Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Snyder tells young people: Forget Chicago, be part of changing Detroit

By: Kathleen Gray

Gov. Rick Snyder has nothing against the Windy City.

But when people ask him why young people should move to Detroit, he has a simple answer.

"Do you want to be another yuppie in Chicago, or do you want to make a difference in Detroit?" he told the Free Press on Wednesday.

Young people these days, he said, want to make a difference, be part of a renaissance or a success story. And Detroit offers opportunities galore.

"What better place to come than this community," Snyder said. "To say you're on the ground floor of helping bring back a wonderful urban environment, to be part of a success story. ... No disrespect to Chicago, but they've got lots of young people, and you're just going to blend in and just be another person there."

As for venture capitalists, he tells them that Detroit is a perfect place to practice value investing. He cites the city's abundant stock of cheap, vacant land, its portfolio of human talent eager to land a job and the opportunity for investors to diversify their portfolios.

"We have a lot of unemployment and underemployment and very talented people," Snyder said. "And the biggest driver of long-term economic growth in terms of where people will go is talent. That will drive more behavior than any other single feature."

http://www.freep.com/article/2011120...anging-Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Wow. Duplicate threads started at exactly the same time.

What are the odds?
    Very common.

I watched this video already, I like what our gov. actually had to say.

He's YOUR Governor.

Chicago's overrated, no doubt in my mind ........ but even for those who agree, can Detroit even compete with the likes of Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Indy, or Cincinnati [[Upper Midwest cities that are all increasingly appealing to young professionals)? I see very little reason to say "yes."

...reliable regional mass transit is a must, as is public safety... scattershot city services, ongoing municipal squabbling don't help..

Count me as one of the yuppies that has disappeared into the mass. Hey I love Detroit and Michigan. But I can live my life here in Chicago without any sort of conflict or worry. If a problem arrises, I can call the city and they handle it. The functionality of the Chicago city government is astonishing.

I came here for a job, because I was broke and needed one fast. It's top tier global city and there were plenty of people from college I knew would be joining me. I had plenty of safe and vibrant neighborhoods to choose from and a transit system to get anywhere I wanted to go. Rents are affordable for a big city and there are endless recreational opportunities, free zoos and art museums.

Someday I do want to move back to Michigan, but I realize I will be sacrificing an incredible amount of lifestyle conveniences. I hope Snyder realizes the uphill battle he and his citizens face.

I've always said Detroit should never try to be a Chicago. It needs to offer something different to attract more residents. However, it does need better regionalism like Chicago, a more functional government, more mass transit options, and a better police department. Things that will have a direct effect on someone's willingness to start a business or move into the city.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Count me as one of the yuppies that has disappeared into the mass. Hey I love Detroit and Michigan. But I can live my life here in Chicago without any sort of conflict or worry. If a problem arrises, I can call the city and they handle it. The functionality of the Chicago city government is astonishing.

I came here for a job, because I was broke and needed one fast. It's top tier global city and there were plenty of people from college I knew would be joining me. I had plenty of safe and vibrant neighborhoods to choose from and a transit system to get anywhere I wanted to go. Rents are affordable for a big city and there are endless recreational opportunities, free zoos and art museums.

Someday I do want to move back to Michigan, but I realize I will be sacrificing an incredible amount of lifestyle conveniences. I hope Snyder realizes the uphill battle he and his citizens face.

I've always said Detroit should never try to be a Chicago. It needs to offer something different to attract more residents. However, it does need better regionalism like Chicago, a more functional government, more mass transit options, and a better police department. Things that will have a direct effect on someone's willingness to start a business or move into the city.

And do you feel like you are blending in too much or do you still feel like an individual? Honestly, Snyder should fish around for new arguments in the belated effort to recruit or keep its citizens. As you mention wolverine, regional support and transit vision are a key component to rehabbing Michigan's status. That should be governor Snyder's plateful right there.

Actually it is Bing and other leaders in Detroit who should be trying to attract people to move to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNittany View Post
    Chicago's overrated, no doubt in my mind ........ but even for those who agree, can Detroit even compete with the likes of Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Indy, or Cincinnati [[Upper Midwest cities that are all increasingly appealing to young professionals)? I see very little reason to say "yes."
    I would prefer Detroit to any of those cities. I'd prefer Chicago to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    our adored Governor.
    Meh, I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    And do you feel like you are blending in too much or do you still feel like an individual? Honestly, Snyder should fish around for new arguments in the belated effort to recruit or keep its citizens. As you mention wolverine, regional support and transit vision are a key component to rehabbing Michigan's status. That should be governor Snyder's plateful right there.
    Blending isn't necessarily bad. Certainly there is more competition in bigger cities to stand out. But employment [[at least professionally), good friends, and a nice neighborhood are all you need to be happy.

What's important is the city [[as in city services) treats and respects you as an individual. When I report a problem, I can expect the city to come out same day and fix it, and later send a letter and photo explaining and confirming the work was done. Fast and effective response and solutions are what every individual...business owner and resident should receive from their city.

His heart is in the right place. But what is he gonna do to keep them there?

That, though, isn't what is most flawed about his apparent train of thought. Chicago's strategy isn't focused on retaining native Chicagoans. Cities like Chicago are compete globally to attract residents. If the governor doesn't understand that then... Michigan doesn't stand a chance against Chicago.

IMO Chicago is vastly overrated. I don't understand the appeal.

If you want to stay in the U.S. and live in a first tier global city, NYC is the only real choice.

SF and DC are also much better choices for urbanites than Chicago. I would probably put Boston and Philly ahead of Chicago too, if we're talking strictly urban experience.

That said, Detroit just doesn't offer a lot right now for city types. It may one day though, and it would be exciting to be part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    His heart is in the right place. But what is he gonna do to keep them there?

That, though, isn't what is most flawed about his apparent train of thought. Chicago's strategy isn't focused on retaining native Chicagoans. Cities like Chicago are compete globally to attract residents. If the governor doesn't understand that then... Michigan doesn't stand a chance against Chicago.

iheartthed,

You hit the head on the nail. Chicago, San Fran, NYC, LA, D.C. and Boston are global cities and the're catering to the international masses. Not the natives. It's unfortunate but it's true. If you can afford to stay and enjoy everything these cities have to offer then that's a bonus for you. I have a good friend who grew up in NYC and now that he, his family and friends have all left over the years, he CANNOT even afford to visit the city that he grew up in. He's scared and depressed that he's lost a big part of who he is. He's depressed because he cannot live in the area that is really "who he is."

Maybe this is a good thing about Detroit. But sadly, most of the people and businesses that I remember who made Detroit "Detroit" have left too. Even Detroit is a new city.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

If you want to stay in the U.S. and live in a first tier global city, NYC is the only real choice.

SF and DC are also much better choices for urbanites than Chicago. I would probably put Boston and Philly ahead of Chicago too, if we're talking strictly urban experience.

That said, Detroit just doesn't offer a lot right now for city types. It may one day though, and it would be exciting to be part of the process.
    I agree that NYC is the only true global city in the U.S., but that's probably something you can only truly understand after you have lived here. I think Michiganders tend to inflate Chicago's stature a little, but I don't think it's overrated from a national perspective.

I'd rate Philly and Chicago about equal for an urban experience, but Chicago has a lot more going on right now [[and probably more future potential too). I'm not a fan of Boston... I'd choose Chicago over Boston without much hesitation. Chicago competes well against Washington on scale, but loses badly to it on diversity, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    iheartthed,

You hit the head on the nail. Chicago, San Fran, NYC, LA, D.C. and Boston are global cities and the're catering to the international masses. Not the natives. It's unfortunate but it's true. If you can afford to stay and enjoy everything these cities have to offer then that's a bonus for you. I have a good friend who grew up in NYC and now that he, his family and friends have all left over the years, he CANNOT even afford to visit the city that he grew up in. He's scared and depressed that he's lost a big part of who he is. He's depressed because he cannot live in the area that is really "who he is."

Maybe this is a good thing about Detroit. But sadly, most of the people and businesses that I remember who made Detroit "Detroit" have left too. Even Detroit is a new city.
    Yeah, it's not as easy as you'd think to find a native New Yorker in living New York. It's much easier to find a native Detroiter in Detroit.

There was a time not long ago when Detroit was in the same caliber of city as those you listed, but today it's far too insular to compete. It's probably the first modern American metropolis to transition from top tier to second tier American metropolitan area.

I agree that NYC is the only true global city in the U.S., but that's probably something you can only truly understand after you have lived here. I think Michiganders tend to inflate Chicago's stature a little, but I don't think it's overrated from a national perspective..
    I basically agree with this.

