Autum Colors
AUTUMN COLORS ABLAZE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 310
  1. #1

    Default David Whitney Building Renovation [Now Open for Business]

    he restored David Whitney Atrium in 360 degree panorama. View Online >> [[Drag you mouse or finger around on image to see full interior]


    Update Dec. 22, 2014: Whitney Opens to Sold out Demand

    It's been a long time coming with lots of doubts and even more doubters but this snippet from Crain's tells it all.

    "All 108 apartments at The Residences at the David Whitney have been leased, and all of the hotel’s available 136 rooms were sold out for its first weekend, he said.

    “People have been pulling on the doors, basically, for several months now,” Damitio said.

    Though the apartments are all leased, the management company is still taking applications for a waiting list, he said.

    The plan is to begin moving residents in after the first of the year in staggered fashion. “We’re trying not to create too much chaos at once,” Damitio said."

    Update Images:
    Dec. 1, 2014
    Lions Installed building fully cleaned:




    Update Images:
    June 6, 2014
    Power wash cleanup begins:



    Update Images:
    September 24, 2013
    Repair of Exterior Brickwork Proceeds:






    THREAD ORIGINAL POST by buildingsofdetroit:
    Well this deal certainly flew under my radar. I hadn't heard anyone even talking about this. John Gallagher has the deets at Freep.com!http://www.freep.com/article/2011011...for-renovation

  2. #2

    Default

    I'm excited about this, but worry it could be a project killer if the cost is too high.

    "David Di Rita, a partner in the Roxbury Group, told the DDA that plans include restoring the Whitney's original classical architectural ornament that was stripped away a half-century ago."

  3. #3

    Default

    I knew this couldn't be far behind the Broderick... the only thing that worries me, is that the Roxbury Group, one of the general partners, was also the group behind 'The Griswold,' the failed condo project atop the Book-Cadillac garage. There is still a long way to go, as this DDA loan is merely to help buy the building.

  4. #4

    Default

    I find it funny in the comments section that a guy in Texas called that part of the city "decimated".

    Stromberg2

  5. #5

    Default

    very skeptical on this one. why are there no details other than the ornamental replacement? we don't even know what this is going to be.

  6. #6

    Default

    Again, I'll believe it when I see it. How long did Broderick Tower talks go on before they just started?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Again, I'll believe it when I see it. How long did Broderick Tower talks go on before they just started?
    Over ten years at least...

  8. #8

    Default

    We have to give Roxbury more credit here. They have worked hard on recent projects. They have the Auburn coming to Midtown. They still have the air rights to the book cadillac garage (which reminds me, their website shows that they still plan to build condos and/or offices above the garage, considered to be phase 2. They even have new renderings). They have done enough to gain respect from me on the development end. At least they are dedicated to Detroit, unlike some other developers.

  9. #9

    Default

    Good news for Detroit, IMO.

  10. #10

    Default

    This is exciting news; however, are most people speculating this is a residential renovation? Or will this be office space for a yet to be announced firm relocating downtown? Thoughts?

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    This is exciting news; however, are most people speculating this is a residential renovation? Or will this be office space for a yet to be announced firm relocating downtown? Thoughts?
    Since the DEGC and DDA seem like they will do anything for Quicken, this could be part of one of their bigger developments. it is too bad John Gallagher's article was soooo short and vague.

  12. #12
    DetroitDad Guest

    Default Cornices To Be Restored

    I like this little gem:

    David Di Rita, a partner in the Roxbury Group, told the DDA that plans include restoring the Whitney's original classical architectural ornament that was stripped away a half-century ago.

    Read more: Detroit's David Whitney Building in line for renovation | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2011011...#ixzz1As22sp8O


    Last edited by DetroitDad; January-12-11 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Pictures Added

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I like this little gem:
    That is definitely interesting. Does anyone have good pictures of the David Whitney before the ornamentation was stripped away?

  14. #14

    Default

    Dr. Anderson, who was my first pediatrician was located at the Whitney in the early 50's....I would love to see this building flourish before my time is up....hell, I'd like to see about 15-20 buildings downtown flourish.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    That is definitely interesting. Does anyone have good pictures of the David Whitney before the ornamentation was stripped away?
    Here ya go, RBD:
    http://tinyurl.com/687vsc4


    I thought this was a great and powerful quote from the Free Press message boards on the news of the David Whitney Building renovation: "It will never be my grandfather's Detroit, and I hope it's never again my father's Detroit, but I see everyday that my son's Detroit will be even better than mine."

  16. #16

    Default

    I got my first pair of glasses around 1955 or 56 at an optometrist in the David Whitney Bldg. His wife was one of my teachers at Keating Elementary.

  17. #17
    DetroitDad Guest

    Default

    Amazing picture! Thanks for posting that!

    Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Here ya go, RBD:
    http://tinyurl.com/687vsc4


    I thought this was a great and powerful quote from the Free Press message boards on the news of the David Whitney Building renovation: "It will never be my grandfather's Detroit, and I hope it's never again my father's Detroit, but I see everyday that my son's Detroit will be even better than mine."

  18. #18

    Default

    While not a good view... this should give you some idea of what the David Whitney Building looked like (the Broderick/Eaton Tower was not yet under construction)....

    Opps... someone already posted it... but this is a side view...

    Name:  GCP Postcard2.jpg
Views: 16002
Size:  61.9 KB
    Last edited by Gistok; January-12-11 at 07:49 PM.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    I thought this was a great and powerful quote from the Free Press message boards on the news of the David Whitney Building renovation: "It will never be my grandfather's Detroit, and I hope it's never again my father's Detroit, but I see everyday that my son's Detroit will be even better than mine."
    Thanks BofD, and wow, that is such a powerful quote. That just shows that people out there are seeing the slow transformation back to a viable, livable city.

    Wow, if they can restore that ornamentation, i won't even know what to say. Just beautiful!

  20. #20

    Default

    It has been posted here before that the Whitney is in significantly better condition than the Broderick is. They did roof repairs, keep the windows closed, and kept security around to monitor the entrances. Apparently the interior skylight is really a sight to behold.

    I just think it would be great if they reopened the first couple floors on the GCP side and reopened the entrance to the DPM. I think the building was only open a couple years after the DPM opened before it closed up.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    It has been posted here before that the Whitney is in significantly better condition than the Broderick is. They did roof repairs, keep the windows closed, and kept security around to monitor the entrances. Apparently the interior skylight is really a sight to behold.

    I just think it would be great if they reopened the first couple floors on the GCP side and reopened the entrance to the DPM. I think the building was only open a couple years after the DPM opened before it closed up.
    I remember at least part of the building being open in 1991. There was a sandwich shop on the second floor called the Sandwich Corner, I think, that got a lot of my business when I was living in the Fyfe Apartments.

  22. #22
    DetroitDad Guest

    Default

    You should never, ever doubt what nobody is sure about!

    Quote Originally Posted by Planner3357 View Post
    Again, I'll believe it when I see it. How long did Broderick Tower talks go on before they just started?
    Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    very skeptical on this one. why are there no details other than the ornamental replacement? we don't even know what this is going to be.

  23. #23

    Default

    Skipper's Rule.

  24. #24
    DetroitDad Guest

    Default Set of Miracles

    If you turn your head to the side and squint, it almost looks like..... nah, nevermind.




  25. #25
    DC48080 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    If you turn your head to the side and squint, it almost looks like..... nah, nevermind.



    [IMG]http://fineartamerica.com/images-medium/bus-on-miracle-mile-anita-

    burgermeister.jpg[/IMG]
    Huh? What are you trying to say?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.