Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Snyder to begin process for Detroit emergency manager

Fasten your seat belts, this could be a bumpy ride ...

Snyder to begin process for Detroit emergency manager
    By Suzette Hackney - Detroit Free Press Staff Writer

Gov. Rick Snyder is expected as early as Friday to begin the process to appoint an emergency manager for the city of Detroit, the Free Press has learned.

Snyder is expected to call for a financial review, the first step in state intervention. Both Mayor Dave Bing and Detroit City Council have refused to initiate such a review.

Bing and Snyder had a conversation Wednesday, and Snyder informed the mayor he intended to start the emergency manager process.

Snyder also has been involved in conversations with the council and the faith-based community to gather support for state intervention, according to a source close to the situation...

http://www.freep.com/article/20111201/NEWS01/111201029/Snyder-begin-process-Detroit-financial-review-city-sets-5-p-m-news-conference?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE
    Last edited by bopcity; December-01-11 at 03:58 PM. Reason: updated link

Well, the budget must be balanced. If the democratically elected government of Detroit won't\can't do it, then someone appointed by the state will.

Good luck Detroit!

Wait wait wait, wasn't Bing saying that we did need an EFM? And now he's going back on it? I think he might have stuck his own foot in his mouth there...

Btw the link in OP's post takes you to the Freeps home page rather than the article itself.

... another depressing holiday season..

I wonder why religious community folks are to be at the press conference [[and just who, exactly? are the megachurch pastors going to chip in to balance the budgets?)..

And so, it begins. The final battle for the city of Detroit.

Folks, I have to teach this evening... I'd appreciate any liveblogging here or postmortem thoughts about the conference. Thanks in advance.

This is sad, but necessary. I hope it leads to better things for the city.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    What battle? Not with a bang, but a whimper. It could not be any worse than it is now, Look at the bright side, perhaps services will improve. Or, one could expect the worst, and get ready for Thunderdome. Your call.

If my worst fears are true, they'll probably appoint a union-hating ideologue who wants to sell off and privatize everything and will leave the city in worse financial shape than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    If my worst fears are true, they'll probably appoint a union-hating ideologue who wants to sell off and privatize everything and will leave the city in worse financial shape than ever.
    I don't think that will happen. I'm hoping for a middle ground being claimed, with some union contracts, work rules, and city government structure changed for the common good. I prefer that to a bankruptcy any day, since bankruptcy would be worse for the retirees interests, Now you may lose a few dollars, but I doubt that they will be bailing on their obligations totally.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

I wonder why religious community folks are to be at the press conference [[and just who, exactly? are the megachurch pastors going to chip in to balance the budgets?)..

I think Bing is not announcing a EFM at all. It's just a attention grab to curry favor for his plan. Or he's succeeded in extracting what he wanted from the unions?

and the faith-based community to gather support
    What the hell have the Bible-Thumpers got to say about anything?

I don't see this. Appointing an EFM is just one incident in the long arc of the city's decline. Possibly, this could be an inflection point on the arc, but I wouldn't even count on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

The "faith-based leaders" are the powerbrokers. You can't get anything done without including them, or they will sway public opinion against you. These flashy Cadillac-driving Reverends all need their piece of the pie. They have to get their face time in front of the camera, or their palm greased, in order to win over their support. Otherwise, they'll wield the influence they carry over their congregations against you.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    The "faith-based leaders" are the powerbrokers. You can't get anything done without including them, or they will sway public opinion against you. These flashy Cadillac-driving Reverends all need their piece of the pie.
    I've often wondered how many Detroit 'pastors' and 'ministers' actually have a theology degree. Three or four, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I've often wondered how many Detroit 'pastors' and 'ministers' actually have a theology degree. Three or four, maybe?
    Being a "Reverend" in Detroit is a guaranteed meal-ticket. And the best part is, anyone with an internet connection and a printer can become a "Reverend" practically overnight.

Isn't it amazing how many of these "servants of God" wear flashy suits and drive expensive cars?

The Reverends of Detroit are every bit as corrupt as the politicians. Remember they were in league with Kilpatrick even until his last day in office. These faith pimps make it their business to stick their noses into every political and financial aspect of the city, to the detriment of the people who live in the city.

