Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit Mansions Lost and Found

An article from a paper called the examiner. The links are clickable. I added a link to the story at the end which is also clickable.

There are several well known mansions in Detroit and the Detroit area. The wealthy in the early 1900s were typically automotive tycoons and investors. The most notable are the Henry Ford Estate, Edsel and Eleanor Ford House, Meadow Brook Hall, and the Fisher Mansion. One of the lesser known, but just as grand, mansions is the Walter Owens Briggs home. Briggs was a major manufacturer of auto bodies, and after the Depression plumbing equipment, until 1997 when the company sold. The Nels Michelson residence was built by lumber entrepreneurs, the Michelson Land and Home Company, which eventually owned and developed the area of Woodward which is now Ferndale. The home had several different owners, one of which was Berry Gordy.The S.S. Kresge home will bring nostalgic memories for the name alone to Detroiters. He built his home in the Boston-Edison district, and contrary to the five-and-dime frugality of the stores, the home is impressive even for the neighborhood. The name James Scott is probably unknown to most. However, his money funded the design and building of the Scott Fountain on Belle Isle- also considered one of the top 25 most beautiful fountains in the United States. James Scott was not a beloved citizen of the city during his life, and the fountain did not come without controversy. However, the results were worth it.The B.Siegel Company, owned by Benjamin Siegel, operated in the city of Detroit until 1981. The Benjamin Siegel home in the Boston Edison neighborhood was designed by Albert Kahn for the upscale clothier. The Kresge home is located next door. It is noted that Benjamin Siegel was not related to the infamous Bugsy Siegel of the same time frame. The William Livingstone residence is locally famous in the preservation circles. William Livingstone was a major player in the shipping and transportation industries. This home was designed by Albert Kahn in the Brush Park neighborhood. It was moved from its original location a short distance by preservationists. The are many grand estates in the Brush Park and Boston-Edison neighborhoods, as well as other areas in Detroit. Some have fallen into ruin and some have been beautifully restored and maintained for the public or private residence. Exploration of these magnificent homes can offer a history lesson on Detroit.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Detroit mansions lost and found - Detroit Architecture & Design | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/architecture...#ixzz1ff4OOEwR
    http://www.examiner.com/architecture...lost-and-found

Walter Briggs [[and his son, Spike) owned the Detroit Tigers for a number of years. Old Tiger Stadium was named Briggs Stadium while they owned it.

A rather simplistic and arrogant view, assuming that nobody knows what and where the homes are. I am disappointed the author could have done a little more research and writen about places that are really not that well known.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    A rather simplistic and arrogant view, assuming that nobody knows what and where the homes are. I am disappointed the author could have done a little more research and writen about places that are really not that well known.
    Totally agreed! This is the most basic write-up of historic homes in Detroit ever.

The mansions pictured have so much more character than suburban mansions.

Thx for the link Bill07073.

This is such a basic write up that it could have been by an eight grader with a computer. This is a non story-thread.

I don't know why some of you are dissing the author of this piece.... I bet 99% of the folks who read the Examiner haven't a clue as to the whereabouts [[or in many cases the existence) of these homes... and that would included folks in metro Detroit. If you want major details on large numbers of local mansions, go buy an Arcadia book.

This isn't the National Trust Magazine, nor Theatre Historical Society's Marquee magazine... it's merely a generic tabloid on a national level.

I'm sure that contributors to this site probably have parameters that they have to deal with, such as number of words, and perhaps number of allowable images.

If there's not enough info here for your tastes... Google is your friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I don't know why some of you are dissing the author of this piece.... I bet 99% of the folks who read the Examiner haven't a clue as to the whereabouts [[or in many cases the existence) of these homes... and that would included folks in metro Detroit. If you want major details on large numbers of local mansions, go buy an Arcadia book.

This isn't the National Trust Magazine, nor Theatre Historical Society's Marquee magazine... it's merely a generic tabloid on a national level.

I'm sure that contributors to this site probably have parameters that they have to deal with, such as number of words, and perhaps number of allowable images.

If there's not enough info here for your tastes... Google is your friend...
    I doubt its 99% of the publication's readers are that unaware! Even the both Detroit fish wrappers have done better articles over the years on pretty much the same subject. Just about everyone I know around the city is at least aware of where the dwellings are and just about every long time resident knows where the Scott Fountain is. A former neighbor of mine is about as clueless as it gets and she knows where Boston-Edison is. Unfortunately just like that author you sell the residents of the metro area short they know more than you think!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-05-11 at 10:37 PM.

