Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Occurrence Guest

Default Lions Thanksgiving halftime show?

I know times are tough here at the moment, but was Nickleback seriously the best they could do? I thought I heard there was a petition out there to oust the band, but those petitions don't mean anything. What an embarrassment for the city, epically since the city has an excellent music scene.

They could of least had Kid Rock play the show. His music is equally bad, but at least he's local and supports the city. Who made the decision to have Nickleback play? And why do they still have a job?

We'll have to agree to disagree on Kid Rock being as bad as Nickleback but Kid Rock performed the year before. I was there, Nickleback was awful, and yes there music is horrid but the NFL is the boss and they make the rules. The petition and dismay by Lion's fans this year should hopefully setup a better act next year, but who knows.

Occurrence Guest

I actually did watch the show on television just so I could see how bad they were. I was laughing at the people dancing passionately in front of the stage while the band was playing. How do these dancing people take themselves seriously? They are dancing to fricken Nickleback for Christ's sake.

Obviously someone likes that band, because they continue to taint pop culture with their mediocrity. Nickleback seems like the last band an NFL fan would listen to, but whatever.

It's not about who likes what. It about who pays what.

Nickelback has a new album coming out. Obviously the record co. promoters and the NFL worked something out. Nickelback gets promotion. The NFL gets paid.

That said, 99% of it is all garbage anyway. Yes, even Kid Rock, Seger, etc that many folks fawn over. Boring. Generic. Bland.

Quote Originally Posted by yupislyr View Post
    It's not about who likes what. It about who pays what.

Nickelback has a new album coming out. Obviously the record co. promoters and the NFL worked something out. Nickelback gets promotion. The NFL gets paid.

That said, 99% of it is all garbage anyway. Yes, even Kid Rock, Seger, etc that many folks fawn over. Boring. Generic. Bland.
    Agreed.

There's a serious lack of good music these days.

No one puts their soul in it anymore. Everyone just wants to make a quick buck.

I liked it so much better in the 'old days' when the Wayne State marching band would take the field and go through their routine.

Modern music sucks. Anything from Elvis on.

You may now dis me.

Aren't most people taking a squirt at halftime?

If people don't like the halftime show they should just go on their computer and punch in their favorite band/singer on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I liked it so much better in the 'old days' when the Wayne State marching band would take the field and go through their routine........
    .... and when the fans would rip out and burn the Briggs Stadium bleacher seats to keep warm!

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Agreed.

There's a serious lack of good music these days.

No one puts their soul in it anymore. Everyone just wants to make a quick buck.
    There is terrific music out there these days, it is just hard to find and not heard on the radio.

Funny how the likes of Amy Winehouse [[RIP), Adele [[who does have a good voice), Duffy, etc., have become popular in recent years when their music is Motown re-wrapped as something different from across the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Aren't most people taking a squirt at halftime?

If people don't like the halftime show they should just go on their computer and punch in their favorite band/singer on youtube.
    My family, through pure chance, had our Thanksgiving dinner start right at the end of the second quarter. We shut off the TV, ate, and when we came back the third quarter had just started. PERFECT TIMING!

ok, first of all, i agree with all of you about the music. first of all, the choice was made because the song lyrics are used by the United Way campaign this season. go back and watch the video and look behind the stage in the stands. ticket holders hold up placards that make the United Way logo.
    second, those are not fans of nickelback, they are all volunteers who have been practicing for days on all the dancing, flag waving and yes...screaming fans charging the stage.

Lions lost terribly against the Packers. Suh was being a very bad sport and starting kick and puching a Packer football player. Football is not about punching and kicking and westling. It's going out into grassy ground and having great time making points. It's not about the yards, being competitive just to impress people.

It pains me to see much of what tops the charts these days, but Nickelback is particularly awful.

I changed the channel the second the first half ended. We looked at vacation photos during halftime.

Does anyone actually watch the halftime show? I used it to go get in the restroom line and then grab a beer and a pretzel.

I too remember when the Wayne band used to march over from the parade [[they were usually at the end, near Santa) and take to the Tiger Stadium field at halftime. Much more like a real football game than the made-up promotional wannabe concerts with terrible sound that the NFL foists on us for $$ reasons these days.

Of course, the Wayne folks may have a bit much on their hands these days, since Wayne's football team won their playoff game on Saturday and is on their way to the national quarter-finals next weekend for the first time ever. So MSU is not the only college team from the State of Michigan still playing...

I heard half boos and half applause while watching it on TV. I tried sitting through the performance too see if I was being to harsh on them.

Needless to say, I regret wasting that much time trying to watch something I didn't enjoy.
    Last edited by animatedmartian; November-28-11 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    I was laughing at the people dancing passionately in front of the stage while the band was playing. How do these dancing people take themselves seriously? They are dancing to fricken Nickleback for Christ's sake..
    the majority of those "dancing people" are teenagers who worked very hard practing for the show. i know several of those kids and they chose to dance for this on top having to go to school and homework. so let's give them a little bit of credit. and it wasn't their choice on who was playing during halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
    I heard half boos and half applause while watching it on TV. I tried sitting through the performance to see if I was being to harsh on them.
    I heard kind of an indistinct muffled but overly loud roaring noise from the bathroom, followed by a lot of people saying how glad they were that they didn't stay in their seats and actually watch that.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    the majority of those "dancing people" are teenagers who worked very hard practing for the show. i know several of those kids and they chose to dance for this on top having to go to school and homework. so let's give them a little bit of credit. and it wasn't their choice on who was playing during halftime.
    Why were dancers even out there though? Nickleback isn't even a band you dance too.

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    Why were dancers even out there though? Nickleback isn't even a band you dance too.
    That's what entertainment is. Doing nonsensical things in the hopes that you'll enjoy it and buy the marvelous products advertised.

Occurrence Guest

I guess you're right.

I still have to wonder how those dancers kept a straight face or maintained any artistic integrity knowing they are dancing to that band. I'm sure they worked hard to prepare, yada yada yada, but come on. Upon finding out who was playing, I'd have to sit that one out. Fake the flu or something.

You seem awful worked up over one bad halftime show. Frankly, I'm far more worked up over the bad game, which is, after all, what I actually paid to see. Are you the same one who was on here a few weeks ago trying to get a petition going over this non-issue?

One of the better half time shows than the crap they use at the superbowl. 'Rolling Stones' They're from the 1900's for pete sake! 'The who' Yup their name says it all, who are these old people from the retirement home?

Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen they're old enough to be my great grandfather.

Let us put that into perspective. The Stones were at their peak in 1970. Did the 1970 Super Bowl promoters figure that Victoria Spivey performing Detroit Moan was the height of hip?

The irony of my post is that Detroit Moan has more relevance to Detroit than anything these current acts can come up with.

"Detroit's a cold, cold place and I ain't got a dime to my name"

Halftime on the telecasts can be brutal. You either get Nickelback's latest hit song or Matt Millen talking about the best players in the upcoming draft. Tough choice. I'm all for tuning out and taking a leak.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast