Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Man Says He Was Fired after Robbery at Family Dollar

A Detroit man is out of a job after being a victim of an armed robbery at a Family Dollar store in Detroit.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...it-20111201-ms

Well this shows how much corporate america cares about the safety of their customers and workers.

No loss here if that location closes. Detroit has too many of them anyway, all of which are trashy.

A friend of mine worked there and quit due to horrid management policies that put staff in harms way all of the time. There are alot of Family Dollars in the city indeed. Three on Woodward within 4 miles. Of this type of store FD are robbed the most...

I like the Dollar General on Woodward but behind all the robberies in general I am reconsidering my decision to continue to use the ones in the city due to the higher risk of robbery.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-02-11 at 09:18 AM.

Cobb said he worked for two weeks following the robbery and then was told he was going to be fired.
    damn, being robbed is traumatizing for a lot of people. thats tough.

Cobb is a U.S Navy and Army Reserve veteran. He has three children, and his wife goes to school and works a part-time job.
    well with this kind of background hopefully some employer hires this guy. i've seen a lot of stories about companies firing employees that are victims of armed robbery. seems to be standard operating procedure. theres various reasoning about that. dunno if any of it makes sense.

don't forget "Dead Peasant Insurance"-if you try to save your life, y'know-NOT get marched into the walk-in freezer, lay down, whatever-you screw up their profit from your death & thus must be fired:
    http://www.fogcityjournal.com/wordpr...ance-policies/

If this store is getting robbed frequently I imagine that management is concerned about an inside job. Someone could load up their drawer and then go splitzies with someone who robs the store. It would be interesting to find out how much money was taken.

Interesting that this guy talks about not seeing a written policy, but then talks about the long line and waiting until he made his money drop.

I think I am done with FD! Their policies stink and apparently they're more for 'bottom-line' than customers or their employees. They seem to refuse to hire armed security guards which at least some CVS stores in the city do. So why should I go in there and provide them revenue and risk my safety. Nope. No thank you.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-13-11 at 11:46 AM.

I feel bad for the employee. If what he said was true, and they didn't have a pre-defined drop policy, then that really stinks. It's hard to comply with an unstated policy.

Back in high school I rang register for K-Mart and Walmart, and neither store had a drop policy that was communicated to me. I was never robbed, but I was fast-changed once out of $50.

As to people saying that they've seen this a lot lately where victims are fired, other stories I heard were the result of the person using a firearm to defend themselves. It's your right to have a firearm, but as a private property owners employers are well within their rights to say that employees may not have firearms. My workplace [[I work in an office) does not permit us to have firearms.

The best thing that Family Dollar could do is to have a well defined and communicated policy about dropping money that is checked for compliance more than just during robberies.

Like others said, there can be "inside job" motivations to have a lot of money in your register. However, I think it would be unfair to accuse this person of this with the zero proof that we have.

The manager should be fired for not making the employee aware of the acceptable amount of cash allowed in the drawer.

When good companies change or introduce policies, employees must read and sign, so no one can be terminated for unfair reasons. If family dollar does not follow these procedures, they are at fault and management should be fired for failing to do their job of training and making employees aware of policies. To state the obvious, that is what is what management is supposed to do.

Doubt it's an inside job. You wouldn't fire them, youd have them arrested. And such investigations would be done with assistance by the police, not internally. This was a robbery that happened, not swiping dollar bills when no ones around
    Last edited by wolverine; December-13-11 at 11:17 AM.