Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Troy mayor on defensive over gay slur

This new Mayor McCheeze is one klassy broad, she is. See, you're not the only one that can throw around slurs and pejoratives, mayor.

Troy mayor on defensive over gay slur

by Bill Lainter | Detroit Free Press

December 3, 2011

Troy's new mayor, Janice Daniels -- a longtime activist in Michigan's tea party movement -- went on the defensive Friday, less than three weeks after being sworn into office, when Internet users found what many called a gay slur on her Facebook page.

In a post dated June 25, Daniels shared with her Facebook followers the line: "I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there." Daniels' post came a day after New York legislators voted to allow gay marriage in the state.

On Friday evening, Daniels said her Facebook posting "may not have been the most appropriate language."

"But I was not even considering running for mayor at that time. I was speaking for myself," she said. "It's my personal belief that marriage is between one man and one woman. I love people, but I want to acknowledge my First Amendment right to speak freely. I know that as mayor, I represent all of the people in this city."

She's not even denying it. Homophobe much, Ms. Daniels? You get that, Troy? She can use slurs all she wants in her private life, but you can expect her to represent all of you as mayor. lol What a f%cking joke. If you believe that, I got a bridge down by Corktown I'd like to sell you...

I don't know, to me, Facebook isn't the site that people should look to to hold an official accountable. Especially when it's supposed to be personal. But then I guess that falls into the public-private gray area.

I also don't feel like it's terribly big news because it's Troy. It's almost sort of expected that there's someone whose going to say something a conservative would say. I'm sort of meh about the story. Nonetheless, that doesn't make the slur any less wrong.

I'm not sure you realize how dismissive you are being about this. "Well, this is Troy we're talking about, and it was on her facebook page, and..."

A few things, anything you put on the internet, unless set to private, is public and should be assumed as such. Even when set to private, the fact is that the woman is a bigot. She very well still may have won the race, but I can assure you that a lot of people that voted for her wouldn't if they knew the way she speaks about people in what she assumed as private thought.

I love how when these folks get caught they totally distract by changing the subject. This isn't about a First Amendment right, this is about being held to account in the court of public opinion about the things you say and do. This stuff is no more right done in what people assume is private than it would be if done out in public. Derogatorily calling people "queers" is not "an opinion", as she seems to be oddly/illogically painting it; it's a slur, plain and simple.

She doesn't have to apologize, or resign or anything. She just needs to know that everyone knows who she really is, and that's a dehumanizing bigot among many other things, apparently. If you're gay in Troy, you don't matter to her administration, or, you only matter when you're to be kicked around as some kind of cultural and political football.

"I hadn't even thought of running for mayor." Are you effing kidding me? We don't get a "Well, I've changed and don't believe in using that type of vile language". All we get is her doing what these holier-than-though type of people do, and that's almost trying to flip it around that she's the victim in all of this.

You know, Troy has the image as a corporate community in which to do good business. I wonder how long they are going to put up with her shaningans? They usually tolerate the antics of social conservatives so long as they are getting theirs', but they'll only do it for so long. When her antics start cutting into their bottom line and their ability to recruit, she's done; they'll cut her loose. What they care about is money, not who their employees sleep with after work.

This isn't about whether you're shocked. This is about fleshing out the full character of Mayor Daniels. This is about a self-indentified Christian woman who goes to church on Sunday and will smile in your face, but who apparently has no qualms calling you a "queer" in private, and this is the freakin' mayor of a wealthy, corporate city of 80,000, not some podunk village in Kalkaska County.
    Last edited by Dexlin; December-03-11 at 04:29 AM.

If every 'thought' or statement made privately where recorded and out for public display would anyone be 100% perfect 100% of the time? She was careless and I doubt that comment is 'relegated' only to the conservative; people [[dems and liberals included) put on all kinds of faces for the public, touting the party line, appropriately tolerant sometimes concealing their real thoughts....

Bottom line: If a politician and your gonna have a Facebook or twitter where you thoughts are out there as a form of public journal you have to pay the price.... too bad it's almost obligatory to have a facebook page, personally I refuse to have one, or if I did I'd have it set to private [[as much as that stands or means anything on the web).
    Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I don't know, to me, Facebook isn't the site that people should look to to hold an official accountable. Especially when it's supposed to be personal. But then I guess that falls into the public-private gray area.

I also don't feel like it's terribly big news because it's Troy. It's almost sort of expected that there's someone whose going to say something a conservative would say. I'm sort of meh about the story. Nonetheless, that doesn't make the slur any less wrong.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-03-11 at 06:26 AM.

On Friday evening, Daniels said her Facebook posting "may not have been the most appropriate language."
    "But I was not even considering running for mayor at that time. I was speaking for myself," she said.
    As with all politicians involved with the welfare of their constituents, they backpedal at the first glimpse of their true selves.

Isn't she a "Tea Party" candidate? This doesn't surprise me, because I see intolerance and bigotry seem to be a common theme of many of these right-wingers that are all about "freedom", but when it comes to freedom for homosexuals, they don't seem to love the freedom idea as much.

lilpup Guest

not an overwhelming amount of intelligence in Troy - they even voted to de-fund their public library [[fortunately some interested people got out and managed to reverse that decision)

the broad probably forgot that the general public, not just her supporters, can see her Facebook page
    Last edited by lilpup; December-03-11 at 07:56 AM.

In general the Tea Party does not draw the sharpest knives in the drawer for members. I would have been more shocked by a well thought out argument based on fact.

She's also a Realtor: http://www.century21.com/real-estate...niels-10903394

Perhaps if you know a nice lesbian couple -- long-term relationship, one of them about to become pregnant by a gay male friend, looking for a 4-bedroom house in Troy near good schools -- you might refer them to her.

Pretty stupid, and she'll be a one-termer or less if that's how she rolls re. human equality.

Troy is a conservative town in terms of economics, but its hardly some right wing social hotbed. She's going to be recalled if she parrots the Tea Party line on social issues.

Let's see, she's overweight, dressed like she came out of 1982, and surprise surprise...she's a conservative Christian who thinks it's okay to make a ludicrous statement like that, shortly before running for mayor! Then gets defensive about it!!!

This is exactly the type of small town crap that makes intelligent Michigan people flee for greener grasses.

Gee, I wonder how see feels about Afro-Americans, Latinos and such?

She's a bigot who doesn't even know enough to hide it.

It's funny how a lot of people are having a hard time adjusting to modern technology. I'm sure she would never say something like this in a crowded restaurant or a shopping mall. Some people act like posting one their FB page is like talking to someone on the phone.

Sinead O'connor got in trouble a few weeks ago for something she posted about the pope on her twitter page. Her defense was that it was a joke between her and a friend and she doesn't force people to follow her on twitter. I guess she forgot that there are many ways to communicate in private?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    In general the Tea Party does not draw the sharpest knives in the drawer for members. I would have been more shocked by a well thought out argument based on fact.
    True, and well put.

Think she is on the DL herself?

well, glad I don't live in Troy.. but hey, detroit has it's own problems..

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post

Sinead O'connor got in trouble a few weeks ago for something she posted about the pope on her twitter page. Her defense was that it was a joke between her and a friend and she doesn't force people to follow her on twitter. I guess she forgot that there are many ways to communicate in private?
    What's wrong with bashing the pope? It's fun to poke fun at that Nazi.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Isn't she a "Tea Party" candidate? This doesn't surprise me, because I see intolerance and bigotry seem to be a common theme of many of these right-wingers that are all about "freedom", but when it comes to freedom for homosexuals, they don't seem to love the freedom idea as much.
    and the left only believes in freedom when it comes to homosexuality and abortion....... other than that people are wards of the state.....

Hah! No you did not go there... LOL! IMO there's indeed a great deal of intolerance and bigotry on both the far left and the far right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    and the left only believes in freedom when it comes to homosexuality and abortion....... other than that people are wards of the state.....

Protesters Call for Troy Mayor's Resignation

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/protesters-call-for-troy-mayor%27s-resignation

My goodness there were loads and loads of angry people at the meeting, my wife and I were laughing our butts off at Daniels.

I don't know if she needs to resign, but I certainly would never vote for a hate-mongering right winger.

Let this be a lesson to communities that think voting in these tea-baggers are a good idea. Warren's lead tea-bagger, Thomas Kuettner is an organized, full-blown neo-nazi racist.

I don't know if Janice Daniels is a racist as well, but as someone who hates based on sexual orientation it wouldn't surprise me. It's one thing to state you're against gay marriage, but to use hate-speech on FACEBOOK, that's both amoral and dumb.

Why do these people feel the need to hate, can't they just watch after themselves and not be concerned with the personal, private choices of others?

I don't think she needs to resign, but I do think she's an idiot and hope she'll be recalled or voted out.

She's burnt toast! It will not be enough for her to apologize for the slur.

It is requested by some that she also change her opinion and accept [[tolerate?) same sex marriage.

So far she's not willing to do that. Perhaps with enough pressure she will accept and endorse such unions?
    Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    My goodness there were loads and loads of angry people at the meeting, my wife and I were laughing our butts off at Daniels....
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-06-11 at 09:04 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast