Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Building at 20th St & Michigan, I-96/I-75 interchange

There is an abandoned building just off 75/96, it is multi-storey, silver with dark windows [[those that remain) and somewhat modern - who occupied that building? I seem to recall some lettering visible from the freeway but it is long gone.

Thanks!

That's the former Southwest Detroit Hospital.

http://detroit1701.org/Southwest%20D...0Hospital.html

Thanks for the link EastsideAl. These are very interesting historical parentheses in Detroit's history. It shows how much determination in the face of evil and thoughtlessness, african americans had to have in order to thrive.

Thanks! I think it used to have big lettering the on the freeway side, and I kept trying to visualize that when I drive by. Now I know.

I'm having a hard time remembering the details, but there was something hinky about the final days of the place, one of those deals where the adminstration piled huge debts on the place, drew huge salaries and bailed, for some reason I am thinking those Blackwell crooks were involved,

I do remember they held a prayer-in at the hospital just before bankruptcy, iirc 25 people showed up to hug the building. I got the feeling it was one of those Detroit-style black-on-black crimes.
    Last edited by gnome; December-05-11 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I'm having a hard time remembering the details, but there was something hinky about the final days of the place, one of those deals where the adminstration piled huge debts on the place, drew huge salaries and bailed, for some reason I am thinking those Blackwell crooks were involved,

I do remember they held a prayer-in at the hospital just before bankruptcy, iirc 25 people showed up to hug the building. I got the feeling it was one of those Detroit-style black-on-black crimes.

Explain....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Explain....
    Sorry DS, I didn't see your question. To be completely honest I should not have posted on this thread because my memory is just too hazy on all the particulars. And I should have been more cautious in my characterization of a certain family.

Lord knows it could have been the Stallworths or maybe Lonnie Bates or Basel Brown or one of those Lamar Lemmons guys. Heck maybe it was all of them.

Like I said though, my memory is skipping a beat on the down fall of S.H.

Thanks for all the info, now that I know the name of the building, I can visualize it now from the freeway side. It's a shame that it had to close, and that it is now empty. It was such a new building to begin with, with a lot of life left.