Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Woodward and Selden demolition today

This one was taken at 12:30

618 by Zack Blackerby, on Flickr

and at 3:45

630 by Zack Blackerby, on Flickr

635 by Zack Blackerby, on Flickr

By the way, I see no work has begun at the Garden Theater. Any news on that project?

Finally! Maybe this means the whole project is moving forward...?

Think I read about this. Didn't the plans call for preserving the 19th century part of the streetwall?

Yes, with new construction where Zakoor's was.

http://woodwardgardensdetroit.com/theproject.php

The building that was there looked awful. Glad it's gone and something better will take its place. The new building with the restored facades should complete the streetwall on that block nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by ismoakrack View Post
    Yes, with new construction where Zakoor's was.

http://woodwardgardensdetroit.com/theproject.php

Thank goodness. The old Zakoor's looked horrible.

Awesome! Thanks for the pics.

Of course right after I ask a question about the Garden Theater it is mentioned in an article. lol

"The historic Garden Theater is being renovated into a performance, retail and conference center. Developers will use a $100,000 grant to pay for a portion of the cost to outfit the building with energy-saving features. The remodeled facility will have energy-efficient lights, doors and windows, new roof insulation and a new HVAC system."

http://www.earthtechling.com/2011/11...own-buildings/

Hey Zack, that very first picture - the three story building in the center? I spent at least an hour in front of that building Thanksgiving morning. I was a marcher in one of the parade floats and we had about an hour to kill before the parade started, I spent quite a bit of time admiring that building. It looks like a modern post-fitted facade may have recently been removed that covered up the beautiful original details of the building. It really is an attractive old building. It's nice to see a number of old Detroit buildings being returned to their original facades and even in some cases, original interiors. I was recently at the Broderick Tower open house and the space that housed the former Flaming Embers has been gutted and some original details such as floor tiles [[possibly Pewabic) and ceiling frescoes have been discovered and where possible the plan is to restore them for a future restaurant they plan for that space.

Finally - after so many years, much of the old Detroit architecture is being recovered and restored. And adios to Zakoor - it was a great place but not a great building.

New apartments, retail and music venue at the Garden Theatre building site. What a way to redevelop midtown. Part of Detroit's premier development opportunity. Woodward business corridor is coming back to life.