Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default My citizen complaint against DPD

On the Friday afternoon after enjoying Thanksgiving with my family, my brother and I pulled up in front of my boyfriend's house [[in Detroit) to pick him up on our way downtown. A block away, we see a black and gold squad car pull up in front of a house. After a few minutes, the cops get back into the car and drive toward us [[going the wrong way on a one-way of course). While passing, they stared at us but kept going. With them out of sight and mind, my guy got in and we pulled off. As I approached the intersection from the north about to make a left, the squad car [[from the east) comes out of nowhere and slams on the brakes. I ushered them forward even though they had the yield, figuring they might have someplace more important to be than us. But they, in turn, ushered us forward and flicked their spotlight. So I went. About 5 secs later I hear the whoop and see red and blue lights in the rearview. By then, I'm doing almost 20 mph and going through the next intersection [[this is on a cross-street in a residential neighborhood). So I begin to pull over as I'm crossing and hear the whoop again. Mind you guys, I've gone from one intersection to the next on a small side street. Maybe 75 ft.

The next thing I know, both of my front car doors get flung open, a white cop on my side, a black cop on my bro's side. The Bcop bashes my car door into the curb, leaving damage, seen later upon inspection. I said, "Hey! Watch what you do to my car!" and he replied, "Shut the f*** up." The Wcop then screamed at me about how I'm going to effing jail because I didn't stop the effing car "immediately" after he turned on his effing lights. Then the Bcop grabbed my bro out of the car by the collar and shoved his hand down the front of my bro's pants, telling him "you know you’re going to jail right?" By then he was absolutely mortified, coming from out of town and not used to this behavior from police, but all he could do is say nothing and comply.

Meanwhile, the Wcop grabs and frisks me, and tells me to stand behind the car while he repeats over and over again, "I can't believe it! I've never seen this before in my life! What the f*** is wrong with you." I didn't say a word. He then screamed at my guy to get out of the car, frisked him, and told him to get out his ID and stand with me. He then rifles through the car and my purse, dumping it out all over the place. The three of us were hands-on-the-trunk as they kept asking "where'd you hide it?" It's then I read the words on the Bcop's vest: GANG SQUAD.

Then the Wcop reads my guy's ID and realizes that he lives in the house he just exited from. I swear to you guys, I wish I had a video of his reaction because it was priceless, he was so mad. A flurry of threats and taunts ensued. They then told us to get in the car, and they go to run my ID. After the Bcop comes back and hands it to me without a word, I ask him for his name, but he ignores me, and as he gets in his car I hear him say, "This one gets to keep the car," and they speed off.

For the record, I'm an elected person in this city, with no recent record, no tickets, no points. My boyfriend's family has lived in that neighborhood for 42 years, while watching it burn around them as the cops and cityhall looked on. Pirate hookers and trappers openly solicit from passer-bys while the police drive-by without a care, and have even been seen taking their opportunities with the hookers in the alleys behind the near-by party store. All the while the remaining residents, most of which are related or are too poor to move, have tried to make the best of it.

So I filed a complaint. It's not the fact that we got pulled over that upsets me. We are in a well-known dopehood and it is expected that at anytime we could get stopped. Since Godbee has taken over, my boyfriend has been stopped in the near proximity of his house several times, once when he had a small child in tow, and while mowing his lawn. He's asked the same question almost every time:"What are YOU doing over here?" He gets upset, but laughs it off. We know they're out here doing a dangerous job that they don't get paid enough for, which can really suck, and sometimes the people they stop are dangerous and mean. But to be treated so badly, and by the very people that not two weeks ago I was defending for calling off in protest to the proposed wage cuts. They were so aggressive and disrespectful, it was completely unnecessary and definitely an upsetting and eye-opening experience.

Two things stuck out to the three of us in this situation. One, we were and are constantly being racially profiled [[white in an 8 mile neighborhood), and two, they wanted to confiscate my car [[a late model caddy), through drug forfeiture, which costs at least $900 to get back from the impound. When I communicated these points to the Sgt., who took the complaint amongst the over a dozen officers standing around in the station, he said that what one person sees as wrong, someone else will call "good police work."

My brother, who was considering a move here in the near future, now wants nothing of it. My boyfriend told me recently he's thinking about moving his family out of Detroit. We'd been planning on buying a house here together.

There are people on this forum who have expressed a wish for the return of STRESS. I'm wondering how the behavior exhibited to me and my family by Gang Squad differs from the notorious past inflictions done to Detroiters by STRESS. Couldn't I say these departments are one in the same?

I just wanted to share this story with you all, and vent a little. Sorry it's so long. I know I'm not the only one dealing with these things.

And I still love Detroit. I guess I can still feel good about that.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; December-07-11 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    On the Friday afternoon after enjoying Thanksgiving with my family, my brother and I pulled up in front of my boyfriend's house [[in Detroit) to pick him up on our way downtown. A block away, we see a black and gold squad car pull up in front of a house. After a few minutes, the cops get back into the car and drive toward us [[going the wrong way on a one-way of course). While passing, they stared at us but kept going. With them out of sight and mind, my guy got in and we pulled off. As I approached the intersection from the north about to make a left, the squad car [[from the east) comes out of nowhere and slams on the brakes. I ushered them forward even though they had the yield, figuring they might have someplace more important to be than us. But they, in turn, ushered us forward and flicked their spotlight. So I went. About 5 secs later I hear the whoop and see red and blue lights in the rearview. By then, I'm doing almost 20 mph and going through the next intersection [[this is on a cross-street in a residential neighborhood). So I begin to pull over as I'm crossing and hear the whoop again. Mind you guys, I've gone from one intersection to the next on a small side street. Maybe 75 ft.

The next thing I know, both of my front car doors get flung open, a white cop on my side, a black cop on my bro's side. The Bcop bashes my car door into the curb, leaving damage, seen later upon inspection. I said, "Hey! Watch what you do to my car!" and he replied, "Shut the f*** up." The Wcop then screamed at me about how I'm going to effing jail because I didn't stop the effing car "immediately" after he turned on his effing lights. Then the Bcop grabbed my bro out of the car by the collar and shoved his hand down the front of my bro's pants, telling him "you know you’re going to jail right?" By then he was absolutely mortified, coming from out of town and not used to this behavior from police, but all he could do is say nothing and comply.

Meanwhile, the Wcop grabs and frisks me, and tells me to stand behind the car while he repeats over and over again, "I can't believe it! I've never seen this before in my life! What the f*** is wrong with you." He then screamed at my guy to get out of the car, frisked him, and told him to get out his ID and stand with me. He then rifles through the car and my purse, dumping it out all over the place. The three of us were hands-on-the-trunk as they kept asking "where'd you hide it?" It's then I read the words on the Bcop's vest: GANG SQUAD.

Then the Wcop reads my guy's ID and realizes that he lives in the house he just exited from. I swear to you guys, I wish I had a video of his reaction because it was priceless, he was so mad. A flurry of threats and taunts ensued. They then told us to get in the car, and they go to run my ID. After the Bcop comes back and hands it to me without a word, I ask him for his name, but he ignores me, and as he gets in his car I hear him say, "This one gets to keep the car," and they speed off.

For the record, I'm an elected person in this city, with no recent record, no tickets, no points. My boyfriend's family has lived in that neighborhood for 42 years, while watching it burn around them as the cops and cityhall looked on. Pirate hookers and trappers openly solicit from passer-bys while the police drive-by without a care, and have even been seen taking their opportunities with the hookers in the alleys behind the near-by party store. All the while the remaining residents, most of which are related or are too poor to move, have tried to make the best of it.

So I filed a complaint. It's not the fact that we got pulled over that upsets me. We are in a well-known dopehood and it is expected that at anytime we could get stopped. Since Godbee has taken over, my boyfriend has been stopped in the near proximity of his house several times, once when he had a small child in tow. He's asked the same question almost every time:"What are YOU doing over here?" He gets upset, but laughs it off eventually. We know they're out here doing a dangerous job that they don't get paid enough for, which can really suck, and sometimes the people they stop are dangerous and mean. But to be treated so badly, and by the very people that not two weeks ago I was defending for calling off in protest to the proposed wage cuts. They were so aggressive and disrespectful, it was completely unnecessary and definitely an upsetting and eye-opening experience.

Two things stuck out to the three of us in this situation. One, we were and are constantly being racially profiled [[white in an 8 mile neighborhood), and two, they wanted to confiscate my car [[a late model caddy), through drug forfeiture, which costs at least $900 to get back from the impound. When I communicated these points to the Sgt., who took the complaint amongst the over a dozen officers standing around in the station, he said that what one person sees as wrong, someone else will call "good police work."

My brother, who was considering a move here in the near future, now wants nothing of it. My boyfriend just told me last night he's thinking about moving his family out of Detroit. We've been planning on buying a house here together.

There are people on this forum who have expressed a wish for the return of STRESS. I'm wondering how the behavior exhibited to me and my family by Gang Squad differs from the notorious past inflictions done to Detroiters by STRESS. Couldn't I say these departments are one in the same?

I just wanted to share this story with you all, and vent a little. Sorry it's so long. I know I'm not the only one dealing with these things.

And I still love Detroit. I guess I can still feel good about that.

That is ridiculous and unacceptable behavior from DPD. I hope you get some questions answered.

I've have had negative experiences with police in Monroe County, Oakland County [[the worst) and Wayne County. I find that the officers are usually on a sort of a power trip and enjoy seeing you uncomfortable as your future lies uncertain in their hands.

One of the funniest was in Monroe in a gas station a couple of years ago when the K9 squad was called and the locals surrounded us and started screaming abuse at the cops while they were doing a search with the dog in my car. One of the things screamed was that the police were enforcing law in Monroe but in 'Money Row'.

On the other hand Genesee County and Ohio police are *usually* easy going.
    Last edited by riviera; December-07-11 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post

For the record, I'm an elected person in this city,

Well, then YOU should be able to do something about it, right? To help keep it from happening to others.

**Note that I didn't quote the entire post, only the part I was responding to**

You my sympathy DetroitsGwenivere. I wish I could offer more.

It has been said that many of Detroit's woes are due - in no small part - to suburban dwellers coming into the City to commit crimes. Buying drugs is one crime mentioned, tagging is another. There are numerous examples of how outsiders have used the City as their playground/dumping ground.

Huge swaths of the eastside stand in mute testimony to how drugs and crime can scar a city. Many of those who buy the drugs are white folk from Greenback Heights and many of those folk drive nice late model cars.

I must admit when I see a Caddy in the Hood I think someone is up to no good. Smart folks who want to avoid conflict drive hoopties. That might just be me, but the thought of paying insurance for a nice car is beyond my ken.

The tough guy cop gets the Barney Phife award, he should also take a class in gentlemanly behavior. But I don't think he was pulling you over as much as all those other folks who have funded the destruction of the City.

I don't want to sound like I'm blaming you, rather all the other Caddy drivers who have helped spread the curse. Since you weren't beaten up I'm not sure what exactly you are complaining about. I get the guy was a jerk and he hurt your feelings ...

Repeal all drug forfeiture laws.

Legalize all drugs.

End the fake and already-lost Drug War.

And now, thanks to the Supreme Court within the past few days calling citizen recording of anything a First Amendment FREEDOM, turn ALL video cameras onto the police.

Immediately.

Sincerely,
    John

You have these two on illegal search, at the very least. They went into your vehicle without clear reason, and even performed an illegal personal search...which could be construed as a sexual assault. Attempted larceny by RICO-like organized behavior regarding the vehicle seizure.

Actually, there is a TON of RICO behavior here...since this approach to damnable policing procedure has been taught nationally.

I'd say you should find an attorney, and talk with the Police Commission as soon as you can.

Cheers, Gwenivere, chin up.

One more reason to have personal video cameras surveilling your vehicle while in motion...gotta cover your own butt against illegal behavior of those who are suppposed to be the first reach of the justice system. It really is Just Us, though, isn't it...and we aren't the Us.

That's a terrible story, I had something similar to me a couple of years ago. You mentioned you were near 8 mile. I'm assuming you were in the John R / I-75 area. The police rolling through there are pretty heavy duty Could you be a little more specific about where this happened?

What was the bottom line of the complaint that is now going to have to be researched and answered? The people in a late-model cadillac parked outside a house in a admitted drug/prostitution area and picked up a guy. All three looked "out of place." Cops stopped and treated the three "disrespectfully" and "aggressively before they proved that the the three were on legitimate business. Then they didn't apologize for mistaking the trio for the typical suburban drug buyers.

At the Border, on different ocassions over the last few years I have had search dogs in my car, my cell phone taken away, my handbag searched, my car searched, my recent actions questioned. I am told these are random searches and par for the course for frequent border crossers.

I imagine that aggressive police stops [[which aggressiveness might save their lives) is par for the course in drug and prostitution infested neighborhoods. But how were you hurt - except your dignity?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I imagine that aggressive police stops [[which aggressiveness might save their lives) is par for the course in drug and prostitution infested neighborhoods.
    But this should never be done. It's not illegal to be on a public street. Unless you're seen actually committing a crime, they have no reason to contact you at all, let alone interrogate or search.

detroitjim Guest

I pulled up in front of my boyfriend's house A block away, we see a black and gold squad car

pull up in front of a house..After a few minutes, the cops get back into the car.

With them out of sight and mind, my guy got in and we pulled off

I ushered them forward even though they had the yield,
    These are some of the key points of YOUR account that made you look suspicious .

Iffens you where there to make a drug buy ,don't you think that the person that went up to the house ,would wait until the poe-leece gone from down the street?
    They had the yield, you waved them through. Exactly what some do in order to make it easier to flee and elude ." Good ! they ain't behinds me no more"

YOU came into the DMZ and and expected to be treated as though it's not a free fire zone.

OH WOW!, now you not considering buy within the city limits because of this experience. [[besides,chickens don't last long when predators are in the coop,)
    Everyone here is heartbroken!

The style of policing YOU helped subject yourself to, is exactly what we need here.[[at least for now)

Sure a small percentage of folks don't deserve that treatment.[[you included), but the overwhelming majority DO. Back in the day the big four stopped a lot of people I knew including me. We were inconvenienced for a short time ,then left to go on our our bindess. Those who decided to be a bit brassy to them went home with a few lumps on their domes. Nobody cried and whined .It was all chalked up to life experience.

Helping to stifle pro-active policing in Detroit is exactly what law abiding citizens don't need. These officers are most likely some of the few, who still have a bit of fight left in them to help try and save this community.

She didn't stop when they signaled, but kept going to the next intersection. I realize that she didn't understand [[I wouldn't either) but that's why they could interrogate her.

I'm pretty sure that any regulation that the police officer would have "to see" someone committing a crime is the very reason so many Detroiters are always complaining that the police "don't do anything" when residents know very well a crime has been committed or suspicious behavior is reported. Following your reasoning, if the police officer didn't actually see it happening, then nothing can be done.
    So what do you want? I want more agressive policing.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    Helping to stifle pro-active policing in Detroit is exactly what law abiding citizens don't need. These officers are most likely some of the few, who still have a bit of fight left in them to help try and save this community.
    Law abiding citizens don't need to be abused and assaulted. Walking up to a house or getting in or out of a car are not criminal acts.

These should be 'EX-' thugs with badges and guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    You have these two on illegal search, at the very least. They went into your vehicle without clear reason, and even performed an illegal personal search..
    That pretty much sums up what created the resentment that largely triggered the 1967 riot. 1967 was not a race riot; it was a rebellion against police excess. In those days such behavior was almost exclusively targeted against African-American and other minority citizens. All my AA friends had experienced similar humiliations at one time or another.

Police officers have a very difficult, thankless and dangerous task. I think most of us accept that and support them. The idea that they are now being 'rewarded' with pay cuts and layoffs has to be rankling. But rogue shameful behavior like this is unacceptable, undermines their support and ultimately endangers other officers as it did in 1967.

Following your reasoning, if the police officer didn't actually see it happening, then nothing can be done.
    Exactly correct. Especially since no crime occurred.

You don't have to immediately jump to the curb, stop and submit to abuse. You are permitted to pull to a safe location within a reasonable distance.

So what do you want? I want more agressive policing.
    I want a good quality of life. Crime detracts from my quality of life, and so does being harassed by the cops for no reason. I don't want either of these things.

detroitjim Guest

Law abiding citizens don't need to be abused and assaulted.
    Suspicious folks bring it on themselves.

I suppose that you would rather have a real criminal accost you and take your shit?

Maybe clock you upside your hey-add or bust a cap in you?

Detroiters would do well to note that gang squads end up emulating the very gangs they say they are policing, as was the case with STRESS, as was the case with NYPD's Street Crimes Unit, both of which went even beyond typical gang squads in that they wore civilian clothes and did not identify themselves as police. We should never go back to this.

And I am appalled to read that anybody here blames a member of the public for this, as this is just piss-poor police work.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjim View Post
    Suspicious folks bring it on themselves.

I suppose that you would rather have a real criminal accost you and take your shit?

Maybe clock you upside your hey-add or bust a cap in you?
    What's the difference between a criminal "accosting you and taking your shit" and the police doing it? It's not acceptable at all, regardless of who does it.

detroitjim Guest

I want a good quality of life. Crime detracts from my quality of life, and so does being harassed by the cops for no reason.
    Its all a balance! Right now tipped in the criminals favor. Once it gets back to equilibrium or in law enforcements favor . The Poe-poe can go back to giving out gift certificates to Red Lobster for "proper use of a turn signal"

detroitjim Guest

What's the difference
    The police didn't take anything from her.

Right. The police didn't take anything from her. All they did was illegally detain her and her companion, illegally search their car, threaten and bully them and then refuse to give their name or badge number. S'all cool ...

I would consider legal action. The police need just cause to search a vehicle or a person.

Mere presence of a given skin color in a high crime neighborhood isn't just cause. It's profiling, and illegal.

detroitjim Guest

S'all cool
    It's called "probable cause"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast