Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Help placing a location in photo [[12th Street & ?)

I need some help placing a location in a photo. Here is a photo from the Detroit News courtesy the WSU Virtual Motor City Collection. The short caption says that it was taken in May of 1968, and shows RFK tour the '67 riot area along 12th Street [[Rosa Parks). Now, the riots were before my time, and the streetscape obviously changed so much that I don't recognize exactly where this was taken from. I thought someone that might have known the businesses along the street could tell me what cross street is pictured here? I'm not even sure what direction we're looking in this one [[north or south).

That's an interesting photo. It appears to be taken very close to 12th and Clairmount. You can see Economy Printing at the left rear. That's the building that housed the blind pig that was raided by the DPD, which led to the rock-throwing, which led to the riot/rebellion.

And that would make sense for a publicity hound like a Kennedy trying to draw attention to himself.

Its 12th [[Rosa Parks) and Clairmount. The photo is looking north along Rosa Parks heading into the streets of the Boston Edison Area. Where the buildings on the left are, today is a park...some of the buildingon the right is still there today....

Are there any politicians who aren't publicity hounds trying to draw attention to themselves? That seems to be a trait shared across the political spectrum and across cultures. The residents look pretty happy to see Kennedy in their midst. That would be a month or less before he died.

Of the buildings on the right..from the corner to the tallest building are gone, but the rest of the building with the awnings are there even now...

To be even more direct....the place where Kennedy is in the photo is next to a set of housing units that start at Rosa Parks and Clairmount...and go south on Rosa Parks to the Comerica Bank location.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    And that would make sense for a publicity hound like a Kennedy trying to draw attention to himself.
    Ummm... he was running for President at the time, so, whoever he was, wouldn't a little publicity hounding have been required and expected?

Or can you just not let your animosity towards someone who's been dead for 43 years go long enough to just let someone answer a simple question about the location of a photo without getting your little stupid crack in?

First off let me say how nice it is to see Zulu Warrior back on the forum. For those don't know him, pay attention to his voice, he is wise and speaks the truth.

Second, let me add that the blind pig was on the second floor of the printers.

If I have oriented myself correctly, this is the view from Google's Streeview:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    If I have oriented myself correctly, this is the view from Google's Streeview:
    Let's make that interactive: Streetview of 12th and Clairmount.

Thanks for those who helped with this. I actually lived in this general area as a child and feel embarrassed for not actually recognizing exactly where this was. lol I only knew it as my hood with the Farmer Jacks down the street. It's crazy how unrecognizable a place can become by just eliminating storefronts.