Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New guy wants to talk Packard

I am new on this site.

My interest in Detroit auto makers peaked when I bought a restored 1954 Packard Cavalier a couple of months ago and I wanted to tour the Packard factory by web.

I was aware the Packard building complex was the largest abandoned building in Detroit.

I wanted to see where the cars were made and did do the Google Earth street view tour of the expansive factory.

Questions arise:

There is talk of a Detroit auto factory mapping project, I would like to see this if it exists.

I wondered how Packard chassis components came together with bodies from the Briggs Body factory, reported to have been on Connor Street for my 1954 Packard.

I find almost nothing on the web about Briggs although Chrysler apparently bought all of the Briggs, Murray LaBaron operations in the mid 1950’s and leased the Connor street plant to back to Packard.

I am aware that may components used in auto manufacturing were used by all of the various name plates such as steering [[Gemmer), Brakes [[Bendix), Electrical [[Delco) and so on all made in the USA with USA labor. I would be interesting to know if these factory buildings still exist and haven’t been destroyed.

It is sad to me to see the state of ruin to the Packard Building.

More questions:

Was the Terracotta main entrance preserved?
    Was any of the original manufacturing machinery intact in the past ten years? I gather the building complex was re-purposed after Packard moved out in 1956 although it appears the big destruction was ramped up in about 2009.

Jim

What was it's official address?

Here is some info posted earlier:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...Building-Guide

I think I found it: 1580 E. G. B.

Destruction was well on the way long prior to 2009.

There was a mapping project online for all/most manufacturers and part suppliers. Unfortunately my computer fried a few weeks ago, and the is something I lost. I'm sure someone will be along to help you on that.

I used to restore Packard's and others. The shop I worked at [[Complete Restorations), moved from Mt. Clemens to St. Clair, Mi. They specialized on Packard show cars.

Attachment 11450

Welcome, Jim!!

To answer your question....
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmc View Post
    Was the Terracotta main entrance preserved?
    Here's an article with some details:
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20080826/free/808269993

I'm sure that you'll hear from a number of our Packard car and factory experts as this thread progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmc View Post
    I am new on this site.

My interest in Detroit auto makers peaked when I bought a restored 1954 Packard Cavalier a couple of months ago and I wanted to tour the Packard factory by web.

Jim
    Hello Jim Mc:

If you really want to talk Packards, then you need to join Motor City Packards, a region of the Packard Automobile Classic, a.k.a the Packard Club. I am the immediate past president of the region and one of my duties is to encourage membership in the club. We are in the process of updating out web site, but you can link onto it here: http://www.motorcitypackards.com/index.php At the upper right hand side of the home page click onto "Application."

Print out the application - it says 2011, but our dues will be the same in 2012. After you complete the application then mail it to our Membership Director with a check for the appropriate dues. We have 210 family memberships, but we always are looking for for folks to join the party. We held our annual dinner last weekend and our next meeting is in February.

You should also get a copy of the Packard Plant History and building guide as mentioned in post #3.

The sandstone entry doors were acquired from the owners of the PMCC Building and are currently being stored at the Packard Proving Grounds to be used at a later date there.

I am withholding comments on the Conner Plant as 56Packman is the expert on that part of Packard history and the best person to comment - expect him to chime in soon here.

Hope to see you at the meeting in February

Best, --Roger--

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Welcome, Jim!!

To answer your question....

Here's an article with some details:
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20080826/free/808269993
    Technically, there were 2 "main" entrances to the PMCC Building on East Grand Boulevard.

The entrance shown on the link you provided was purchased by a Texas attorney that used the museum owner in Dayton, OH as his bidding proxy at the auction. It was never really clear if the entrance was going to be used at a museum the Texas attorney wanted to build or if it was going to be an addition to the privately-owned museum in Dayton. Anyway, the auction required quick removal and the entrance was stored in Dayton.

Unfortunately, Texas attorney was killed in an automobile accident shortly thereafter. Last I heard the entrance ownership is in limbo as heirs and want-to-be heirs wrestle over things.

Meanwhile, the Packard Motor Car Foundation did acquire the other "main" entrance and it is in storage at the PPG. Our entrance is the more iconic version of the two as it was used in all the Packard publications and advertising. Please see the 1929 image attached.

--Roger--Name:  Factory front 1929 catalog [[Medium).jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  44.7 KB

Last edited by Hornwrecker; December-09-11 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks, Roger, for the additional details on the Packard Plant Grand Blvd entrance doors. That's a wonderful vintage graphic!!

Second on Hornwreckers Post about the Hall of Fame Old car factories thread. You will also find, among that 25 pages of posts, a 4 page jpeg file of locations of old car factories, not just big 3, suppliers, including Briggs, among tons of other info includling stuff you're looking for about Briggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    There was also this thread where the OP started a google map and tried to get all auto sites put on a world map:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...nt-map-project

You can find the map here:
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...6ffdaa&t=h&z=3

Give the data time to load.

--Roger--

Here's a link to the OCF data base [[that really needs to be updated one of these days, when I ever feel like slogging through that monster thread again).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ML&hl=en#gid=0

The employee entrance and other "valuable" items from 1580 E. Grand taken last October at the Packard Proving Grounds.

Hi Jim! There are also a bunch of videos on YouTube. The most recent shows the factory showroom, and the parking garage roof, where the ramp exits out.

Went by to take pics! After looking around its time to put the old plant out of its misery and raze it!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Went by to take pics! After looking around its time to put the old plant out of its misery and raze it!
    Crap,after spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours and all I had to do was ask of your expert opinion , how much would you have charged for such services for future reference?

Or how about , wow the plant has been empty long enough what about we put it to good use providing jobs for our fellow man and maybe preserve a little bit of our past while we are at it ,cup half full or half empty?
    Last edited by Richard; December-11-11 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Crap,after spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of man hours and all I had to do was ask of your expert opinion , how much would you have charged for such services for future reference?

Or how about , wow the plant has been empty long enough what about we put it to good use providing jobs for our fellow man and maybe preserve a little bit of our past while we are at it ,cup half full or half empty?
    So you willing to put up the money to restore the buildings??? I would love it if you did as I do not have the funding available. So who would use the buildings once you restored them providing what jobs? Please tell where you would come up with the money to accomplish this pipe dream? When you make it look like this then you can call me out!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What is the Pierce-Arrow Building now?

Stromberg2

From what little I can find on Google, it's being used pretty much the same way the Packard complex was before the Archer Administration -- subdivided into cheap space for small businesses.