Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Does anyone remember this building or area? Van Dyke and East Jefferson

This little concrete building is on Van Dyke and East Jefferson. It's pretty well kept but has been empty for at least 10 years. Anyone know what type of business this was?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

My guess would be a ladies boutique or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    My guess would be a ladies boutique or something like that.
    That would be my guess as well...

I dunno, seems like every store that gets vacated in Detroit turns in to a wig shop, sooner or later.

The last time this building was open it was a hair salon. It's a nice building in a good location. It is next to the Van Dyke Place Restaurant. When the restaurant was open the building was used by valet staff. There is a parking structure around the corner or Jefferson which was used to park cars for people in the restaurant and the nighclub [[The Nile) that was between the garage and the florist that was on the corner. All of which now are closed. It would make a nice little coffee shop similar to Paris Cafe which was in Lafayette Park.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; December-05-11 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    The last time this building was open it was a hair salon. It's a nice building in a good location. It is next to the Van Dyke Place Restaurant. When the restaurant was open the building was used by valet staff. There is a parking structure around the corner or Jefferson which was used to park cars for people in the restaurant and the nighclub [[The Nile) that was between the garage and the florist that was on the corner. All of which now are closed. It would make a nice little coffee shop similar to Paris Cafe which was in Lafayette Park.
    Thank you!!!

There was once a night club called "The Lady Lounge" on that corner next to the florist shop. There were nice shops near the corner of VanDyke and Jefferson years ago.

Back in the late '70s is was a gay disco called 'My Fair Lady'. Didn't last very long though.

Didn't the disco become a club that a young Jennifer Granholm protested at when her friends Butch Hollowell and Desiree Cooper were refused entry into?