Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Rally to stop the eviction of detroiter kyra williams

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 6, 2011, 5:00 p.m.
    1140 HIBBARD, DETROIT
    [[just north of E. Jefferson, east of Van Dyke)

Kyra Williams had a lease agreement on a property located at 1140 Hibbard, Detroit, MI 48214. Ms. Williams and the landlord had an agreement under which she was paying rent with an option to buy the property. Kyra Williams paid a significant amount of money in rent to the landlord. 25% of the monthly payment was being collected for the purchase of the property.

Kyra Williams received notice of an eviction hearing for Dec. 21, 2009. The reason for the eviction hearing was that unbeknownst to Ms. Williams, the landlord and owner of the home had defaulted on the mortgage for the property with CitiMortgage.

Kyra Williams attended the 36th District Court hearing and tried to explain she was the tenant in the property and had a lease with option to purchase the property. The lender CitiMortgage finally agreed to sell the property to Ms. Williams. She provided proof of funding and even made repairs to the property in anticipation of purchasing the home in conformance with this agreement.

Ms. Williams waited the final approval of the sale and a closing date. Instead of a closing date, Ms. Williams recently received a message that CitiMortgage changed its mind and was moving forward with the eviction. A writ of eviction has already been signed and Ms. Williams can be evicted at any time.

The City of Detroit has lost 250,000 people to foreclosures and evictions because of the actions of all the major banks, Citi, Bank of America, Chase, Wells Fargo, etc., who have shown utter disregard for the rights of individuals like Ms. Williams and the destruction to our communities that evictions and foreclosures have wrought.

I hope things work out for Ms. Williams.

But if they don't, I hope Citi loses it shirt on the house.

I'm all about personal responsibility, doing things right, and earning your way. If the facts of your story are true, that's exactly what she was doing.

Maybe the can evict her and she can, or via proxy can obtain the home for even less than what she was going to pay.

Ravine Guest

I don't much give a damn what Ms. Williams did, or did not, do; if a mortgage company is the opponent, I'm on her side.

I know some of the righteous members on this forum [[you know, the ones that have never done anything wrong in their entire lives) are going to say my opinion is crazy. However, I think CitiMortgage should just sell the house to Kyra Williams for whatever it is she was going to pay them. Not that I care whether Kyra has done the right things in her life or not, because truthfully that's irrelevant. What matters is that CitiMortgage isn't going to be able to sell the house at all. Damn near every house in Detroit [[except a very few neighborhoods) is worthless. Unless CitiMortgage can just write the mortgage off the their books then they should work with Williams. Even if Williams only pays one mortgage payment, it'll way more than they'll get through any other process.

[[1) F**k CitiMortgage.
    [[2) Always record the option.
    [[3) Always hire a real estate attorney when dealing with lease/options. You can lose piles and piles of accumulated equity unless you have a secured interest in the property. Can be a good way to buy a house with bad credit, but you just need to be protected.

That house looks brand new. http://g.co/maps/pkges

Citi is crazy to not work with a potential buyer who already lives there. Whose money do they want? What is their motive?

I hate to sound like the bad guy, but its not the mortgage company we should be mad at, its the landlord who kept 25% of the monthly payments, and didn't pay the bank.

The problem is that Ms. Williams probably doesn't have good enough credit to obtain a mortgage on her own, and thats why she was leasing the place with a rent to own agreement.

I don't think its right for the mortgage company to just give this person a mortgage on the property due to the situation if they don't have sufficient credit to pay for it.

I think the fair thing here would just be to contunue to allow this lady to pay rent directly to the bank and have 25% of the payments go towards the principal remaining on the house.

If the Women gets evicted, the house will likely end up stripped and trashed. The sad truth is, the mortgage company will file a claim with their blanket provider and get paid for the damages anyway. The big guy wins, the little guy loses out, isn't that the way it usually goes?
    Last edited by softailrider; December-02-11 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    If the Women gets evicted, the house will likely end up stripped and trashed.
    That is what I was thinking [[plus burnt down to a crisp after it has been stripped and trashed). Unless they can write the loss off like you were suggesting, it doesn't matter about the credit Kyra Williams has or not. She'll likely pay far more for that house than anyone else would.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    That is what I was thinking [[plus burnt down to a crisp after it has been stripped and trashed). Unless they can write the loss off like you were suggesting, it doesn't matter about the credit Kyra Williams has or not. She'll likely pay far more for that house than anyone else would.
    The mortgage company doesn't want the loan, they don't want the house, they want nothing to do with Detroit property in most parts of the city. One way or another, that dwelling is going to get FU'ed, they'll have a claim filed, get a settllement and it'll be all's well that ends well for the mortgage company.

Occurrence Guest

My advice is to to whatever you can to screw the bank over, if at all possible.

My parents fell into a situation where they lost their house, and were given a deadline to be out. They have since purchased another home and relocated.

Upon doing so, they called the bank to find out who they give the house-keys to when the power gets shut off next week, only to told they are in consideration for some "Mortgage Reconsideration Program". Now they are learning they didn't really have to move all along, but they aren't even sure because they keep being told different things by different people.

They deal with Bank of America by the way, so if you do business with those turds, I strongly suggest you find a better alternative.

This is what I tell Kyla Williams. ' Caveat Emptor!'