I meant Chicago's stature within Michigan and the immediate Midwest. I don't think Chicago is overrated from a national perspective [[it often isn't part of the conversation on the East and West Coasts), but, from a Michigan perspective, it seems to be wildly overrated by some, IMO.

Great downtown and some really nice urban neighborhoods, but absolutely nothing compared to NYC. Comparing Chicago to NYC is like comparing Detroit to Chicago. Maybe worse.

And Illinois is really, really weak when it comes to natural beauty and nearby attractions. At least Michigan is a beautiful state.

I'd rate Philly and Chicago about equal for an urban experience, but Chicago has a lot more going on right now [[and probably more future potential too). I'm not a fan of Boston... I'd choose Chicago over Boston without much hesitation. Chicago competes well against Washington on scale, but loses badly to it on diversity, IMO.
    I'm not a huge Boston fan either, but I think it has a really good urban fabric, and is somewhat more cosmopolitan than Chicago. DC has made some serious urban strides, and is very international. A bit too single industry for my tastes, though. You're right that Philly is somewhat limited in its potential, maybe because it's within the NYC oribit.

Personally, if I had to pick a #2 city for urban living in the U.S., I would choose SF. It's a bit ahead of Chicago, DC, Boston and Philly.

Stay in the city for the vast tracts of empty land and unemployment. That's his pitch? Whatever happened to leadership? Snyder should be presenting his vision for the future. As others have stated, it starts with transit and public safety but it should be so much more. It's almost as bad as listening to the presidential candidates.

I think Snyder has a point, but Detroit has to make its own way, and it really will require changing a lot of how the state is structured, regarding laws, home rule, etc.

I lived in DC for a few years before moving back, and it is an interesting city but seems fractured, with MD and NOVA, even though DC is all on the MD side I know. DC seems like a much smaller place than Chicago, obviously without the skyscrapers. Chicago strikes me as a Houston north, sprawl in all directions from the coast.

It's been said here before, but I wonder how Detroit would be today if it was able to grow like Toronto. Maybe that's a subject for another thread though. Still I am hopeful that maybe now Detroit will be reborn again [[ok, it's a sappy Phoenix analogy, I admit).

I just got back from a weekend in Montreal, had a very good time. I enjoyed counting all the cars with snow tires - it's the law there. Interesting - I doubt that would fly here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

I'm in Chicago right now visiting. It is vastly overated, you are right. I don't see the appeal of this city especially over Detroit. Chicago lacks the unique retail options that Detroit has. It lacks the coolness factor and convenience of the People Mover and lacks the vibrancy of Detroit. Where is the Midtown here? Nothing in Chicago comes close. I have checked out the neighborhoods in Chicago and yawn, give me Corktown or Midtown anyday. Shopping? The Somerset Collection blows away anything in Chicago. Downtown Chicago is a TGIF and that is basically it along with boring empty chain stores. Chicago has nothing on riding a DDOT bus down Woodward with the packed frequent service and the excitment of entering a downtown. I just don't see the appeal of Chicago. Theatre Distracit? Nothing in Chicago compares to ours. Fox Theatre doesn't exist here not even close. Chicago is bland, empty, dangerous, dull and rundown. Way overated. Chicago is a big Toledo. Give me Detroit anyday. People have been fooled about Chicago like a Hollywood movie.
    Last edited by timmy43; December-08-11 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy43 View Post
    I'm in Chicago right now visiting. It is vastly overated, you are right. I don't see the appeal of this city especially over Detroit. Chicago lacks the unique retail options that Detroit has. It lacks the coolness factor and convenience of the People Mover and lacks the vibrancy of Detroit. Where is the Midtown here? Nothing in Chicago comes close. I have checked out the neighborhoods in Chicago and yawn, give me Corktown or Midtown anyday. Shopping? The Somerset Collection blows away anything in Chicago. Downtown Chicago is a TGIF and that is basically it along with boring empty chain stores. Chicago has nothing on riding a DDOT bus down Woodward with the packed frequent service and the excitment of entering a downtown. I just don't see the appeal of Chicago. Theatre Distracit? Nothing in Chicago compares to ours. Fox Theatre doesn't exist here not even close. Chicago is bland, empty, dangerous, dull and rundown. Way overated. Chicago is a big Toledo. Give me Detroit anyday. People have been fooled about Chicago like a Hollywood movie.
    What the hell, dude? You motivated me to register just to try and set you straight.

Convenience of the People Mover? Chicago is the only other U.S. city with an elevated train system around its downtown, and unlike the People Mover you can get to other parts of the city.

Chicago's Midtown? Hyde Park, which is anchored by the most prestigious university in the Midwest. As well, the Museum Campus has an even more impressive cluster of museums.

What neighborhoods did you check out? Chicago has probably the best urban neighborhoods in the Midwest, with the likes of Old Town, Ravenswood, the West Loop, Printer's Row, Chinatown, the Gold Coast, I can go on and on.

Shopping? Did you even see any part of Michigan Avenue and its side streets?

The Woodward bus? No, the buses down Milwaukee or Lincoln or Madison or South Michigan or Lake Shore Drive, or the Brown or Red or Green or Blue El lines do not compare at all to that "efficient, breath taking view."

Theatre district? Hint: State and Lake. Not to mention another cluster in Lincoln Park.

Bland, empty, dangerous, dull, and rundown? Sure, down on 63rd Street, but sure as hell not downtown.

A big Toledo? Oh man, you must be trolling. That is like calling New York a big Syracuse.

In short, Chicago is the urban heart of the Midwest. I take pride in all Midwestern cities, and desperately want Detroit to rise, but taking low potshots at the most urban, bustling city between the coasts sure won't help your case, or your city.
    Last edited by ProudMidwesterner; December-09-11 at 12:09 AM.

I don't think Chicago is overrated. I think Chicago is a top tier, alpha city of the world. I'm choosing Detroit because I want to be a part of building something big rather than joining something big.

Not everyone here feels that way, but that was the impetus for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudMidwesterner View Post
    What the hell, dude? You motivated me to register just to try and set you straight.

Convenience of the People Mover? Chicago is the only other U.S. city with an elevated train system around its downtown, and unlike the People Mover you can get to other parts of the city.

Chicago's Midtown? Hyde Park, which is anchored by the most prestigious university in the Midwest. As well, the Museum Campus has an even more impressive cluster of museums.

What neighborhoods did you check out? Chicago has probably the best urban neighborhoods in the Midwest, with the likes of Old Town, Ravenswood, the West Loop, Printer's Row, Chinatown, the Gold Coast, I can go on and on.

Shopping? Did you even see any part of Michigan Avenue and its side streets?

The Woodward bus? No, the buses down Milwaukee or Lincoln or Madison or South Michigan or Lake Shore Drive, or the Brown or Red or Green or Blue El lines do not compare at all to that "efficient, breath taking view."

Theatre district? Hint: State and Lake. Not to mention another cluster in Lincoln Park.

Bland, empty, dangerous, dull, and rundown? Sure, down on 63rd Street, but sure as hell not downtown.

A big Toledo? Oh man, you must be trolling. That is like calling New York a big Syracuse.

In short, Chicago is the urban heart of the Midwest. I take pride in all Midwestern cities, and desperately want Detroit to rise, but taking low potshots at the most urban, bustling city between the coasts sure won't help your case, or your city.
    I could be wrong, but I sense an extraordinary amount of sarcasm coming from timmy43's post.

Quote Originally Posted by begingri View Post
    I could be wrong, but I sense an extraordinary amount of sarcasm coming from timmy43's post.
    After re-reading his post carefully, you may be right.

If this is true, then that was definitely a great first post from timmy43.

I'd leave NY out of it. NY is the U.S.'s global city, home [[or second home) to the people who make the decisions about whether the rest of us have jobs or not.

Of the rest, from what I've seen, in terms of having an urban residential experience [[dense downtown, residential neighborhoods with restaurants, bars and groceries in walking distance), I'd call Chicago and SF tops, followed by [[in no particular order) Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Seattle, and Portland.

IMHO, one problem Detroit had from the start [[thinking about the 20's here) was that none of the three largest companies here had headquarters in downtown. Ford was in Dearborn, Chrysler in Highland Park, and GM was in New Center. As a result, Detroit never had the downtown it should have had.

Snyder's got a point, but only if some of the young people who stay in Detroit can come up with the Next Big Thing, and once they've done that still want to stay here and not move on to a better climate/scenery.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast