Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Cass Tech Football Championship Parade Pictures

Let's have a shout out for Cass Tech, first DPS school to win a division state football title drubbing perennial high school football power Catholic Central in the final game. Their success was celebrated with a parade on Monday Dec. 5.

Cass Tech Football Players cradle their Division 1 State Championship Trophy prior to a wintery victory parade down Woodward Avenue.

The Cass Tech Marching Band warms up the crowd in Grand Circus Park Prior to the parade.

To the band's left, the Cass Tech Sophisticated Ladies dance to the music.

Construction workers on the under-restoration Broderick Tower pause to take in the festivities.

The parade assembles with the historic First Methodist and St. John's Episcopal Churches as their backdrop.

This year's unexpected champs carry their prize down Woodward.

Congrats to Cass Tech!

The Detroit Public Schools on Monday will host a parade along Woodward Avenue downtown to celebrate Detroit Cass Tech’s historic state football championship. The parade will be followed by a rally and an all-class “tailgate” reunion at the school. Cass Tech is the first DPS team to win the Michigan Division 1 high school football championship. The Technicians took the title at Ford Field on Saturday, with a 49-13 victory over Novi Detroit Catholic Central. The Dec. 5 parade will feature players, alumni, students, the cheer team, marching band, parents and floats, DPS officials announced today. The Parade Company is organizing the event’s logistics. It will begin at 1:30 p.m. at Grand Circus Park and head south on Woodward Ave, concluding with a rally. From 3-5 p.m. the school will welcome alumni from all classes for a reunion.
    Freep Link

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Let's have a shout out for Cass Tech, first DPS school to win a division state football title drubbing perennial high school football power Catholic Central in the final game.

Their success will be celebrated with a parade on Monday Dec. 5.

Overshadowed by this event is King HS winning of the Division 2 state title. A great year for CoD Public HS sports. Congrats to both teams and schools!

Freep Link
    Isn't that a school day?

Sports are more important than education.

Wow! Looks like most Detroit Public School High School football program are the major powerhouse. Catholic Central is coming up next. This makes other suburban and ex-urban and High School football programs jealous.

I got a facebook post from a CC fan inviting all CC fans to show up and cheer for the Technicians. Most feel bad.

Um, word is that when Catholic Central won their last state championship, they got the entire school day off.

1:30 pm is actually pretty late in the CT school day, or at least it was when I was teaching there. So it's not even a half day, but what amounts to an early dismissal.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I got a facebook post from a CC fan inviting all CC fans to show up and cheer for the Technicians. Most feel bad.
    What a wonderful gesture. I hope some new friendships are forged through it. I'm sure some of the CC and CT guys will end up on the same college teams.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    What a wonderful gesture. I hope some new friendships are forged through it. I'm sure some of the CC and CT guys will end up on the same college teams.
    If I was a Shamrock, I'd be there, but I'm a Spartan and have two meetings scheduled for that time period already! Ahh the fun of being an overworked City Planner with ever decreasing pay!

Congrats Cass Tech!

I had enjoyed watching the majorettes perform on that link above.The coordination and handling of the banton were excellent

Thank you for the photos Lowell. Good to see the celebration captured for those of us who could not attend. Go CASS TECH!

Congrats to the Technicians! I have the priviledge of working with many alums, and I know they're very proud!

Together...
    Forever....
    and Ever and Ever...
    CT !!!

Hey, my high school, Mackenzie, won it all back in 1943.....you all remember that, dont'cha??? Seems like yesterday..........

Congrats, Cass Tech!!!

It took just such a tremendous event to bring Zulu Warrior out of retirement. Good job All you Techs!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Gotta LOOOOOOVE high school girls. I get older and they stay the same.

Mmmm. Yes they do.

LOL @Gnome!

It seems to me that over the past 70 years Detroit Public High School football teams still dominates The Michigan State Division Football in any conferences. Well done Cass Tech High School.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    It seems to me that over the past 70 years Detroit Public High School football teams still dominates The Michigan State Division Football in any conferences. Well done Cass Tech High School.
    Not so. You could make the argument for Metro Detroit High Schools, but not the DPS. Only King in 2007 has been a DPS winner in the past 35 year. That is why this win is so big. Add to that Cass did it in Division 1 and drubbed Catholic Central which has won 10 times in the same time span.

http://michigan-football.com/football.htm