LOL... I just asked 5 people at the 7-Eleven if they ever heard of Boston-Edison... and they all thought it was a New England utility.

Perhaps among the downtown and midtown wine and cheese and preservation crowd [[and no insult intended to any of them, since I know many of them)... but they may know, but if you ask the average joe on the street in the city or suburbs, they'll likely be clueless.... after all not everyone is attune to historic preservation. And even among the Enquirer's readers [[with all the general topics they discuss)... I bet a small minority knew about those mansions.

And 99% may be high... but I bet that over 80% of all Americans are clueless about historic preservation at all. The National Trust For Historic Preservation's magazine only has a circulation of less than 700,000 for a reason... the majority of American's aren't as in tune with saving old preservation worthy buildings as you or your circle of acquaintances. And I'm not trying to come off as disrespectful [[although it may sound that way).

Since I live in SCS, over the years I've asked sooooo many people about the Edsel & Eleanor Ford Estate... some [[but not all) know that some of the Fords lived there, but almost all are clueless about what's behind the gatehouse [[most I've talked to think the gatehouse is the mansion).

Historic preservationists are truly a minority. Otherwise why is everything such an uphill battle, even among monied people for saving old structures. Historic preservation is a relatively new way of thinking [[in general)... and it really didn't start taking root until circa 1970.

Prior to that saving old buildings wasn't even an afterthought. Just look at the destruction of Old City Hall in 1961... razed... or the 1960-61 removal of the exotic old Fisher Theatre. When the Nederlanders wanted to redevelop the theatre for Broadway shows, reuse of the old building wasn't even a consideration!

So when it comes to historic preservation, we are the Choir... and the number of us to preach to... is still pretty small...

Anyway... before I went off on that tangent... my whole point is that you could pick any article on the Enquirer site, and say... "gee they could have said more about any of the topics in the Enquirer"... but it's a NATIONAL not a local publication.... so of course the local rags are going to have more details about historic preservation articles, since it's local!
    Last edited by Gistok; December-05-11 at 11:27 PM.

Watch commercials and movies and notice how many restored and vintage homes are used in the back ground , there are more people that are into preservation that care to admit it they are just not so vocal . I would like to buy an old mansion so I can gut it and make it look like a new house.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Watch commercials and movies and notice how many restored and vintage homes are used in the back ground , there are more people that are into preservation that care to admit it they are just not so vocal . I would like to buy an old mansion so I can gut it and make it look like a new house.
    Actually, you bring up a good point.... ever notice how few small houses or architecturally boring houses are ever used in [[non-horror) movies or commercials.... lets see there was the TV show Roseanne..... and.... [[drawing a blank).... I'm sure everybody wouldn't mind living in [[Alfred Hitchcock's movie "Rebecca") Manderley or the Witches of Eastwick, or a million other movies... Hollywood and Madison Ave. don't do "boring" very well....
    Last edited by Gistok; December-05-11 at 11:39 PM.

I was at the Cadieux Cafe[[not your downtown/midtown crowd) this evening and asked the same question especially to the younger patrons and suprisingly almost everyone knew where the areas in question are. And when did historic preservation come into this, its about local knowledge. Although through the efforts of those before us we do have some of our priceless heritage saved to have this discussion. As for that particular 7-Eleven I doubt most of the patrons could not find their way back to their cars let alone make their way past 9 Mile.

I was at the Cadieux Cafe[[not your downtown/midtown crowd) this evening and asked the same question especially to the younger patrons and suprisingly almost everyone knew where the areas in question are. And when did historic preservation come into this, its about local knowledge. Although through the efforts of those before us we do have some of our priceless heritage saved to have this discussion. As for that particular 7-Eleven I doubt most of the patrons could not find their way back to their cars let alone make their way past 9 Mile.
    Perhaps you should have also stopped at one of the 4 gas stations on the corner of Cadieux and Harper... they would likely have the same reaction as the 7-Eleven crowd.

Perhaps you should have also stopped at one of the 4 gas stations on the corner of Cadieux and Harper... they would likely have the same reaction as the 7-Eleven crowd.
    I never use the Cadieux entrance/exit either I use 7 Mile if I am going east and the Whittier entrance if I am going west so I will leave that job up to you if you are interested.

