Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroiter killed at home hailed as hero for begging for mercy for wife's life

'Surrounded by family in her kitchen Wednesday morning, Alberta Caldwell said she wants to stay in the house she's lived in for years, but doesn't know if she will.

"I would [[stay), but the kids don't want me to," she said.'

http://www.freep.com/article/2011120...cy-wife-s-life

Caldwell, who spent years working on the line at Chrysler's Lynch Road assembly plant, left his home in the 18400 block of Edinborough before 5 a.m. Wednesday, as he did every workday, to catch a bus to his part-time factory job in Highland Park because his car is broken down, his brother, Charles Caldwell said.
    Low-budget, suburban WJBK screws up again, as always...

http://detroit.citysearch.com/profil...xle_plant.html

Chrysler Detroit Axle Plant
    [[313) 252-5400

6700 Lynch Rd
    Detroit, MI 48234

DETROIT [[it wouldn't even have been a stretch to say Hamtramck), but that's nowhere near Highland Park.

Furthermore, it closed in 2010. So either one of their "journalists" didn't do their job as usual or Mr. Caldwell has been working inside an empty factory for the past year. Even if it's not what they meant, that's not the reader's problem if they couldn't articulate the story correctly.

Well, going only from the quote you posted, it doesn't say the current part time job is at Lynch Road. Maybe he was working a part time job at another factory in HP after leaving Chrysler.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Well, going only from the quote you posted, it doesn't say the current part time job is at Lynch Road. Maybe he was working a part time job at another factory in HP after leaving Chrysler.
    Which is why I said this [[assuming that's the case, we don't know)...

Even if it's not what they meant, that's not the reader's problem if they couldn't articulate the story correctly.
    In fact, based on how I read the quote, particularly the "as he did every workday" part, they make it seem as if he's was working the Chrysler Lynch Plant in Highland Park all of his life, in which the location alone was incorrect.

Congrats to yet another stellar job WJBK!!! Just keep your viewers and reader guessing as to whatever your "journalist" was trying to report.

I understood the article to mean he previously worked at Lynch Road and now had a part time job in Highland Park. Still the writer could have been clearer in trying, as I think she was, to portray the victim was a hard-working selfless guy.

Nonetheless, it is a bittersweet story. We have two other threads on generosity in our city, paying a bill in Roseville, buying everybody breakfast in Windsor, but even those kind acts pale in comparison to his gift of life.

Indeed it is a sad story, yet with some light. I angers me that the murderers in this case and others are about free and clear, but some may meet their end quickly when they ply their trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I understood the article to mean he previously worked at Lynch Road and now had a part time job in Highland Park. Still the writer could have been clearer in trying, as I think she was, to portray the victim was a hard-working selfless guy.

Nonetheless, it is a bittersweet story. We have two other threads on generosity in our city, paying a bill in Roseville, buying everybody breakfast in Windsor, but even those kind acts pale in comparison to his gift of life.

The terrible reporting aside, it is touching what happened. Mr. Caldwell did a very noble thing, and it shows that he cared more about the well-being of his loved ones than himself. What's interesting too is the gunman could have still shot his wife after he killed Mr. Caldwell. So the stars were definitely aligned in her favor.

May Mr. Caldwell rest in peace.

And also, I do think his wife should follow her children's advice and get out of the city. It's not very safe for a female her age to be living alone in the city right now.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Low-budget, suburban WJBK screws up again, as always...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Why must you post your crap in a thread that's otherwise showcasing that there are still decent people in the world?

Just acknowledge the nice gesture and move along with your business.
    Last edited by East Detroit; December-11-11 at 11:13 AM.