Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit realist fiction?

I loved Tom Wolfe's realist portrayals of New York and Atlanta in his novels. All I fiction I can find that is set in Detroit is the mystery/crime genre [[Estleman et al) and historical fiction [[Leonard et al). Who's writing contemporary realist novels set in Detroit?

Thanks from a Detroit-phile on the West Coast.

It's pretty old, but there's Them by Joyce Carol Oates. Then there is Grand River and Joy by an author whose name escapes me. She discussed her book on this forum about a year ago.

Thanks, but both of those are set 50 years ago. Is anyone writing about contemporary Detroit? i.e. a novel set in the last 15 years or so?

Jonathan Rand's Michigan Chillers: Dinosaurs Destroy Detroit!

I remember as a kid checking it out from the school library. It sort of spurred me to read more of the series but I only got through one other book. Mackinaw City Mummies, I think? Anyway, it's sort of a young reader's book but it's the only one I know of.

Edit: Ah, I remember, it was Michigan Mega Monsters! Good times.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; December-09-11 at 03:22 AM.

The only stuff I know of is Urban Fiction... Pulp-type sex and drug infused novels. This one called "Whore" has over 150 positive reviews on Amazon: so perhaps it is a good novel. http://www.amazon.com/Whore-Triple-C...420784&sr=8-27

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Then there is Grand River and Joy by an author whose name escapes me. She discussed her book on this forum about a year ago.
    Susan Messer is the author of Grand River and Joy.

In no particular order, I like Michael Zadoorian, [["Second Hand") Also, Gary Hardwick [[try "Dark Town Redemption"). Hardwick is in the "mystery/crime" genre, but never held that against anyone. I also like the short stories collected in "Detroit Noir." I also like "Eight Dogs Named Jack," by Joe Borri. It is a collection of stories, many set in Detroit, but also others set "Up North." The hunting and fishing stories are all populated by Detroiters and give a Detroit-eyed view of the north woods.

This looks like just what I've been looking for, and it's just out: Say Nice Things About Detroit

Has anyone read it yet?

This is perfect. I read it and liked it. It has been brought up at Dyes before.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ck-in-the-80-s

The Turner House by Angela Flournoy sounds like just what I've been looking for. It's been shortlisted for a national book award. Has anyone read it?

The Virgin Suicides + Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Both excellent

Anything new out there that's 1) Set in present-day Detroit [[not decades ago), and 2) not pulp crime genre? The Turner House by Angela Flournoy was right up my alley.