I never use the Cadieux entrance/exit either I use 7 Mile if I am going east and the Whittier entrance if I am going west so I will leave that job up to you if you are interested.
    It's rather pointless argument anyway.... I give tours of Detroit, either via bus tours, or Preservation Wayne walking tours, so my perspectives are based on the folks I've dealt with [[metro Detroit, outstate, US/Canada and from Europe)... your perspective is based on who you've dealt with.
    Last edited by Gistok; December-06-11 at 02:10 AM.

It's rather pointless argument anyway.... I give tours of Detroit, either via bus tours, or Preservation Wayne walking tours, so my perspectives are based on the folks I've dealt with [[metro Detroit, outstate, US/Canada and from Europe)... your perspective is based on who you've dealt with.
    Yes it is rather pointless you seem to be that snob preservationist who knows more than they actually do. I have found more information on the city from its residents than most convention research sites. As for tours I have read many of your notes here and I could give you a real tour of the city not just the preprogrammed tours offered by the local groups, and I also have a worldwide following who enjoy my personalized tours of the city.

p69-

It is nice you have such a high opinion of yourself and your encyclopedic knowledge of the city and its many charms. Thank you for letting us know.

I'm sure the public will line up for tickets to your outstanding tours.

Please let us know when those tickets go on sale; I'm confident Gistok will be first in line.

Yes it is rather pointless you seem to be that snob preservationist who knows more than they actually do. I have found more information on the city from its residents than most convention research sites. As for tours I have read many of your notes here and I could give you a real tour of the city not just the preprogrammed tours offered by the local groups, and I also have a worldwide following who enjoy my personalized tours of the city.
    Soooo... you're the guy that gives some publicized tours of Detroit.... you're very highly regarded, I'm sure... I hear your giving an "old German Clubs of Detroit" tour. But do be tolerant of elderly suburban Detroit Germans going on your tour... they [[like the 7-Eleven crowd) won't know what "Boston-Edison" is...
    Last edited by Gistok; December-06-11 at 12:27 PM.

Soooo... you're the guy that gives some publicized tours of Detroit.... you're very highly regarded, I'm sure... I hear your giving an "old German Clubs of Detroit" tour. But do be tolerant of elderly suburban Detroit Germans going on your tour... they [[like the 7-Eleven crowd) won't know what "Boston-Edison" is...
    No but the Little Cafe was one of my favorite places to eat back in the day. While my tours on not publicized they routinely include family members of Louis Kamper, Robert Derrick, C. Howard Crane, and Henry Meier, as well as family members of the homes as part of the tour. I can play one up with you all day if you want since you want to always have the last word!

I found this to be interesting: Is this still standing?
    http://www2.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=7901
    Name:  BostonEdisonRuin2.jpg
Views: 4460
Size:  30.4 KB
    Last edited by EZZ; December-06-11 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Wondered if still standing

Quote Originally Posted by EZZ View Post
    I found this to be interesting: Is this still standing?
    http://www2.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=7901
    Name:  BostonEdisonRuin2.jpg
Views: 4460
Size:  30.4 KB
    Google Maps shows a front loader there.

MMM mmmmmmmm.

Another good ol' fashioned Detroit historical pissing contest.

Stay klassy.

Sometimes the best trip down memory lane involves the estates that no longer standing.

http://www.gphistorical.org/autobarons/dodge/dodge2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    MMM mmmmmmmm.

Another good ol' fashioned Detroit historical pissing contest.

Stay klassy.

Sometimes the best trip down memory lane involves the estates that no longer standing.

http://www.gphistorical.org/autobarons/dodge/dodge2.htm
    Fantastic link one should also look at the pics of the Whitney mansion on the site too.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    MMM mmmmmmmm.

TK, one of the saddest events in tearing down old Grosse Poine mansions was the loss of the Whitcombe Mansion where that Spanish "villa" now sits on Lakeshore Dr., just east of Moross. Whereas most estates were torn down to be subdivided, that one only was shorn of its' leftmost acreage, and it was a pity that the mansion was torn down for a modern villa with nearly as much acreage. I have an acquaintance who is friends with the current residents, and she keeps her flowers there over the winter in the old greenhouse.
    http://www.gphistorical.org/whitcomb/whitcomb01.html

Like Rose Terrace, the Chapin, MacAuley and Glancy estates, it was a sad loss,

I'm glad to see that the trust that owns the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House was given ownership last year of Henry Ford's Fair Lane mansion and at least some of the grounds. The GP Ford House folks have done an outstanding job on maintaining that estate, even though they lost several hundred Ash trees in recent years, and will likely do a world class job on restoring and hopefully refurnishing the Fair Lane property.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast