Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 670 Boston Blvd.: Its History & Current Restoration

The Dec., 2011 issue of Hour Magazine has a major article, with text and pictures, about the history and current restoration/renovation of the Charles Fisher Mansion on Boston Blvd.

It's partially available for on-line viewing.
    http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...isher-Mansion/

I applaud what he is trying to do. It sometimes seems that we keep our old historic homes , a part of Detroit History, with little help from the powers to be in the City. If we older owners, folks who bought there houses, before historic tax zones had the same tax break as folks who bought after 2001+, living here would not be so much a financial challenge.

When you have an area like Boston-Edison or PalmerWoods, where a 5,500 sq ft. home bought in 1985 for $ 100,000. has property taxes of $ 12,000. Another house bought for $ 250,000, with 9,500 sq ft. has a property tax of $ 6,700.

If you want to preserve the great houses and the architectural gems of the early part of the twentieth century, There has to be incentive to restore and maintain, our Associations are doing their best. But a little help from the COD who treats us, with a little respect.

Enough Said!

Kinda lame you have to register to Hour Detroit to keep reading the article. It was just getting good then I was cut off from finishing. I guess nothing is free anymore huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Kinda lame you have to register to Hour Detroit to keep reading the article. It was just getting good then I was cut off from finishing. I guess nothing is free anymore huh?
    no. hour magazine is not a free publication. stop being a free loader and pay for their product.

It was just getting good then I was cut off from finishing. I guess nothing is free anymore huh?
    Nothing was ever free. Forgetting that is kinda how the whole world economy is a mess.....

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    no. hour magazine is not a free publication. stop being a free loader and pay for their product.
    Their "product" consists of 4 pages of articles and 89 pages of bullshit advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Their "product" consists of 4 pages of articles and 89 pages of bullshit advertisements
    Then don't buy it, but don't complain about how they aren't giving it away for free.

18,000 square feet is crazy huge. Like Hamptons billionaire huge.

I would like to see this guy's heating bill. Truly a labor of love, because I can't imagine this even remotely makes economic sense.

The only way that would make sense is to have upgraded the heating system to heat regions in the house; pretty hard to do in old houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    The only way that would make sense is to have upgraded the heating system to heat regions in the house; pretty hard to do in old houses.
    Assuming it's boiler/radiator heat, I'd imagine one could simply turn off the rads in unused rooms. That what we did in the home I grew up in.... which if of similar vintage to the Fisher mansion.

For some reason there was an article in the Denver Post a year ago. Isn't that a City of Detroit flag to the right of the front door?

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_16229299

I've got your free loader hanging mister. There are other sites that you can go on and read their content free of charge. I was making a general statement, and can do without your smart-a_ _ rebuttal.

Rather than discussing the restoration of 670 Boston Blvd, This thread is hell bent on discussing the fact that Detroit Hour Magazine charges for internet access.

From post # 3 down just another rant.

Here's the professor's page about the house: http://detroit1701.org/Fisher [[Charles) Home.html

I've got your free loader hanging mister. There are other sites that you can go on and read their content free of charge. I was making a general statement, and can do without your smart-a_ _ rebuttal.
    So? Hour detroit isn't one of them that gives total access for free. The Horror! Instead of getting snippy on a website about it, maybe you should write them a sternly worded letter about how you feel they should give you free access to their content...because other sites do... and how silly it is to actually expect anyone to pay for Hour's content. I'm sure they'll thoughtfully mull over and respond to that request.

So? Hour detroit isn't one of them that gives total access for free. The Horror! Instead of getting snippy on a website about it, maybe you should write them a sternly worded letter about how you feel they should give you free access to their content...because other sites do... and how silly it is to actually expect anyone to pay for Hour's content. I'm sure they'll thoughtfully mull over and respond to that request.
    With all due respect, was it necessary to call me a free loader? I certainly can pay for a subscription, that's not the issue. I was merely trying to make a point.