Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mystery Shopper Pays $187 Wal-Mart Bill in Roseville

Occurrence Guest

Walmart is such a horrible company, I can't believe people shop there and support it.

I only went into Walmart once to pick up something for a friend, and it was a sad horrifying experience. If I'm going to go the big-box route, I'd rather spend an extra $4 and take my business to Meijer or something.
    Last edited by Occurrence; December-11-11 at 03:26 AM.

SteveJ Guest

Well some people don't have an extra $4...

That was incredibly nice of that guy. Merry Christmas to him.

I have no inherent problem with Wal-Mart other than I don't like the way their stores are laid out. Meijer is laid out much more logically and doesn't have as much junk littering the aisles making navigation impossible.

I remember a study a few months ago where they compared a the prices on a list of common items [[light bulbs, soap, dish detergent, etc...) Wal-Mart had the lowest prices on some items, but overall Target had the best prices on the most items. I think Sams Club, per volume or quantity, had the lowest prices of all [[which is owned by Wal-Mart, oddly enough)

Occurrence Guest

What really did me in for Walmart was when they fired a cancer patient for failing a piss test for smoking pot, even though he had a legal medical marijuana card.

Yeah, great company.....

I avoid Walmart too, reminds me too much of some future government 'food and personal needs access center' LOL! Merchandise messy in the isles, on the floors, surly people and their horrid employment politics/ policies.

However, I am glad this gift was provided to this family. It speaks to the personal choice people still make to give as they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Walmart is such a horrible company, I can't believe people shop there and support it.

I only went into Walmart once to pick up something for a friend, and it was a sad horrifying experience. If I'm going to go the big-box route, I'd rather spend an extra $4 and take my business to Meijer or something.

Hah! If Walmart could figure out a way to be a marijuana dispensary they would with no post amble or ambling in between! It's all about the expedient profitability.
    What really did me in for Walmart was when they fired a cancer patient for failing a piss test for smoking pot, even though he had a legal medical marijuana card.

Yeah, great company.....

Why must you post your crap in a thread that's otherwise showcasing that there are still decent people in the world?

Just acknowledge the nice gesture and move along with your business.

Occurrence Guest

Hahaha, Walmart is where one would go to find the headache inducing reggos.

Whoever thought of this http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos is a smart person. I'm creeped out enough just cutting though the parking lot of a Walmart. It is kind of interesting to see photos of the creatures that lurk within.

I have a conscience.

I NEVER go to WM. For anything.

I don't care if someone pays for it for me. The product is still tainted by the WM stench.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Why must you post your crap in a thread that's otherwise showcasing that there are still decent people in the world?

Just acknowledge the nice gesture and move along with your business.
    I acknowledge the nice gesture as well.

It was a great gesture no matter where it was done. It would even be nice if it was some guy in a dive bar that you wouldn't be caught dead in who paid the bill for everyone.
    Kindhearted is kindhearted no matter where you are.
    And a Merry f'ing Christmas to all of you who found fault with this.

Occurrence Guest

Nobody is saying anything bad about the gesture, we are just bashing on Walmart. It was a great gesture.

They could discover the cure for AIDS at Walmart and I would still say something bad.

The thread wasn't about Wal Mart per se; it was about a grand gesture. So if you really feel the need to bag on Wal Mart, why not start another thread?
    I'm not a WM fan either, but I am a fan of whoever this guy is.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Well some people don't have an extra $4...
    Maybe that's because all the jobs have moved overseas, where they produce cheap crap and megacorporations like Wal-Mart ship it in and sell it for less, thereby driving down our standards of living and closing more mom-and-pop, locally owned stores, squeezing us further so we want to save more so we buy more cheap plastic Chinese crap, thereby helping the ongoing death spiral.

Or maybe not. Have a nice day.

Wait, so none of the other stores do that? All the stuff in those stores come from China too. We sent ourselves in our own death spiral by not supporting our local but higher priced small businesses. Ever try to find clothes made in America? Luxe Jeans is the best I can find in Detroit and they are out of my price range,so sad to say I am a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by lukabottle View Post
    We sent ourselves in our own death spiral by not supporting our local but higher priced small businesses.
    Would you support your local but higher priced small businesses if you can get something cheaper at another establishment?

We sent ourselves in our own death spiral when we deregulated trade. Otherwise Wal-Mart and the rest of them would still be selling higher priced items just like the mom-and-pop stores AND the wages of Americans would still be increasing with productivity and inflation.

As I said, I am a hypocrite for not supporting Luxe Jeans and instead buying cheaper jeans.

We sent ourselves in our own death spiral when we deregulated trade.
    Definitely agree!

Occurrence Guest

I speak for myself, but I support higher priced local businesses whenever I can. I don't need or want a lot of things, so rarely do I ever step into a big-box store.

If you are going to shop big-box I say pick the lessor of the evils and go to Meijer or Target or wherever.

Wal*Mart exists so some people can feel better about themselves through the mere act of shopping at other stores.

"What a saint, he shops at Meijer!"

I never go to Wallmart. [[Well, there isn't one here for 10,000 miles. Fact!)

QFT. Wal-mart sucks ass.

Ravine Guest

Would you support your local but higher priced small businesses if you can get something cheaper at another establishment?

We sent ourselves in our own death spiral when we deregulated trade. Otherwise Wal-Mart and the rest of them would still be selling higher priced items just like the mom-and-pop stores AND the wages of Americans would still be increasing with productivity and inflation.
    I do know of someone who would-- quite pointedly-- do just that, in fact, yes.
    She's right here. In fact, she's very nearby.
    She just does it, without bragging or calling attention to it.
    I admire her for it.

As to the topic, here, the funny thing is that many of us-- with good reason-- would tend to think, "Oh, look at what some nice rich person did," but y'know, I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that the anonymous benefactor is not rich.
    Although, clearly, they have a wealth of heart.
    Last edited by Ravine; December-12-11 at 12:11 AM.

I guess my beef with Walmart is probably the same argument that can be made with the automakers. They TELL their suppliers that they have to bring the prices down, or they'll look elsewhere. So if your a clothing or toy manufacturer... you're going to cut costs by transporting your manufacturing to a cheaper overseas location. In the automotive industry this process has meant survival... which is necessary. But in retail... yes they undercut their competition by $4 or whatever... but the sad thing is that the shareholders come out ahead in their $180 billion in assets.... not the employees. And certainly not not the American public.

Who pays for Walmart employees health care when the company won't? We all do.... I always like it when people are up in arms about Obamacare... but are usually mum about Walmart Care... here's a Fox News article.....
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/industrie...care-benefits/

Also... I love this about the Walton family...

"The five Walton heirs who are listed in the Forbes 400 Billionaires list are worth a total of $86.4 billion. To be fair, Christy Walton is listed as “and family,” but the others – Jim, Alice, S. Robson and Nancy – are listed as individuals. Nancy is the only one not in the top ten. She’s only worth $2.9 billion. Their combined net worth has grown from $64.6 billion in 2006, a 33.7% increase in wealth during and after the recession. When recently interviewed, Alice Walton laughed off criticism of her family’s company, while explaining how, during a horse competition, she placed $12 million in phone bids on art for her private Crystal Bridges Museum in Bentonville, Arkansas."

Sorta reminds one of Leona Helmsley... and her "little people" comments...

What a magnanimous action by the donor and in a most appropriate store for the gesture - Walmart; which helps millions of shoppers with good prices and provides tens of thousands of jobs. The lady and her family would have been overjoyed with their good luck at this festive time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast