Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Thoughts on philandering politicians

Cain is the latest one, but before him came Gingrich and Clinton and Wilbur Mills and Gary Hart and on and on and on.

The inability to keep one's pants zipped isn't a partisan issue, and it isn't a trait to be proud of. But it makes me wonder about Americans and their politicians. Why do we think the way we do?

I am far more worried about a propensity to get our country unnecessarily involved in a war, an inability to deal with foreign policy, a lack of knowledge of economics or just plain inability to make it all work the way it is supposed to work than I am about carnal desires.

I want someone in charge who is the most capable person to do the job. I don't care who they're screwing, as long as it isn't the taxpayer. But it seems like many if not most of us view marital infidelity as making you unfit to hold high public office.

So what is it about those with wandering willys that repels so many voters? If you're otherwise well-qualified to do the job, why does adultery disqualify you?

Adultery shouldn't automatically disqualify a candidate. However, if a politician has a history and predilection of cheating on their spouse, it is reasonable to wonder if constituents have any more reason to trust this candidate than their spouse.

Cheating politicians is nothing anyone should ever be surprised about. It's as old as the hills and just as boring.

Understanding that people are human and will do things such as cheat on their spouse here's why I have a problem with what Cain did. First of all smart people know once they run for public office their lives becomes an open book and the skeletons start rolling out of the closet. Knowing that they should anticipate that their booty call from the past will start talking. He needed to figure out how he was going to get on top of that before it was ever made public, and if you know you can't spin it in such a way that it makes sense to potential voters you should never run for office.

And on the Dems side Edwards mistress made him basically lose his mind and his political career along with it.

As long as they want to barge into my bedroom, I'm going to have to hold them to standards -- like, um, not being a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    As long as they want to barge into my bedroom, I'm going to have to hold them to standards -- like, um, not being a hypocrite.

Well, if you won't vote for a candidate who isn't a hypocrit, guess you aren't voting

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Well, if you won't vote for a candidate who isn't a hypocrit, guess you aren't voting
    Ron Paul isn't a hypocrite. I haven't heard anything hypocritical about Dennis Kucinich either although he isn't running for anything. There must be a few others above reproach though the system discourages such behavior. Limiting your choices to Gingerich, Romney, and Obama would be a problem though if hypocrisy, or at least flip-flopping were an issue. Obama and Romney are clean with regard to the adultery issue though as far as we know.

In a perfect world, Ron Paul would win the presidency and appoint Dennis Kuchinich, as vice president. It would change our politics and our nation for the better, and quickly.

With no energy dept., who would regulate the nuclear power plants that people keep bringing up? Oh, that's right. They would police themselves because businesspeople are so honest and concerned about polluting the environment. Gag.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    In a perfect world, Ron Paul would win the presidency and appoint Dennis Kuchinich, as vice president. It would change our politics and our nation for the better, and quickly.
    Can I get a side of Bernie Sanders with that plz?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Adultery shouldn't automatically disqualify a candidate.
    unless they're spouting "family values"

elect more women - they don't whore around as much

Adultery shouldn't automatically disqualify a candidate. However, if a politician has a history and predilection of cheating on their spouse, it is reasonable to wonder if constituents have any more reason to trust this candidate than their spouse.
    Yes, it's the lying that's the problem, not their level of "carnal desire".

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Yea and in a perfect world I'd be a millionair with lots of hot chicks in a warm climate.....so both of us can keep dreaming.....cause its NEVER going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Yes, it's the lying that's the problem".
    BINGO!! Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post

elect more women - they don't whore around as much
    There is so much red meat to this statement that I don't know where to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post
    Cain is the latest one, but before him came Gingrich and Clinton and Wilbur Mills and Gary Hart and on and on and on.

The inability to keep one's pants zipped isn't a partisan issue, and it isn't a trait to be proud of. But it makes me wonder about Americans and their politicians. Why do we think the way we do?

I am far more worried about a propensity to get our country unnecessarily involved in a war, an inability to deal with foreign policy, a lack of knowledge of economics or just plain inability to make it all work the way it is supposed to work than I am about carnal desires.

I want someone in charge who is the most capable person to do the job. I don't care who they're screwing, as long as it isn't the taxpayer. But it seems like many if not most of us view marital infidelity as making you unfit to hold high public office.

So what is it about those with wandering willys that repels so many voters? If you're otherwise well-qualified to do the job, why does adultery disqualify you?
    Some people quietly and carefully celebrate a lifestyle free of sexual restrictions. Promiscuity is certainly not a phenomenon Americans can claim alone.

In general, I do care about people being hurt in such relationships. The spouse, children and even other family members. The anger, disease, shame and deceit, The lying is indicative of the character. The "What they don' know won't hurt them" mantra is deceptive and dishonest.

In the end, a politician is not automatically unfit for office due to a publicized history of marital infidelity. It does not help the politician either because voters will not forget about it.

With over 300 million people in America, there will be no unanimity about how to "make it all work the way it is supposed to".

Excellent point.