Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Rest in peace. Ford Ecoline is no more.

Another icon bites the dust.

Full story on Jalopnik.

First thought: wow, that was quick.

Second thought: I think you mean Econoline.

Does this make my E-350 worth more?

Econoline dead to be replaced by a TranShit ? Thats as good of a laugh as the HHR replacing the Astro.
    I guess fuel economy and global shared platforms are the way of the future.

Seemed ike the E$conoline had strong fleet sales, I'm sure the Crown Vic was right there with it, but if they're losing money building them then I'm sure they'd rather build $50,000 F150's.

I currently own a 2004 E-350 cargo van and they are a reliable, time tested design that are well known for going strong into the 300-400K mile range. IMO Ford is making a mistake by totally changing the platform instead of updating their current E-Series. The quote "If it's not broke don't fix it" sometimes gets credited to Henry Ford, and I think that really applies in this situation. The Econoline pretty much has the market cornered in the full size segment, and this is just opening the door for would be repeat buyers to consider other options.

My guess is that Ford will use this model change to move more of the work to Mexico and only do the final assembly here in the U.S, but at least they don't plan on dodging U.S tariffs like they do on the transit connect commercial line.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125357990638429655.html
    Last edited by Johnnny5; December-11-11 at 08:15 PM.

The Transit connect, as well as a new platform replacement will be built by Ford in Kansas City, and the larger F-350 and larger will be moved from Mexico to the Avon Lake, Ohio. As somebody who has driven the replacement in Europe and China, I'll take it any day over the fuel hog Econoline. The diesel versions of these replacements are amazing. Glad Ford is moving into the 20th century.

I doubt Ford will offer a small diesel in North America.

It is truly sad to see the Econoline gone. At least they continue with the cutaways and larger chassis variants. While I prefer Dodge and Chevy vans over the Fords there is no doubt that the American vans are in a class of their own compared to the overpriced worthless junk offered in Europe. The Transit is a prime example of an extremely poor design. But, this seems to be a world run by politicians and customer choice is vanishing bit by bit. I bet this was a cheap way for Ford to adapt to new CAFE standards. If the American consumers get a product that moves them to the stone age doesn't matter. The greedy Germans already killed the Dodge with another piece of junk so there is only the Chevy/GMC left. It will probably be only a matter of time when the government kills that one too. I can only hope that the American consumers turn away from the Fords now and buy Express vans instead. The main thing however would be to turn away from the politicians who jam stuff you don't want, down your throat. Don't be sheep like the people in Europe.

Only thing I dont like about the Econoline is the headroom in back. I know the cost difference is huge but I got to use an F250 with a high cap and it was nice not to have to bend when loading/unloading. All this without much rigging the way a bare Econoline would. But the fuel and the handling is not that great. All the F series trucks have a death wobble thing that happens if you glide over a bump at certain speeds. Not good. Havent tried the Sprinter yet.

good-night, sweet prince...

It has been a sad year for America

The state uses the crap out of these vans for van pools and inmate transport, I hope Ford can retain that type of market it would be a shame to lose those sales to GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderpath View Post
    The Transit connect, as well as a new platform replacement will be built by Ford in Kansas City, and the larger F-350 and larger will be moved from Mexico to the Avon Lake, Ohio. As somebody who has driven the replacement in Europe and China, I'll take it any day over the fuel hog Econoline. The diesel versions of these replacements are amazing. Glad Ford is moving into the 20th century.
    It shocks me that anyone could prefer a Transit over an Econoline??!! Or maybe you are just a troll? The playing field isn't exactly level in protectionist Europe so by the time we have a US van registered here it is an $80K vehicle and considered a luxury ride [[and I'm not talking about conversion vans), still, without any official dealers, garages with parts in stock etc many people pay twice the amount for these than for the horrible Transits or other ugly uncomfortable european vans. Unfortunately in most cases the government has forced the choice on us. Looks like it will be the same in the US.

V8 vans or V8 Pick ups due to C.A.F.E. standards ? Make mine the F-Series.

2011 Diesel E-450, 22,000# GCWR.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    All the F series trucks have a death wobble thing that happens if you glide over a bump at certain speeds. Not good.
    We have an F250 pickup at work and a couple of times when I hit a bump on the freeway, it was all I could do to keep it from going into the other lane.

On another note, my dad had one of the early 60s Econoline vans. He went somewhere on the expressway on a windy Saturday and he said he thought it was going to tip over. He put it up for sale within the week.

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    We have an F250 pickup at work and a couple of times when I hit a bump on the freeway, it was all I could do to keep it from going into the other lane.

On another note, my dad had one of the early 60s Econoline vans. He went somewhere on the expressway on a windy Saturday and he said he thought it was going to tip over. He put it up for sale within the week.

Yeah the wind thing is what I wonder about for the Sprinter/Mercedes van. I used to drive a VW Westfalia van, and I had a hard time keeping it on the road on windy days because of how high and narrow the thing was. I hated it for that and for the fact it was the most unreliable and expensive piece of junk to maintain. So this gives creedance to Forwardlook's view that european stuff aint as good as is peddled.

I see at the top of this page that someone posted a picture of my old van. Seriously though, I never loved a vehicle the way I loved my Regatta Blue1987 E-150 300ci I-6 4 spd stick van.

I bought it new from Village Ford in Dearborn and drove it out of the dealership on my way to grad school in Boston that night. That van was with me through my Boston years, my NYC years, my California years, a bunch of Detroit years, and my entire 15 year first marriage. It went into Mexico, throughout Canada, up to Maine, down to Florida, and over the Rockies and the Sierras several times. It helped me move a dozen times, and helped me move friends' and relatives' stuff countless more times. Through rain and snow and wind it went, surviving a garage fire, a hurricane, being struck by lightning, being invaded by small animals and homeless people, and numerous theft attempts.

One day south of San Francisco in 1995 I noticed that the odometer had stopped working. It had 294,000 miles on it then. I kept it running until the floor rusted through and the electrical harness caught fire in 2006. By then it looked somewhat like the one at the top of this thread, except for the large NYC graffiti painted on one side by some of my miscreant kid neighbors.

Sad news that they are to be no more, and that I will probably never own one again. Goodbye old friends.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; December-15-11 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I currently own a 2004 E-350 cargo van and they are a reliable, time tested design that are well known for going strong into the 300-400K mile range. IMO Ford is making a mistake by totally changing the platform instead of updating their current E-Series. The quote "If it's not broke don't fix it" sometimes gets credited to Henry Ford, and I think that really applies in this situation. The Econoline pretty much has the market cornered in the full size segment, and this is just opening the door for would be repeat buyers to consider other options.

My guess is that Ford will use this model change to move more of the work to Mexico and only do the final assembly here in the U.S, but at least they don't plan on dodging U.S tariffs like they do on the transit connect commercial line.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125357990638429655.html
    I would have to think that fuel economy played a big role in it's demise. The Gov has mandated that most if not all vehicles average 40-50 miles per gallon by the year 2015. The Transit is more fuel efficient if nothing else.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-16-11 at 10:29 AM.