Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wayne State football team wins - Will play for National Championship

Wayne State football game online on ESPN3.comThe information is in the title.Go Warriors.

Tartars win! [[who are the Warriors, ha ha)

As one with degrees from both Penn State and Wayne State, at least one of my alma mater's football teams is making me proud this season.

Congrats to the team, coaches, and players.

11 AM ET on ESPN2 next week for the national championship game [[will be against either Delta State University of Mississippi or Pittsburg State University of Kansas). Game played at a neutral site in Florence, Alabama.

Congrats WSU!! On to the the National Championship game after defeating formerly unbeaten Winston Salem.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20111...football-title

Go Tarters!!!! err Warriors!!

Congrats to the Tartars! [[They'll always be the Tartars to me). Wayne State made the play-offs for the first time in its history and then defeated #1 ranked Winston-Salem to make it to next Saturday's National Division 2 Championship Game. Proud of my alma mater.

We may have two uniquely Detroit stories this football season. CT winning a state title and WSU winning a national title. Never happen before with each..

This is indeed good news for the school and for the city.

My question is does anyone know when and why did the name change occur ? Is there something offensive about naming a team the Tartars? I understand why someone would be offended by a team called the Redskins, but Tartars? Is calling someone a Tartar culturally insensitive?

Question....
    .....NCAA Div III, or NAIA?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    This is indeed good news for the school and for the city.

My question is does anyone know when and why did the name change occur ? Is there something offensive about naming a team the Tartars? I understand why someone would be offended by a team called the Redskins, but Tartars? Is calling someone a Tartar culturally insensitive?
    Tartars are the ethnic group that make up the majority of Mongolia.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Question....
    .....NCAA Div III, or NAIA?
    Neither. NCAA Division II.

Circa has been having watch parties if anyone wants to check out the game next Saturday. 11AM Detroit time on ESPN.
    Last edited by j to the jeremy; December-11-11 at 12:25 PM.

Boo to the Freep! Maybe it's just me, but the achievement deserves more recognition than being placed on page 11C, especially by the hometown newspaper.

Congratulations Tartars! The game is on ESPN2, and I will definitely be watching. They've had to win all their playoff games on the road, which really makes it impressive.

Pretty sure they said the name change was because too many people had no idea what a Tartar was, so they wanted a more 'identifiable' name. But calling them the Warriors is like calling Pine Knob DTE. Just can't do it!

Quote Originally Posted by 65memories View Post
    Boo to the Freep! Maybe it's just me, but the achievement deserves more recognition than being placed on page 11C, especially by the hometown newspaper.
    I agree, unfortunately this is a pro sports market and a high level D-1 market. The achievements of the smaller colleges take a back seat and its really too bad.

The article may have been on page 11C, but they did have a big headline/note on the left side of the front page about it, referring you to page 11C. So it was mentioned on the front page and that was quite noticable to me. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    We may have two uniquely Detroit stories this football season. CT winning a state title and WSU winning a national title. Never happen before with each..

That means that the Detroit Lions will win the Superbowl!

I actually proposed to former President Reid that the obvious team name for Wayne is the Madmen. I'm not sure whether the women's teams should be Madwomen or Lady Madmen.

Warriors is too trite for words.

ESPN2 11:00 AM.

Go Tartars.

Not Tartars! WARRIORS

WE ARE WARRIORS! GO WAYNE STATE!

CLASS OF 2010

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I actually proposed to former President Reid that the obvious team name for Wayne is the Madmen. I'm not sure whether the women's teams should be Madwomen or Lady Madmen.

Warriors is too trite for words.
    This would have been such an authentic, cool choice. Warriors is way generic.

For anyone interested, here is the online stream of the game:

http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/9...tate-[[mi).html

#DetroitPride