Why does he need churches and the council to gather support.

He's already deemed himself grand poobach HNIC dictator who needs to save Detroit from Detroiters.

Why even patronize people further with this fake ass "support"?

lilpup Guest

Soooo - anyone surprised that Bing...he from elsewhere...got all pissy and jumped into a "Detroiters need to run Detroit" rant? Methinks he got clued in during his phone call with Snyder that his position is threatened by an EFM, 'cuz any EFM won't be HIM.

You hit the nail on the head, Lilpup. Bing thought he was going to be appointed EFM. When he found out he wasn't he suddenly became a big advocate of local control and empowerment.

One of the [[many) flaws of the EFM act is that the local mayor could be appointed EFM. This gives him incentive to let the city drift into a financial crisis so he can have otherwise unimaginable power. Remember, this spring, just a few months ago, Bing fought against council which wanted to make even deeper cuts.

He's demonstrated no competence in his term as mayor; nothing in his background or performance suggests that he should be EFM. He is now posturing as the 2nd coming of Coleman Young. Realizing that he is not in line to be EFM and could lose that salary he's just started collecting has prompted the sudden raising of a clinched fist.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't see this. Appointing an EFM is just one incident in the long arc of the city's decline. Possibly, this could be an inflection point on the arc, but I wouldn't even count on that.
    I know you can't see it. Most don't. What is saddest is that while our eyes are trained on Detroit, we aren't looking at what is happening elsewhere -- everywhere -- until it is too late. What an effective ruse.

Half of Michigan African Americans will soon be under the rule of an Emergency Manager:

http://www.eclectablog.com/2011/12/h...cans-will.html

If Detroiters deserve disenfranchisement because of their inability to elect competent politicians, riddle me this. Over the past 40 years, the American people have elected politicians who have completely sold the United States down the river. Should we then disenfranchise the entire nation? I ask that you think very carefully before you respond, and perhaps review the definitions of legal precedent...

[[Actually, with the bills currently winding their way through the House and the Senate, we're well on our way to this being a moot point... today, it's poor black and brown people who elect petty criminals, tsk tsk... but tomorrow, it will be you.)

lilpup Guest

Have you been paying attention to what is happening in Europe with the Euro crisis? Unelected technocrats are ending up in office because the politicians can't/won't make the hard decisions needed to avoid major financial meltdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Have you been paying attention to what is happening in Europe with the Euro crisis? Unelected technocrats are ending up in office because the politicians can't/won't make the hard decisions needed to avoid major financial meltdowns.
    Right. It is sad... as soon as I heard the news earlier, this quote popped into memory:

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause."
    [[Padme Amidala, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith)

An earlier generation of people, halfway around the world, got fed up with their corrupt elected politicians and the terrible economy. And if weren't for Godwin's law [[snerk), I'd share the name of the person who they applauded after elections were suspended.

I know why people are applauding this. I get their point, because I've been more directly affected than many making it. I've had to live my entire life amid these ruins, attending these schools, and [[not) receiving these services.

But as one of my buddies in Wisconsin stated this evening, the EM/EFM laws are some of the most dangerous legislation this country has ever produced. If we're ready not to be the United States, but to be some other people, let's have that conversation... but this action, this precedent, would make us something else.
    Last edited by English; December-01-11 at 09:18 PM.

I know you can't see it. Most don't. What is saddest is that while our eyes are trained on Detroit, we aren't looking at what is happening elsewhere -- everywhere -- until it is too late. What an effective ruse.
    Well, we will only know in hindsight, but my guess is that the reason "most don't" is that there is nothing to see.

If Detroiters deserve disenfranchisement because of their inability to elect competent politicians, riddle me this. Over the past 40 years, the American people have elected politicians who have completely sold the United States down the river. Should we then disenfranchise the entire nation?
    I don't agree with the "completely sold the United States down the river" idea, but I do believe that the Federal legislative process is not functional and largely controlled by people who don't have the general or long-term interest of the nation in mind. If there were a legitimate higher level of government that could come in and clean up the mess at the Federal level, I'd be pretty inclined to go for it.

Anyway, I am not someone who feels that the government of the city of Detroit is so responsive to the citizenry that removing some of its autonomy is really all that big an imposition.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast