Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Removal of outdated streetlights Downtown.

I saw yesterday that those ugly, outdated streetlights by Grand Circus Park's PM stop were being removed yesterday, along with the ones by the Broderick Tower as well. Hopefully, they are planning to put some nice, modern replacements in.

Name:  GCP streetlights.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  29.9 KB Grand Circus Park People Mover Station

Ha, I generally like the old ones best. I'd rather have one of those pineapple-topped 19th century ones than a cobrahead.

Watch out! It's probably DTE taking em back with the looming black cloud situation with the EFM and all. heh.

http://blog.thedetroithub.com/2011/1...s-lighting-up/

Or its this. DDP is adding over 1,000 new led lights downtown. Lets find the facts before we speculate.

I saw a bunch of them in a City pickup. Those are really ugly globe lights. Glad to see them gone.

Glad to see the last of the old piss-yellow globes and rust-brown posts finally departing the Woodward streetscape......I think not matter what replaces them it will surely be an improvement!!

I don't understand why they need to replace the whole pole. Im sure they can retrofit those lights for a fraction of the cost.

Its just like a few years ago they replaced all the antique lights on Van Dyke with wooden poles because of issues with the underground wiring. Why couldn't they leave the poles up and just replace the lights and run wiring over head?

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    I don't understand why they need to replace the whole pole. Im sure they can retrofit those lights for a fraction of the cost.

Its just like a few years ago they replaced all the antique lights on Van Dyke with wooden poles because of issues with the underground wiring. Why couldn't they leave the poles up and just replace the lights and run wiring over head?
    I was thinking the same thing in 2010 when they replaced the lighting along I-94 in Macomb County.... not only the lights, but the poles, and also the location along the median barriers where the poles were located... There may have been a logical explanation... but it appeared like overkill....

I saw crews replacing the lights downtown today! Around Grand Cirucs Park, the lights look very similar to the current new ones in Capitol Park. Name:  CapitolPark.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  36.2 KB