Building lightwell....

Corrected links....
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanm/2952516244/
    Last edited by Gistok; January-13-11 at 03:16 PM.

It's CRIMINAL that this atrium isn't being used right now. It's arguably nicer than the Marshall Fields atrium here in Chicago.

How important is the presence of the people mover there? I know the DWB is a stop on the line but to be honest, the station is a real stain on the building. The whole front of the building is scarred by that station.

Is it possible to do some retro architecture work on the station so it could be seen as an addition to the building? Could someon post some pictures of the station and the connection to the building?

Detroitscooter thank you so much for posting that photo. I emailed the link to various friends that are big Detroit supporters. What incredible news. I have always loved the Whitney.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Here are a few more pics of the David Whitney Building Lobby, as well as a photo taken from atop of the Broderick Tower down at the David Whitney Building looking into the lightwell....

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=David Whitney Building Lobby

Correct link

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    How important is the presence of the people mover there? I know the DWB is a stop on the line but to be honest, the station is a real stain on the building. The whole front of the building is scarred by that station.

Is it possible to do some retro architecture work on the station so it could be seen as an addition to the building? Could someon post some pictures of the station and the connection to the building?
    The station was built to be integrated into the building. While you may see it as a stain, people would use the DWB lobby to enter and exit the train, giving the shop owners more traffic in front of thier store. At one time this was going to be the main link between the People Mover and the Woodward subway for downtown. The subway was the reason for siting the station there. Now it is used for events at Comerica and other venues in the area. Unfortunately, since the building was closed, the platform is no longer ADA compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    If you turn your head to the side and squint, it almost looks like..... nah, nevermind.

Whoa, thats awesome! I've never seen this postcard before. If you look to the far right, it has the super-tall 81-story Book Tower that was proposed before the depression and never built. Awesome find.

A look inside the lobby... I took this during a location scout for a film.

Name:  4354953327_e74faa0ff6_z.jpg
Views: 4880
Size:  65.8 KB

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast