Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Just out of curiosity....

With as much as zI have heard about the M1 Rail line possibly begining construction later this year and track configurations and all, I have often wondered this:

How are they going to manage to run rail around CMart? From what I read those trains have a very wide turning radius so I really can't see them being run around that area....

If your talking about Campus Martius, they have a couple of plans, one is to run it down Washington Blvd.

That would make a scary amount of sense...placing people near the Rosa Parks transit center.

Can't possibly be true.

crawford Guest

We already had trolleys on Washington Blvd., and no, it didn't work.

And why would it make sense to link it with a D-DOT terminal? Two completely different ridership markets. If the goal is to give D-DOT riders frequent transit service up Woodward, then we already have that covered.

They better think this route through and not rush some slapdash job.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    We already had trolleys on Washington Blvd., and no, it didn't work.
    What about it didn't work? What, in your mind, was it supposed to do that it didn't do?

And why would it make sense to link it with a D-DOT terminal? Two completely different ridership markets. If the goal is to give D-DOT riders frequent transit service up Woodward, then we already have that covered.
    What are the "completely different ridership markets?" There aren't that many people who ride transit in this town. Rail might attract more of them [[since rail tends to be faster, more comfortable, and have fewer negative associations in people's minds), but why wouldn't bus riders want to ride the rail? And why wouldn't someone want to ride, say, the Gratiot bus downtown and then catch the rail up to the Boulevard? Or vice versa?
    They better think this route through and not rush some slapdash job.
    I'm with you there.

plans are to are going to run a smaller loop downtown couterclockwise to the people mover.

I was going to say what others have already said. I don't know what's directly under Woodward, and it would never happen due to cost anyway, but I have envisioned the trains going under Woodward for the downtown portion of the route. That way, the trains wouldn't get stuck in traffic. And years into the future, I could see a hub under Campus Martius where the light rail and BRT vehicles could stop downtown [[Woodward, Gratiot, Grand River, Michigan Avenue, Jefferson).